Riding Topography - Honda ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 163 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 346 times
Riding Topography

Just curious where different members do their recreational riding. Flat forested trails, low wetland riding, mountain Forest Service trails? Unless I'm looking in the wrong place I don't see too many photos of the scenery with ATV's in the foreground and where folks ride. I have the great privilege of mountain trail riding and have only scratched the surface of the area we have available to us. Looking forward to the 2016 riding season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150907_163721.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	3.18 MB
ID:	43306   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150810_093203.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	3.98 MB
ID:	43314   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150810_102909.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	2.45 MB
ID:	43322   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150726_133437.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	43330   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150709_143849.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	3.39 MB
ID:	43338  

Macarena Man and Jmm24 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 163 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 08:19 AM

Location: 'Land of Grizzlies and Salmon' .... British Columbia
Liked: 674 times
Our 'topo' here in British Columbia is much like yours ...... beautiful!
Thousands and thousands of miles of logging road in every condition here, with virtually no restrictions.

Being a former logger ..... your second photo looks to have some 'bug kill' timber ?
Enjoy your photo's !
Freedomflyer likes this.

'99 Honda Foreman 450ES
'99 Honda Foreman 450S ....
post #3 of 163 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 08:31 AM

Liked: 2060 times
in my home state, most of what we ride here is old coal mine lands, either left as is, or re claimed by the state, with a large amount of old roads left behind!
can be super steep or some what flat every couple hundred yards
scenery isn't that great by most folks standards, in fact, much of the coal mine lands are called eye sore's in out area by a lot of the public

we do have a lot of forests here as well, which you get some better scenery and get to ride old logging roads and powerline roads, and some Natural gas ways!
but 99% of these lands in all are private and most riders are trespassing to ride there
in PA< we have very little free to the public places to ride
trespassing to ride is the norm, and law enforcement is very lax in helping land owners
and as such, all the riders trespass at will knowing odds of a fine are small
a shame to me
but its where folks up here ride

I'm lucky I have about 10,000+ acres I have access to LEGALLY
but few riders in pa play by the legal rules to ride!

I wish I had the scenery you guys to
I have been lucky enough to make it to the rocky's, both in the USA< and Canada, and the sights were always worth the travel!
I wish I could spend more time in places like that to be honest!
but budget doesn';t allow, so, stuck here in PA ! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 163 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Macarena Man, yes, we've had our share of beetle kill in our area, we need a good ole fashion winter of about 45 below for 3 weeks or so to kill those stubborn little suckers. Would love to see some of your photos of the areas you ride in. I can't imagine riding anywhere else than we do and being new to the sport, wondering why we didn't bite the bullet and do it years ago when our kids were small. Now they're all but gone and have their own interests. Each time we go and find a new area I just want everybody to see the beauty of Gods creation. Areas that I would never have seen without the use of our trail systems and having a dependable ATV to get us there. Looking forward to getting our other one back from the shop to be able to take others with us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150722_165238.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	3.81 MB
ID:	43346   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150722_145325.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	43354   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151014_124706.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	43362   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150607_165811.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	3.63 MB
ID:	43370   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150607_161109.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	43378  

Macarena Man and Jmm24 like this.
post #5 of 163 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

mrbb, would love to be able to share it, holy cow it's a long ways from PA to MT!!!!!! I understand, I guess you'll have to live vicariously through our phots Problem is, our riding season is unbelievably short. Trails don't open til June 16th and we're stating to get snow sometimes latter part of September, Trails shut down around the end of October but to get caught up in the Mountains on some of these trails when they are wet is well.........butt puckering to say the least. They're awesome when they're dry not so much when wet or snow covered.

Last edited by Freedomflyer; 05-16-2016 at 10:00 AM.
post #6 of 163 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomflyer View Post
mrbb, would love to be able to share it, holy cow it's a long ways from PA to MT!!!!!! I understand, I guess you'll have to live vicariously through our phots Problem is, our riding season is unbelievably short. Trails don't open til June 16th and we're stating to get snow sometimes latter part of September, Trails shut down around the end of October but to get caught up in the Mountains on some of these trails when they are wet is well.........butt puckering to say the least. They're awesome when they're dry not so much when wet or snow covered.
Freedomflyer
I have been out your way a few times over the yrs, spent a bunch of time's
from Glacier National Park area, Bozeman, and into Cooke CIty, and the west entrance of Yellow stone Park

I have also been snowmobiling out west, in places in MT like Cooke City, and down from there to Pinedale WY, along the Continental divide

the scenery is also outstanding in winter time as it is in summer and fall, and spring!
each has its perks of things to see!
have to admit I like the color changes of fall best!

I been lucky I been able to travel a lot over the yrs, in many ways, been able to ride atv' and motorcycles snowmobiles and 4x4 trucks and jeeps in a lot of cool places across the lower 48 and Alaska and into many parts Canada,

almost all make me wish I could go back for more seat time there
its funny how we can take for granted things so easy!
post #7 of 163 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

If possible you ought to make the trek again and maybe we could meet up an go someplace I haven't been yet. My wife and I would definitely like to get over to the Cooke City area, I think we're going to try to get into Northern Idaho Late July mid August, I've been researching that area looks to be pretty awesome. It also sounds like you've done more riding in my state than I have. At least more areas than I have, but "Lord willin' and we stay healthy" we've got some good years ahead of us to roll over a bunch of trails. There's dozens in our area that we still haven't even touched yet.

Don't get me wrong, I like the mountains in the winter as well, just on a different type of machine. Something made for the snow that doesn't have wheels that need to keep you where you're going

Been up around West Yellowstone several time on sleds and it's a blast, have to make a choice on which toy to have and the 4 wheelers seem to be the most versatile, great for moving the white stuff in the winter months.

The ATV was more or less the wife's idea, but I'm going to keep working on her and hope to talk her into a road bike at some point. That's fun too!
post #8 of 163 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 07:09 PM

Haha, I hear you, I sold my selds yrs back to get a. Wheeler due to more seasons to use it, but I missed the sleds, so, had to have them tooHah.
I also have always been a motorcycle guy, lost count on how many I have gone thru over the yrs. More MX type than street bikes, but owned a bunch of them too.
I think over the yrs I have had about all the different types of toys you can ride roads, dirt or paved, or snow, and even water, boats and jet ski's
like I said been lucky to have had all the things I had.
as for getting out your way again. I really do hope to again, if my budget ever allows for more trips, But I think it will another snowmobile trip, before an ATV one.
for crazy reasons, I still seem to like sleds better. Not by much, but if I swing another trip, it will be in the snow LOL
post #9 of 163 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Been trying to talk the wife into some sleds too, we have one more at home and he has two years of school left so the empty nest is coming. We don't need anything new and there are always killer deals on Craigslist when spring comes. Generally people who haven't used them as much as they thought they would, and find they are just taking up space. I've seen pairs that are 8-10 years old, been stored in a garage or heated space with 1500-2000 miles on them in perfect shape, with a two place trailer for 5000-6000 dollars. So if we ever did that would probably be what we would go for. I don't have to have new, even though my wife did grow up on sleds when we have ridden we don't get too carried away and go side hill traversing or anything too crazy. Too many folks taken out each year by avalanches in our area. Too much high marking on the steep slopes and not enough common sense I guess. I'll keep you posted if we ever acquire anything, that would be a lot of fun to meet up. FF
post #10 of 163 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 07:47 AM

Location: 'Land of Grizzlies and Salmon' .... British Columbia
Liked: 674 times
Have enjoyed Montana many times ..... numerous motorcycle trips.
Beartooth is a favorite, as is Chief Joseph, Marias, and Going to the Sun.
Am a native of southern Alberta ...... now living in B.C.
You have a great State. Nice folks ...... have always felt welcome ..... it's kinda' like Alberta.
Are you down around Butte ........ the home of the late Evel Knievel ?

'99 Honda Foreman 450ES
'99 Honda Foreman 450S ....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode