Harbor freight Badland 2500 lb winch..any good - Page 4 - Honda ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 131 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 11:45 AM

Liked: 4 times
For the harbor freight welder, I bought one around christmas for $80 and it seems to work well, I've never welded or had any sort of experience at all in welding, so I learned as I went and can say it made some nice strong welds, I haven't had it long so I'm not sure how reliable it is, nothing has broken on it yet, and for $80 it's pretty good to me. I do sort of suck at welding I've found so my brother uses it most of the time. It doesn't come with a hood, only one you have to hold up to your face. I guess if I wanted to really use it for fabrication or anything I'd get a real welder used somewhere but I only bought this for small welds and projects. Can't say anything about the winch because I don't ride a utility, one thing I must say on the topic of harbor freight is do not buy the left handed drill bits, pathetic bits, snapped almost all of them after maybe 2 uses if that's any indication of what the real bits are like I wouldn't go near them

--2001 300ex---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 131 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 03:40 PM

Liked: 7 times
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk69 View Post
Harbor freight has a Badland 2500 lb winch with wireless remote for $50. Anyone have one of these? Do these things last? Realize if your quad lives under water nothing is going to hold up well. This ok for light trial riding?
Oh nooooooooo!!!! not the winch wars again!!!!
post #33 of 131 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 04:22 PM

Liked: 2146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convict1997 View Post
I agree. Buy a good one. Get the badlands 3500.

I won't put down superwinch because I don't have one but I can tell you that based on the experience with mine and the one mounted on a friends rincon, the badlands 3500 is not the "Chinese outlet store" crap that everyone here is saying it is. Considering that none of them own one, I'm not sure how they've become such an authority on the subject. I own one. I ride around with it under water. Pull from stupid angles. Hung my rancher from a tree with it last weekend so I could spray down the bottom. You guys can all keep telling each other what a great decision you made to spend more money for the superwinch. Seems to me that you spent probably twice as much as I did, if not more, to buy a winch that's doing the same thing mine is doing.

Fyi - I am only referring to the 3500. Please don't tell me about your friends that had a different model and how it was crap so this one is crap too.
well I would like to know how your an authorty on Badland winches, when you have TWO personal experience;s with TWO different models??
your's is an opinion as are the rest of us. BUT the folks that recommend BRAND name winches over HARBOR freight brand one's
have TONS Of happy owners, thats a FACT<M not an opinion, and maybe WHY there recommened so much, were not all wealthy with money to piss away!, just want proven quality for our bucks$$

I paid I bet as much or maybe less than you did for your badlands 3500, and mine was a superwinch on sale, and I had a coupon, I paid about 50 bucks, so?? I don't have money to waste, why I shop around whne i buy and research things, before buying as well!

and that is why I tend NOT to buy cheap crap made in places I have NO experience with, as I don't like to experiment with my funds I have., on things I don't trust. GOOD cuatomer service is also a reason to buy from quality KNOWN places!
all things can break or get a bad apple, customer service then , amkes or breaks a items worth??

someone on here posted facts about the cycle times and or amps drawn, on a badlands winch's,
compare them to a brand name winch, there IS a difference right there>

NOW I have never said they don't work or are ALL JUNK, I just bet the odds of getting bad one of Badlands is a LOT higher than buying a brand name winch, that has been my point
I don't care what you buy or how you spend your money, its your RIGHT to do so. BUT I will give MY honest opinion, as that is MY right on an open forum, MY experience is that MINE, as your's is your's
I have 35+ yrs of playing off road, seen a lot, done a lot, been there done that on many levels
WHAT I learned over time, is buying quality is seldom a mistake!, where buying cheap, many times is!
?? am I wrong??
how many people on this site buy non brand name parts for motors, and axles and such,???
a reason why, maybe? cause far too often these no name cheap knock off parts and what ever FAIL< facts, not made up opinions just by me>
harbor freight has many great products, won't say they don't, so NOT knocking all there products or even this Badl;ands winch, I am SAYING, I won't gamble on buying one for what I DO!
the small amount of saving to MAYBE get a good one?? doesn't hold water for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 131 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 04:24 PM

Liked: 29 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnutzz View Post
Look at the duty cycle. 15 seconds then wait 14m 45s to winch again.

Uhhh no. Maybe you mistyped it but the manual I read is 45seconds then wait near 15 minutes. H.F. at least has a duty cycle time in print. Warn and Superwinch only say Intermitent Duty. This is at MAX load. If you have the cable/rope length and know how to rig a haul system you cut your load by half or more. This is a smart way to use any winch if possible.

Most winch companies, from what I read, use a 'series wound' motor. More torque then a parallel wound one(vehicle starters are 'series' for this reason). You don't constantly crank your car to start it. Any winch will fail if used this way all the time, maxed out that is.

And also, from reading product descriptions, a lot of winches are made overseas or outsource parts from overseas suppliers (Warn being an exception).

This is like the Glock vs 1911 or 'beans/no beans' debates on the gun forum I belong to lol.
post #35 of 131 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 04:30 PM

Liked: 2146 times
This is like the Glock vs 1911 or 'beans/no beans' debates on the gun forum I belong to lol.[/QUOTE]

HAHA< well yes and NO, as both the glock and the 1911's have YRS of proven reliability. and I have NO issue at all recommending a GLOCK< BUT< on 1911's , there are knock off models on them, and then there are TOP shelf made 1911's I dare you to compare reliability of a cheap made 1911 from over sea's to a wilson combat or the likes(I own several 1911's too, and owned a gun store for many yrs)
apples and oranges! NOT all 1911's are the same LOL
coalcracker likes this.
post #36 of 131 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4408 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coalcracker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnutzz View Post
Look at the duty cycle. 15 seconds then wait 14m 45s to winch again.

Uhhh no. Maybe you mistyped it but the manual I read is 45seconds then wait near 15 minutes. H.F. at least has a duty cycle time in print. Warn and Superwinch only say Intermitent Duty. This is at MAX load. If you have the cable/rope length and know how to rig a haul system you cut your load by half or more. This is a smart way to use any winch if possible.

Most winch companies, from what I read, use a 'series wound' motor. More torque then a parallel wound one(vehicle starters are 'series' for this reason). You don't constantly crank your car to start it. Any winch will fail if used this way all the time, maxed out that is.

And also, from reading product descriptions, a lot of winches are made overseas or outsource parts from overseas suppliers (Warn being an exception).

This is like the Glock vs 1911 or 'beans/no beans' debates on the gun forum I belong to lol.
I don't know crap about guns ?..nor do I know crap about any other winch besides warn ?..what I do know for my own personal use ?..warn has never let me down !. I won't bash any brand of winch, tire, oil, what ever ?. why ?..because I will only speak up for what I have personally used, and still use !. everyone needs to chill on these subjects. post what you use, why you use it..and leave it at that. some ppl are not rich ?..I get this !. most of us ( myself )..have only used a product that has lasted me many..many years...and never a problem. soo..yes..i will say ( my choice )..warn is what I like ?..not saying it's the best on the market ?..but it sure has made a believer out of my hard earned money !..lol. sooo ppl..if you want a superwinch, badlands, or even harbor freight ( shiver )..lol. by all means..buy it !..its your money, your time,,, YOUR ATV !. RIDE ON !.
coalcracker likes this.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #37 of 131 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 04:35 PM

HAHA< well yes and NO, as both the glock and the 1911's have YRS of proven reliability. and I have NO issue at all recommending a GLOCK< BUT< on 1911's , there are knock off models on them, and then there are TOP shelf made 1911's I dare you to compare reliability of a cheap made 1911 from over sea's to a wilson combat or the likes(I own several 1911's too, and owned a gun store for many yrs)
apples and oranges! NOT all 1911's are the same LOL[/QUOTE]

Won't get any arguments from me there!
post #38 of 131 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 04:52 PM

I don't know crap about guns ?..nor do I know crap about any other winch besides warn ?..what I do know for my own personal use ?..warn has never let me down !. I won't bash any brand of winch, tire, oil, what ever ?. why ?..because I will only speak up for what I have personally used, and still use !. everyone needs to chill on these subjects. post what you use, why you use it..and leave it at that. some ppl are not rich ?..I get this !. most of us ( myself )..have only used a product that has lasted me many..many years...and never a problem. soo..yes..i will say ( my choice )..warn is what I like ?..not saying it's the best on the market ?..but it sure has made a believer out of my hard earned money !..lol. sooo ppl..if you want a superwinch, badlands, or even harbor freight ( shiver )..lol. by all means..buy it !..its your money, your time,,, YOUR ATV !. RIDE ON !.[/QUOTE]

Your right, not debating brands, to new to winches on an atv. Just wanted to clear up what lugnutzz said. Also wanted to throw in my 2 cents on duty cycles as ALL motors have them. I'm sure some people will throw brand XYZ on their rig, get stuck, use the winch till it lets out the magic smoke, then complain about it. They are all for Intermitent Use(that's why the series windings-high torque). Even plowing it's not constantly running although it is working a lot more. From what I've seen, the cheap ones are just that.
post #39 of 131 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4408 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coalcracker View Post
I don't know crap about guns ?..nor do I know crap about any other winch besides warn ?..what I do know for my own personal use ?..warn has never let me down !. I won't bash any brand of winch, tire, oil, what ever ?. why ?..because I will only speak up for what I have personally used, and still use !. everyone needs to chill on these subjects. post what you use, why you use it..and leave it at that. some ppl are not rich ?..I get this !. most of us ( myself )..have only used a product that has lasted me many..many years...and never a problem. soo..yes..i will say ( my choice )..warn is what I like ?..not saying it's the best on the market ?..but it sure has made a believer out of my hard earned money !..lol. sooo ppl..if you want a superwinch, badlands, or even harbor freight ( shiver )..lol. by all means..buy it !..its your money, your time,,, YOUR ATV !. RIDE ON !.

Your right, not debating brands, to new to winches on an atv. Just wanted to clear up what lugnutzz said. Also wanted to throw in my 2 cents on duty cycles as ALL motors have them. I'm sure some people will throw brand XYZ on their rig, get stuck, use the winch till it lets out the magic smoke, then complain about it. They are all for Intermitent Use(that's why the series windings-high torque). Even plowing it's not constantly running although it is working a lot more. From what I've seen, the cheap ones are just that.[/QUOTE]
even warn say's not to use for a certain amount of time between winching !. and i'm guilty of this !..lol. butttt..I know not to stand there and keep at it for 10 min's straight too !..lol.
coalcracker likes this.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #40 of 131 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 06:11 PM

Liked: 2 times
Why do we think only "rich" people have nice things. We all work hard and buy the things that we have researched (like asking on a open forum) to give us these nice things. We are giving opinions and experiences here, so lets not get into a pissing contest. Being 53 years old I have worked a long time and maybe will spend a bit more $$$. I live in Canada and the nearest HF is 3 hrs away and have crossed the border and bought stuff from there many times.( they are right next store to Gander Mountain another good store) I must say this is a great site and a great thread and have read all the posts. thanks for reading my post and as far 1911's go my Kimber 45 is awesome, but my Ruger SR9 is my preferred firearm at the range.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode