oil leak - Honda ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

oil leak

2004 Honda rancher -- small oil leak, above the gold plug in the attached picture. Any ideas on where it's leaking from? Can anyone identify that gold plug? Please help.

oil leak-2017-03-19.png
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4259 times
Garage
what your calling gold plug ?, that is either your oil temp sensor ?, or neutral switch ?, hard to tell from the angle of the pic ?. i'm guessing you took this pic from under the atv ?.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
kinda confused here ?, why am I seeing a tie rod with a boot on it in the back ground ?, trx350 ranchers don't have this on them ?, not that I know of ??. what is the full year/make/model is this ???.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Yes the picture is from under the 4wheeler. It a 2004 trx400fa. The gold plug in picture has a boot on the end that slips on and off. I'm not sure if boot is supposed to be wired to gold plug. Plus the oil is leaking from behind the body where the gold plug is at. Sorry I can't describe it better.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Don't know why tie wrap is there. The 4wheeler is 04 trx400fa. Picture was taken from under the 4wheeler. Im worried that the boot and good plug should be wired together. Then oil is leaking from the housing that the gold plug in attached to . Maybe a gasket of some kind. Sorry I can't describe it any better
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clporter70 View Post
Don't know why tie wrap is there. The 4wheeler is 04 trx400fa. Picture was taken from under the 4wheeler. Im worried that the boot and good plug should be wired together. Then oil is leaking from the housing that the gold plug in attached to . Maybe a gasket of some kind. Sorry I can't describe it any better
that gold plug is either your oil temp sensor ?, or it's your neutral/gear position switch ?. it has a copper sealing washer under it, or shall I say, the switch/sensor pokes through the washer when you screw it in the case. it's prob leaking from the washer area ?, you can't get the switch/sensor out without loosing oil !. sooo, you must either jack the back end way up ?, or drain your oil ?. i'd go the jack the end up if it was mine. as for the rubber boot and wire ?, It snaps onto the center of that switch/sensor. odds are, that is your oil temp sensor :-).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode