Anybody ever bought a bike withOUT a title? - Page 2 - Honda ATV Forum
ATV Purchasing and Price Getting ready to purchase your first ATV? Discussions concerning ATV comparisons, models, prices, and all purchasing related questions.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 09:20 AM

Liked: 25 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiles View Post
A new way they get their cut , when you sell something , you can't just say $100 cause it needed some repairs , they want the taxes on what it should be worth by year , so for you to sell something for less than blue book you need to pay a certified appraiser to access a valve to it and get a written assessment from him

Of course...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2778 times
Parasites suck. Bunch of useless eaters stealing our labors. Apparently with our permission.
Jeepwm69 likes this.

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 12:10 PM

Liked: 2954 times
I called my insurance company and they said my homeowner's policy would cover my bike against theft.

I think the ONLY bike I have a title on is the wife's 420AT. All of the rest, including the one I bought new from the dealership either didn't come with a title or were never titled when bought new.

In Arkansas you are supposed to title them, so the state can ding you in property taxes every year. Since the king will not allow me to use his roads even after paying such tax, I refuse to pay the tax, and do not title anything that doesn't get a street legal license plate on it.

I would, however, run the VIN before you buy unless the original owner has paperwork.

Call an LEO buddy or try this to see if it's stolen.

https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forum...mber-free.html

Also need to check for liens on a bike. That can prove a bit trickier. Here in small town USA I can call my local DMV and if the bike has been titled they'll tell me whether or not it has a lien on it. If it hasn't been titled the original purchaser probably thinks like I do and didn't title it to begin with. If a lien was taken out on the bike then the lender would have required a title to be issued.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 129 times
Thanks for all the comments fellas. I know I am 100% legally the owner of the bike. I was questioning about a title for insurance reasons. I contacted my insurance company after making this post to asked them about insuring the bike and also questioned them about insuring the bike without a title.

They replied

“It is possible to get insurance without a title; however, if the ATV should happen to be a "total loss", you would need to provide a title to State Farm in order for us to pay you.”

I then asked if I could do thief only. There reply was

“No, you can’t do thief only but you can do thief and liability”

Personally I’m only worried about thief, not that I think it’s gonna get stolen but having insurance on it would make me sleep a little better at night, knowing it is insured for when it’s at the deer lease for weeks/months at a time which happens to be 5hrs away so I can’t simply stop by and check on it often.

If it’s to much BS to get a title ima just say screw it. The entire reason I bought a used bike is because it will be left up at the lease during the season and didn’t want to have a brand new bike to worry about. So it’s no biggie if it’s to much BS.

Oh and I did ask if it was a agreed value or book value and they said book value. So depending on the book value of the bike would be another reason not to go through the BS of a title if it’s book value is much less than I paid. Where can I find the book value?

Quote:
A new way they get their cut , when you sell something , you can't just say $100 cause it needed some repairs , they want the taxes on what it should be worth by year , so for you to sell something for less than blue book you need to pay a certified appraiser to access a valve to it and get a written assessment from him
Is this new? I “know someone” that has bought and sold vehicles as donations and didn’t have to pay the taxes.

Wayne

2012 Rancher 420: 25" Maxxis Zillas - Polished 12" ITP Wheels - Custom Retrofitted 5000K HID Projector Headlights With Amber LED Parking Lights - Dual 9Ē Single Row LED Light Bars - KFI Winch Mount - Badlands 2500lb Winch With Disconnect, 6000lb Synthetic Rope & Aluminum Fairlead - Dry Box Mounted On Fender - Custom Stainless Steel Front Basket Rack - Ceramic Coated
Next Mod: Front & Rear Basket Racks

Last edited by Z7What; 07-31-2018 at 02:14 PM.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 02:29 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6326 times
Garage
I don't know too much about donations -------- I know at least 2 years or more on the true valve , since I was burned with that one ----------
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 02:39 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
Jeep , I need to either get the name of your company for homeowners or move to Arkansas as my insurance told me the atv's are not covered unless I add a separate policy , we pay enough already $2,000 a year for homeowners and $500 for flood
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 02:40 PM

Liked: 25 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z7What View Post
Thanks for all the comments fellas. I know I am 100% legally the owner of the bike. I was questioning about a title for insurance reasons. I contacted my insurance company after making this post to asked them about insuring the bike and also questioned them about insuring the bike without a title.

