Rincon oils and synthetics - Page 2 - Honda ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Manny I think you are right about the zddp. I think if the oil film breaks down then the zddp will try and prevent metal wear.
This is off of a different forum:

"OK gents, inasmuch as I DON'T want to start anything here, I think it is my duty to inform you of what I learned not too long ago.

I was a Rotella T6 5W-40 user for a while until I met up (online) with a fellow who seemed to know what he was talking about...first of all, Rotella T6 is NOT a full synthetic oil; apparently, they use a synthetic STOCK, remove the sulfur from some dino oil and get to label it as "synthetic" because of some legal loophole.
To get a 5W oil to reach a 40 rating, requires the use of viscosity additives and these additives (being standard as opposed to synthetic) shear in the transmission. The more additives, the faster the viscosity is reduced due to shear.
A TRUE 10W-40 synthetic will use synthetic as base-stock as well as synthetic viscosity additives which are more shear resistant.
The Rotella T6 also has diminished ZDDP levels (to meet the low-emission ratings) which puts your tappets and cam followers at risk.

I use Mobil Racing 4T (was called MX4T) 10W-40 in my TW200 and haven't needed to adjust the valves in almost 2 years. I just turned over 36,000 km and she still starts easily and purrs like a kitten. I will be using the Racing 4T exclusively in my DR.
When I ran T6 in the TW200, the shifting was notchy and loud, and the valve train made more noise than usual. Even at $20/gal, I won't use it in either bike anymore.

But that's not to say that YOU can't use it in your bike if it works for YOU! Go ahead...it's not my bike!"

Apparently the t6 has low zddp levels but I have yet to prove it. If anyone has info on it please post. Maybe we can sticky this thread? Mods?

Thanks Kentco.

2005 Honda Rincon. Stock.
New tensioner, tensioner lifter, cam chain, oil chain, knowledge on how to replace these? Priceless.
Mobile 1 4T lets this quad shift nearly undetectable.
Coming soon: Executioners!
After all, a hole - is a hole - is a hole. Richard Burton "Where Eagles Dare".

Last edited by award; 04-19-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 12:47 AM

Liked: 436 times
Different strokes for different folks....i have my '98 foreman 400 with damn neart 12k miles on it....its drank oil all the way from delvac 1300, rotella products, valvoline, castrol 4T. mobil 1 4T to lucas synthetic 10w-40.

can i tell the difference in shifting between the oils???? not at all.
do i notice a difference in engine sound between oils??? not even close.

The motor is happy with whatever weight/brand of oil i throw at it...i guess you could say it has a very high tolerance to "inferior" oils LOL.

on the other hand, with my '03 rincon i had for less then 6 months. it performed FAR better with rotella t6 then GN4. it didn't take near as long for the oil to get through the entire powerplant...i can honestly say, between the rincon and rubicon i own. those are the only two atv's i have EVER had that behaved differently with oils.....could it be the complexity of the engines.?!?!.sheesh, who knows. i just go with what works.

i could spend WEEKS reading about VIII oils and low zinc ratings and oil with too much ash content.....but i'd rather just ride.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 06:46 AM

Liked: 7 times
I run the mobil 1 racing 4t in my bikes. I liked it from day one, smoother shifts, keeps its viscosity longer, and I can hear my 300 run smoother with it. Dry starts in cold temps are nearly eliminated, however every once in a while (only when its below zero up to 20 or so)you can hear it dry start and take a couple seconds to smooth out. This winter I think I'm going to try switching to amsoil 0w-40, the 0w should help...

I just picked up a bottle of zddp booster from my local auto parts store that I'll be running in my prairie for its break in period... Just thought you guys should know its readily available if you think your oils are too low on zinc content to lube properly.

Whatever is currently in one piece... 400 prairie with stuff, 300 fourtrax, 500 sportsman, yz 125...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Dan i had to replace my chains and tensioner in my rincon just recently. When that was done I switched from gn4 to 4t. Initial startup made the oil light go out instantly and the engine is smooth and quiet. After checking for leaks I took it out for a quick run and that oil made my tranny shift from first to second without any notice except for the rpm drop going into second. Second to third was noticable but was still way way better than when I used gn4. I'll never use gn4 again in this quad. So far I am more than happy with the turn out of this project and I will say I probably never would have bought the synthetic if it were not for the chain issue. So, auction in the a.m. and maybe i'll snag that yamaha or at least that lawn rake.

Oh, it's possible that i'll change over to amsoil late this fall as it is a 0w oil but more than likely i will run the current 4t up to late december just so i can get a feel for how this oil performs in the cold.

2005 Honda Rincon. Stock.
New tensioner, tensioner lifter, cam chain, oil chain, knowledge on how to replace these? Priceless.
Mobile 1 4T lets this quad shift nearly undetectable.
Coming soon: Executioners!
After all, a hole - is a hole - is a hole. Richard Burton "Where Eagles Dare".

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode