What essential tools and parts to bring on a ATV trip? - Page 2 - Honda ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1481 times
Sir, Always carry an extra spark plug with you. Without an extra plug, you'll be up a creek if your plug ever goes bad. Honda gives you a plug wrench in your emergency tool kit, but, it's of no use without a good spark plug. Iridium plugs are the best plugs.

USFS Motorized Trail Maintenance Volunteer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 01:00 PM

Liked: 2 times
I really think it comes down to where are you going and who are you taking. For example: solo vs family ride --- long rides on remote point to point trails vs riding at a park where it wouldn't take long to walk/find assistance. To me these effect what I pack in.

Either way in the tow rig bring:
Either the tools you know you'll need or buy a decent tool kit from harbor freight or the like as trail tools tend to get lost/messed up in my experience.
Extra fuel, straps, and spark plugs. I've never been big on carrying a ton of spare parts.
Duct tape, 550 cord, zip ties, super glue (also add to first aid kit), first aid kit and bolt kit that is useful for your ATVs.

On the ATV:
Tow strap, water and snacks for short in the park rides.
Add first aid kit, small tool kit, gps or map/compass, and hand held radio for remote riding.

I think that after a few rides you'll get that grasp of what YOU need to take. The big thing to keep in mind is that your bike can go further in an hour than you can in a day. So, as long as you have the basics to keep her going you can always go get more help. I've been four wheeling (not ATVing as I basically just started) on both coasts and a whole ton of places in between yet rarely have I found other riders that will not go out of their way to help you out.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

List updated. Any additions? Thoughts?

I was thinking Towels? Matches? Spare socks? I know clothing was already mentioned. I would think having that at the trailhead or in the truck is a good idea.

Beer cooler?

Last edited by Majestic; 03-04-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 05:43 PM

Liked: 65 times
My trips away from home only go about 5km max so I've got the factory toolkit, a tow rope, rope, bungee cords and my ownership/insurance

-2007 King Quad 450 (Work Horse)
-1984 Honda TRX200 (Donor)
-1989 Skidoo Mach 1 (Play Toy/Winter Headache)
-1966 Series IIA Land Rover (Major Project)
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 05:52 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 267 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
I am editing the original post with a list of what I have compiled so far. (Did I miss anything?)

Feel free to add suggestions. These are GREAT so far!
I don't know the rest of the Honda Line up, but I do know my Trx700xx. And I have yet to see anyone post hex heads or Allen wrench set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERJJMJ View Post
On the atv its self I just have a tow strap in the airbox so I can get towed back to the truck

I like this idea!!! But I do carry a lunch box on the back packed tight with lots of hand tools. I should add some first aid items, just in case...

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton Stealth Bumper and 11/16" sway bar
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, OMF Wheels & GBC tires, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Utility Rack & Desert II Front Bumper.

post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 06:06 PM

Liked: 2060 times
well if my memory serves me correct, you just got a trailer, so added to the list would be a spare tire to teh trailer(or even 2 pending how far you travel, and or even more so on a double axle trailer, as if you run something over on one side, you tend to kill two tires in a row)
next a 12 volt or a good impact powered impact wrench, trailer studs just plain suck to have to chage on the side of the road, many 4 way lug wrenches many times do not have size you need, or the trailer is too low with a flat and you cannot spin them,only do half turns
and if the lugs/studs go thru to other side, and and all of the stud comes out9not like a car truck one, that treads say on) they rust up like mad and fight you till the very end
been there and learned this the hard way , so this is a tool that stays/lives in ever dam turck I own ever since! LOl
a battery charger is a plus too, as many folks have been known to leave a key on or?? and then atv battery is dead whole trip, or if you sink one, get wires wet and have to crank the crap out of one to get going, there nice to have, and take up little space
a few flares and a good working light/flash light is a great idea too
I towed my atv over a thousand miles a few times a yr for 15+ yrs, so, I know these come in handy!
I am also a big fan of carrying in a tool box an assortment of nuts and bolts, alont with tools, can of WD 40, carb/breake cleaner, QT or two of oil, for both atv and truck even!,
in colder area's a blanket is a good idea, can come in handy to keep you warm, or to lay on if you need to fix soming while being on the ground, same can be a good thick piece of used carpet too, can park ATv on it while being towed , or in the bed of a pick up ,too!
again for trailer and even truck, a good jack, can be a life saver, as many factory tools in cars and trucks, just plain suck, or very hard to get to!
a tire plug kit, on atv and a small compressor went on almost evert trail ride I been on, got a small one at wally world that fits in my little storage compartment on my 400 foreman, so it lives in there
I like a folding saw on atv too, a lighter, a small LED flashlight, extra spark plug, and a wrench that goes on easier than the factory one!
some quick zip ties in all sorts of sizes, and two ratchet straps, think mine are 12 or 15 ft one's
they can be used at tow straps too if need be, I buy good straps rated at working loads of 1500 lbs too,, them cheap one's I have seen break way too many times
a few extra fuses for my fuse box too in a zip lock bag
and leather work gloves
and if on longer far off the beaten path rides,a good first aid kit/ with things to clean eyes, like fresh water
as time goes by, you tend to find out what you can do without or need to add
I'm more like a boy scout when I go places, live by the ruel rather have than not need than need and not have
so I over pack more than under pack, but its saved a lot of trips over the yrs having it at times!
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 06:08 PM

Liked: 2060 times
OH one mroe thing, to carry
TP, seems like one of them things when you need it, its sure nice to have it, rather than not!
and it can be used for many things, from a fire starter to cleaning an eye, it packs light and stays dry in a zip lock bag!
so?/ LOl
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 07:12 PM

Liked: 1 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin_man View Post
I really think it comes down to where are you going and who are you taking. For example: solo vs family ride --- long rides on remote point to point trails vs riding at a park where it wouldn't take long to walk/find assistance. To me these effect what I pack in.

Either way in the tow rig bring:
Either the tools you know you'll need or buy a decent tool kit from harbor freight or the like as trail tools tend to get lost/messed up in my experience.
Extra fuel, straps, and spark plugs. I've never been big on carrying a ton of spare parts.
Duct tape, 550 cord, zip ties, super glue (also add to first aid kit), first aid kit and bolt kit that is useful for your ATVs.

On the ATV:
Tow strap, water and snacks for short in the park rides.
Add first aid kit, small tool kit, gps or map/compass, and hand held radio for remote riding.

I think that after a few rides you'll get that grasp of what YOU need to take. The big thing to keep in mind is that your bike can go further in an hour than you can in a day. So, as long as you have the basics to keep her going you can always go get more help. I've been four wheeling (not ATVing as I basically just started) on both coasts and a whole ton of places in between yet rarely have I found other riders that will not go out of their way to help you out.
Just dont go out alone. We have the firstaid kit, jumper cables, food, and water. Some wrenches, sockets, zipties, and a phone.

• 08 Rancher es SRA
  • 2500# Mile Marker
  • AME Heated Grips
  • 25" Power Grips
  • ATVTEC Rear Bag
  • 08 Polaris 500efi
  • 2500# Mile Marker
  • 26" PXT Wheels
  • Polaris Rear Box
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 07:20 PM

Liked: 4 times
Where I ride there is a number on your wrist band and if you call it they'll come get you but in my trailer tool box I have a jack and the 4 way fits trailer truck and atv lugs my jump pack is also a source of compressed air, work light USB and DC and AC power

post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 08:17 PM

Liked: 3 times
Water bottles. I wedge them under the carry rack. Very easy to carry 6+ of them!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode