350 Rancher - Page 2 - Honda ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Ok I am thinking it make be that the brakes are locked up as the only wheel that is turning is the rear left- the only one that is not braked.
But if that were the case wouldn't the wheels still be locked up when I jack it up off the ground?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 11:46 AM

Liked: 19 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCole View Post
But if that were the case wouldn't the wheels still be locked up when I jack it up off the ground?
Yes.

Have you actually read or tried what was suggested?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 12:58 PM

Liked: 10 times
Quote:
Ok I am thinking it make be that the brakes are locked up as the only wheel that is turning is the rear left- the only one that is not braked.
RayCole, seems like a few different things might be going on here. First of all, definitely check to make sure all three brakes are not sticking causing your "locked up" situation. Once the machine is rolling freely you'll be better able to diagnose it.

Secondly, check all your fuses (under the seat behind the battery) to make sure that they are all still good. If they are, you may be chasing some electric shift issues. If the motor turns over when you press the start button, then I'd say your neutral switch and the display are good, because the 2001 Ranchers did not have a start in gear feature, they only start in neutral. If you're getting no spark in Neutral, check out this.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Lastly, if it truly is the left REAR wheel that is rolling while the other rear wheel is locked up, then you have either a stripped hub or a broken rear axle. The reason there is only one rear brake is because the rear axle connects the left and right rear wheels together so they always receive equal drive (and braking) force. Under normal operation, the rear wheels cannot spin at different speeds. So if you're getting rotation out of one and not the other, something isn't right.

I don't have a girlfriend. But I do know a woman who'd be mad at me for saying that.

Last edited by riccnick; 12-29-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

ok if the display read is lying and saying it is Neutral when it is not, would the starter still turn over. As it does turn over but only when the display read is saying "N" neutral.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the component diagram that will help - it appears I have a more serious problem than just not being in neutral so I have to look a little deeper.
Thanks for you help
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
ok if the display read is lying and saying it is Neutral when it is not, would the starter still turn over. As it does turn over but only when the display read is saying "N" neutral.

This right here tells me that your gear position switch AND the display are CORRECT. The starter would not turn over unless the gear position switch says the machine is in Neutral. Also, (theoretically) if you are locked up in gear, the starter would not be able to spin the motor over with the added resistance.

I don't have a girlfriend. But I do know a woman who'd be mad at me for saying that.

Last edited by riccnick; 12-30-2014 at 06:48 AM.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the component diagram that will help - it appears I have a more serious problem than just not being in neutral so I have to look a little deeper.
Thanks for you help
I'd start with the brakes. Get her rolling again so you can move her around easily. If it is indeed not the brakes, having them free will make diagnosing what it actually is much easier. If you know the brakes are good, and we now are pretty sure the machine is in Neutral, then there are only a couple more things to point to after those are accounted for.

Do you have a service manual? There is a free download on this site, and its VERY useful.

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 08:38 PM

I have a 06 Honda rancher rebuilt carb cleaned hoses. The tab will crank and run about 5 min then shuts off and want crank unless I turn air adjustment screw 1/2 turn then it will run about 5 mins shut off again then want crank use I turn screw 1/2 turn and this just continues.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 11:20 AM

I'm having a bad day my 01 rancher I took on a 45 min ride
On my way back it stopped on me and haven't started since
I have spark and I have fuel can someone help me please
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 12:20 PM

Liked: 52 times
Check your compression. Try adjusting the valves, too. Is your gas good? Swap it out with non-ethanol premium.

2006 Recon ES | 2000 Rancher ES | 1986 TRX200SX | 1985 TRX250

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode