350 Rancher - Honda ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

350 Rancher

I just recently picked up a 2001 350 Rancher and it appears to be locked in place. What I mean is when I jack up the front end and turn one wheel clockwise and the other goes counter clock wise. The rear seems to be in the same mode. Nothing I do with the gear shift seems to change that.

It is not running (no spark) so I can not tell if that would be able to change anything.

Any suggestions?

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 12:08 PM

Liked: 65 times
Yeah that is the differential. They do that.

-2007 King Quad 450 (Work Horse)
-1984 Honda TRX200 (Donor)
-1989 Skidoo Mach 1 (Play Toy/Winter Headache)
-1966 Series IIA Land Rover (Major Project)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1480 times
Ray, Welcome to the forum.
As stated above, that is normal operation (when the wheels are in the air). Please let us know what the symptoms are if/when the atv is on the ground and you try to move it.

USFS Motorized Trail Maintenance Volunteer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 01:44 PM

My experience. These units had a weak tip on the shift drum that could fail if not replaced under warranty. Typically, this causes the neutral switch to malfunction. Mine was hardwired when I got it. Eventually, my shift drum broke into three pieces, totally locking up the drivetrain..

My situation required splitting the case and replacing the shift drum. I spent about $400 at an engine shop, not including removal and install.

See:
https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...locked-up.html

Last edited by kentco; 12-22-2014 at 03:48 PM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1480 times
RMSCS: Thanks for the followup and great information. A friend of mine who owns a large Honda dealership in Colorado, in fact confirmed what you said above.
Good Information! I'll make this a STICKY for you!

USFS Motorized Trail Maintenance Volunteer
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

ok good to know - when on the ground they are just locked up total - I had to drag it off the trailer and could only see one wheel that was turning. The display indicates that it is in neutral and it does turn over when I press the start button.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4210 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCole View Post
ok good to know - when on the ground they are just locked up total - I had to drag it off the trailer and could only see one wheel that was turning. The display indicates that it is in neutral and it does turn over when I press the start button.
use a wrench to shift the hex shaft on lower left hand side behind the foot rest..see if you can get it to go into neutral ?. regardless of what the display reads ?..it's not in neutral ?..or the brakes are locked up ?..or the tranny is damaged ?.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Shadetree, I can use the foot shifter to get it into neutral at least that is what the display reads.
Now if it was in gear would it not move but just be hard to move?
The second question is on the handlebar when I push the shift switch should I be hearing something that seems to be totally not working.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 10:32 AM

Liked: 19 times
Quote:
If it was in gear then you would be fighting piston compression when trying to move it. Rolling the tires would be turning the engine over. It's unlikely to "roll" while in gear, so you'd pretty much just be dragging it.

I believe what rmscs is saying is that the neutral switch can malfunction to show that it is in neutral when it is in fact not. The display light on the dashboard could be lying to you. Shadetree is suggesting that you manually shift it into neutral (all the way down) with the shift shaft, ignoring what the display is telling you.

Hopefully that clears things up.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4210 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootstah View Post
Quote:
If it was in gear then you would be fighting piston compression when trying to move it. Rolling the tires would be turning the engine over. It's unlikely to "roll" while in gear, so you'd pretty much just be dragging it.

I believe what rmscs is saying is that the neutral switch can malfunction to show that it is in neutral when it is in fact not. The display light on the dashboard could be lying to you. Shadetree is suggesting that you manually shift it into neutral (all the way down) with the shift shaft, ignoring what the display is telling you.

Hopefully that clears things up.
thank you :-). you are correct !.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode