Honda ATV Forum banner

Axle nuts

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  fishfiles 
#1 ·
Do axle nuts come off clockwise

#6 ·
They can be hard to break loose , WD40 is not a penetrant oil , try Aero Kroil , 3M 5 in One , Acetone and ATF 50/50 or even PBBlaster would be a better choice than WD40 ------ a 4 or 5 ft cheater pipe might help ------- what I use is a 1 5/8"/41MM 3/4 drive socket that was cut in half and a piece of pipe welded in the middle so it is a very deep dish socket , then use a 3/4 drive air impact or 3/4 drive ratchet and cheater pipe ---there are other ways to go about it

#7 · (Edited)
you can use a cheater bar. first, clean up the outside threads with a with brush.
a plumbers trick i learned was to try and tighten them first. not hardly at all though, then back up.
make sure it's setting on the ground, also, plus in gear. i think, reverse.
my cheater bar, was only a yard long. 36".

#9 · (Edited)
now that i think about it some,,. i have a socket, 19' strong arm, plus a cheater bar, and i might have stood on the cheater bar,, and may have applied heat also. :smile
i did clean the threads 1st.
did i use penetrating oil?,, probably so..

i used a b.f hammer more that once. just not on an axle nut. maybe on my thumb once. it didnt help my thumb
you can find b.f products at any store.

#10 ·
Hi: If they been torque at the right torque of 47 Foot pounds -- they would break free with little force.

#11 ·
--- wheel nuts

Sorry about the statement above -- Axle nuts are torque to 101 Foot pounds

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.