They replied

ďIt is possible to get insurance without a title; however, if the ATV should happen to be a "total loss", you would need to provide a title to State Farm in order for us to pay you.Ē

I then asked if I could do thief only. There reply was

ďNo, you canít do thief only but you can do thief and liabilityĒ

Personally Iím only worried about thief, not that I think itís gonna get stolen but having insurance on it would make me sleep a little better at night, knowing it is insured for when itís at the deer lease for weeks/months at a time which happens to be 5hrs away so I canít simply stop by and check on it often.

If itís to much BS to get a title ima just say screw it. The entire reason I bought a used bike is because it will be left up at the lease during the season and didnít want to have a brand new bike to worry about. So itís no biggie if itís to much BS.

Oh and I did ask if it was a agreed value or book value and they said book value. So depending on the book value of the bike would be another reason not to go through the BS of a title if itís book value is much less than I paid. Where can I find the book value?

Quote:
Is this new? I ďknow someoneĒ that has bought and sold vehicles as donations and didnít have to pay the taxes.

Wayne

Each state is different in regards to the sales tax structure. In LA, we used to be able to ďgiftĒ these items (cars, boats, bikes, etc.) but now they tax you on the value of the machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 03:04 PM

Liked: 1904 times
I have bought a bunch of things over the yrs without a title, many times it was a blind gamble, and many times it was due to out of state or owner lost or never had the title
every state is different
if you can RUN the vin your ahead of the game before buying, but that doesn't always tell the whole story
every state has different rules
in PA< to get a title, you need a copy of bill of sale, from resident or non resident sale
then you can just request a PA title , and they will do a search on VIN and issue you one as long as vin is clean
LEGALLY, all ATV's in PA< must be registered and to register a ATV here it HAS to have a title
and to insure it here, they tend to require it to be registered
so ALMOST all things in PA< should have titles , anything that doesn't tends to set off red flags here to me!

things CAN be stolen and takes owners a bit to know(all the more so with many folks that keep atv's at hunting camps and vacation homes here and don't be at them all yr to report one stolen)
if you BUY it, and it ends up stolen here, your OUT of luck unless you can GET who ever you paid to pay you back(good luck with that too)
so again, just cause a cop runs the vin today< doesn't mean it cannot be reported stolen later on and you could end up in trouble or out $$$, or for sure here in PA

so, again EVERY state had different rules and regulations on titrles
best advice is check with YOUR local DMV< or DCNR or who ever handles ATV's in your state
better safe than sorry , and a few minutes of work on your part can save you a lot of $$$ if you end up screwed for not checking first before buying!
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 04:13 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
last year a friend got burned with sales taxes , he bought his son a Yamaha dirt bike in Mississippi and didn't pay La. sales tax on the sales cause he lives in La. , the next year his son wanted a new 4 wheeler , so he made a deal with Honda in Covington , La. and traded i the dirt bike , he said everything was about done and the salesman come back and said you have a problem , the taxes came up as not being paid at sale o0 the dirt bike in Mississippi , so they added that original tax money to his new note
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 07:09 PM

Liked: 255 times
States I've lived in calculated sales tax from the price listed on the bill of sale. A number that's easily fudged, if one were so inclined. Of course, I only seem to ever buy old stuff. Good luck getting published market pricing on a 25+ year old ATV or boat, for instance.

'87 TRX350D

Last edited by retro; 08-01-2018 at 08:43 PM. Reason: language

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV Purchasing and Price

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode