What have you done to your atv today/lately - Page 148 - Honda ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

1298Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1471 of 1498 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:00 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6780 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiles View Post
and a tree roller tool , it has a wooden handle and a steel hook on the end so you can hook and roll the logs over and a few other things----
Yep, that's a cant hook. What I went back to the house to get. LOL

He wants $20 for it , worth it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 1498 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:47 AM

Liked: 3249 times
Yep, if it's in good shape.

They really come in handy moving logs around when you're cutting. Especially when you get into big billets of wood. I had to cut this monster up, roll the billets clear so I could flip them flat to split them into chunks small enough for me to move. A lot of them took me and Dad both, each with a cant hook. They're normally $50-75 each for new ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tree.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	137050   Click image for larger version

Name:	tree2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	137052  
_Wilson_ likes this.
post #1473 of 1498 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 12:21 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Wilson_ View Post
Quote:
I went to make my second cut the the whole tree shifted and pinched my bar.
Next time (on sawing up big twisted blow down) Take your splitting wedges and maul, I've had good luck un pinches ... SPRING loaded blow downs ARE SO much fun ha! .... i'd much rather tangle with those fire ants lol....
Exacty.. I carry mauls and a hatchet to keep the tree from collapsing into a pinch..do the wedge cuts up on top and take out chunks, etc...takes me longer, but has saved my butt on blade pinch many times. Even then, like you guys have said..if you have one that's in a twist and is just waiting to turn and settle..or like one of the big monsters 2 weeks back..it was so rotten in one section that it just crumpled on me on one part, allowing the rest of the tree to shift over..had I not had a maul in place (and even then it was a bit of a bite), I woulda been stuck big time.

I"m too old to "wrastle" these big beasts...cutting a chunk out, pry bar to roll em out of the way, etc.
and on occassion, hook the winch cable up and give em a tug...that's probably the only time I'd miss the much larger ATV..my lil 300 is impressive for a small bike but if i had a big machine out here i know I'd be tempted to cut less and pull more.
Jeepwm69 and _Wilson_ like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1474 of 1498 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 02:54 PM

Liked: 1804 times
Garage
Quote:
Looking to cut some branches hanging down and want to cut them above head level so I don't knock off my hat while passing by on the zero swing , think this would be the right saw for the job ----lol I think that is the longest one I have seen
Haha! NOW THAT'S A BEAST!! Have any idea what cc power plant it has ? I'm thinking plus 80 cc ??

Quote:
now back to our regularly scheduled "what did you do to your ATV" programming..sorry to derail...
We're still on the left side of the road here...lol
fishfiles and bighanded like this.

Last edited by _Wilson_; 06-04-2019 at 02:58 PM.
post #1475 of 1498 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 05:12 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6780 times
Garage
I don't know Wilson , I bet a chain for that thing would cost a bundle ------I had some freaky tree thing happened this morning , will have to tell the story later , I got to use a chain saw and it is 50 ft from the port hole , Hell it might be a Portal
_Wilson_ likes this.
post #1476 of 1498 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
A lot of them took me and Dad both, each with a cant hook
Ya, those are sure enough! Some Good size chunks. , I'm surprised your pops doesn't have some type of powered wood splitter hidden away...??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	520.9 KB
ID:	137056  
fishfiles likes this.
post #1477 of 1498 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:16 AM

Liked: 3249 times
Quote:
Quote:
A lot of them took me and Dad both, each with a cant hook
Ya, those are sure enough! Some Good size chunks. , I'm surprised your pops doesn't have some type of powered wood splitter hidden away...??
Oh he does. He has a splitter on a 3 point hitch for the tractor. Problem is he bought it back in the 80's, stuck the box with all the controls somewhere and doesn't remember where he put it. The iron beam with the wedge on it was in the back of his garage. Brand new.

When I asked him about using it he said "I don't know where the controls are, and you need the exercise. Use the wedges and sledge."

I did that tree and another one the same size over several months. Cut them both up and split those billets with two wedges and a 10lb sledgehammer. Had a tree guy come and take them down, but hauling them off was going to be $$$$ so I told him to leave them there and I'd cut them up.

When I started cutting that first tree up, I didn't own a saw. Dad gave me a Homelite XL with a 16" bar on it. Thing is heavy as hell and was a PITA to cut with. When I moved to the trunk the tree was too big to cut, even going down each side and matching my cuts. THEN Dad gets out the 372XP that he had sitting in a box, brand new. Said he didn't want to get it out if he didn't have to. That thing cut like a hot knife through butter. THEN I find out he also has a Husky 2100 that's still new in the box.

He's a weird cat. Has a lot of cool stuff though, and most of it hasn't ever been used.
_Wilson_ and retro like this.
post #1478 of 1498 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:31 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 114 times
Quote:
Quote:
Looking to cut some branches hanging down and want to cut them above head level so I don't knock off my hat while passing by on the zero swing , think this would be the right saw for the job ----lol I think that is the longest one I have seen
Haha! NOW THAT'S A BEAST!! Have any idea what cc power plant it has ? I'm thinking plus 80 cc ??

Quote:
now back to our regularly scheduled "what did you do to your ATV" programming..sorry to derail...
We're still on the left side of the road here...lol
This is sooooo my fault (LOL)...sorry...
_Wilson_ likes this.
post #1479 of 1498 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:44 PM

Garage
Yet! No one complains ... I wouldn't worry about it.... There s a substantial mental disorder with most of us haha! Especially when it comes to staying on topic......
retro and bighanded like this.
post #1480 of 1498 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
When I asked him about using it he said "I don't know where the controls are, and you need the exercise. Use the wedges and sledge."
I thought i recalled that in Some other string. And i agree with his thought on exercise.

It's odd this came up, i called Dennis today to discuss... Haying.... In short... He informed me, HE had the widow maker 3 weeks ago, they brought him back twice! and ended up having a stent, and he's still going strong! He also told me his cardio doctor... Had told him the past splitting wood (old school) IS, excellent exercise) << food for thought ?

Quote:
He's a weird cat. Has a lot of cool stuff though, and most of it hasn't ever been used.
I can't figure this out... Why have that big ol shop full of nice machinery, AND never use it ? Lol. From how you've described your pops.... Yeah he seems like a cool guy! Maybe he thinks you need the whip cracked on ya....lol, but! Ya gotta play with big boy toys!

Now kind of back on topic....took the lot lizard ..... N went checked on a load of big chunk wood (green maple) a neighbor gave me. It's a good score! ... I may have to give this one up, due to trucking grain, and haying...i noticed this weeping seal, mine don't see axle deep slop, least NOT till this repair .... Besides she's tight, no roar no fillings, just bleeding abit .....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	137062  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode