Too anyone looking into buying a used atv ! - Honda ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4211 times
Garage
Too anyone looking into buying a used atv !

Hey gang, I don't recall if this has been said lately ?, but I figured I would take a few min's to pass on some great info to anyone looking at buying a used atv ?. First , never...EVER TAKE ANYONES WORD ON NOTHING WRONG WITH IT ?, or..it ran when I parked it ?. do not..i repeat..DO NOT BEILEVE THIS !!!!!. Second , it's used...DO YOU REALLY, HONESTLY THINK IT NEEDS NOTHING ?, if you believe this ?, then I've got some beach front property in AZ i'll sell ya !..lol. I am going to post a sticky in the repair section on what to check when looking into buying a used atv, then maybe we won't see members joining us, telling us, they are buying this..or buying that, and they want to know what to look for ?, what to check ?, where to look ?, then you can decide on what the price is REALLY WORTH ?, or you should not walk ?, but RUN AWAY !. ( or your pockets are deep ? )...lol. P.S. please keep in mind, unless you have purchased atvs from this same person ?, and it was what they said it was ?, or you know of their work ?, then please..by all means, jump all over it ! :-).
Sir_Diealotz and jrcowboy like this.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 07:23 AM

Liked: 1902 times
HAHA< sadly Shade I think 90% of folks don't come on here till they HAVE an issue after they bought an atv .

lack of foresight is way too common!
_Wilson_ and jrcowboy like this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 08:00 AM

Liked: 211 times
Garage
If you do what I do and only buy machines that are blown up or already in pieces you don't have to worry about whether it runs or not!!

Rob
shadetree, SamUK, jrcowboy and 1 others like this.

I've owned many Hondas over the years, with 2, 3 and 4 wheels.
Iím always buying and selling projects and parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 09:43 AM

Liked: 344 times
I trust people/dealers selling stuff like I trust the government.. I DON'T!! Little ole granny grampa, only used it around the yard, Adult owned, never modified, regular maintenance, BLA BLA BLA. Pretty much all Bull (#t..
shadetree and jrcowboy like this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
HAHA< sadly Shade I think 90% of folks don't come on here till they HAVE an issue after they bought an atv .

lack of foresight is way too common!
true, but, here lately, I have seen members joining us, and coming up with this question if it's worth such and such ?. just trying to give them an idea what to expect, that's all :-).
jrcowboy likes this.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. feelgood View Post
If you do what I do and only buy machines that are blown up or already in pieces you don't have to worry about whether it runs or not!!

Rob
yep, that's how I buy my projects, already busted up !..lmao. ( cheaper that way ).
jrcowboy likes this.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 04:01 PM

Liked: 1902 times
shade I did this a while back
I think a LOT of things are covered in here that also fit for buying a used ATV too

and I hear you on just trying to help, that's why I started this tread long ago

https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...long-time.html

just I would add to new buyers to inspect the wheels , for wheel bearings, air filter to see if its clean or in BAD shape, check oil and see what it looks like and smells like
any fuel smell, is a red flag!

but between these and what ever you add, I think can help MAYBE some that take/make the effort to look before buying!
jrcowboy likes this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 06:48 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1285 times
Good comments. AMA posted a used ATV checklist which might be handy as a stickies under the Used ATV Section.

http://americanmotorcyclist.com/Home...ing-a-used-atv
jrcowboy likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 11:19 AM

Liked: 34 times
Garage
If you can fix all manner of things then you are a used buyer. I couldn't fix a shot put consequently I try to get the best deal I can from a dealer on a new item.

Agree with above about all the claims, little ole lady rode it to church, always stored indoors, never was turned over, oil changed religiously, sure thing and there are snow cones in the nether world.
shadetree and jrcowboy like this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslb View Post
If you can fix all manner of things then you are a used buyer. I couldn't fix a shot put consequently I try to get the best deal I can from a dealer on a new item.

Agree with above about all the claims, little ole lady rode it to church, always stored indoors, never was turned over, oil changed religiously, sure thing and there are snow cones in the nether world.
I can afford fixer-uppers, it's new that kills me !..lmao. I love to wrench ?.sooo..i'll buy broken, busted basket cases, tear them down, and rebuild them like new again :-). this way..i will know that atv inside and out !, top to bottom, front to back, no better way to understand what you have then :-). anddddddddd..I get to learn while I tear it down..lol.
jrcowboy likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode