Honda ATV Forum banner

Paint techniques

2K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  fishfiles 
#1 ·
I picked up a set of tin wings at the flea market for $5 , had a Harley cover I got a few years back , friend told me it is a rim hub cap from a Harley edition 250 Ford

I want to paint inside the letters and be neat , tried with a brush and stay in the lines and that is not going to happen , thought about a thick coat over the letters and then sand the excess off with some 2000 grit and then polish -----

How do you paint inside the letter black , neatly

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Small touch up pens?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Reactions: fishfiles
#3 ·
I have seen where people paint the whole thing then wipe the top flat surface with acitone or paint remover and it leaves the grooves painted. I personally have never tried it. But seems pretty straight forward. Nice thing is you dont have to be neat at all. Just make sure you get all of it really good then go easy with the rag and paint stripper of choice.

#4 ·
That should work good, , 2000, then work the way down to 12 thousand grit.... Something like this (pic) being its made of tin, some type of polishing compound (like semi chrome) should work good.

Attachments

#8 ·
Woooo , some good ideas ----- my first attempt sucked , I painted over it as close as I could quickly with some acrylic paint on a small brush , then wiped it off before it dried and think now the cloth was too TERRY Clothy , micro fiber towel sounds like the ticket and upside down on a flat surface like glass , like mentioned

I should be doing the wings with a Honda " crest " ( crest is that like a Logo/Emblem in Canada , MM ) ---- I like wall hangers in general so Harley is welcome

#9 ·
If it's billiet ..... It should coming looking even better then this from z7 wheel restoration

12 thousand grit is what people use on plastic model chrome parts

Semi chrome will bring the BLING BLING back!

Yep some excellent ideas!!

Attachments

#10 ·
just a idea, but they sell that plastic dip spray paint, that you can peel off, spray that the color you want then use a nice sharp pen knife to trim out the letters , and peel rest off, that should leave the inside of letters the color you want and peel off everything else you didn;t want painted!
and if for what ever reason you don't like the letters colored in, you can also peel it off them rather easy
some folks really like the stuff, doing wheels and such and holds up ?
Just a thought!
also, maybe if you wax all area's you didn;t want painted first, it would peel off there easier too?
just clean out letters real good with some alcohol so it does stick where you want it!

#11 ·
Dang! That's sure enough an idea... I used plasti dip, and the only way to bullet proof his idea ?? Is Coating the whole emblem with plasti dip clear gloss coating, ( after being trimmed in black) and even plaiti dip clear gloss, will kill the bling your looking for.

#12 ·
thought about a thick coat over the letters and then sand the excess off with some 2000 grit and then polish
I Believe you have the answer!^^^ then I'd hit with 12 thousand ..... Paper, i looked emblem best i could.... I wouldn't use any polish, if your sure the wings and tin, and the center in billet alumi ... It could miss match, and that's a nice Harley emblem!

#13 ·
I'm late to the party but if it were me I'd use this technique. I've used it on various projects and it will eliminate having to use any sandpaper. And, the rubbing alcohol should not effect your finish.

If you use the above method you can still try the method that @macarena_man mentioned but, as he said, be sure to use a cloth with no pile. Think about a thin cotton pillowcase (not polyester).

I like the plastic dip but those letters are soooo close together I'm afraid you'll have a difficult time trying to get all those tiny areas cleaned up. I think it would be very tedious and require a very sharp x-acto knife. LOL

Any way you go this project will take time and lots of patience to get it right. :)

#15 ·
I thought you were just blacking the center emblem ??, your going to copying the plate below (your 1st post) should turn out looking great! Looking forward to the end result!

Check this out! A bit extreme, but sure looks great! And still retains all the bling, in colors.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eWXAi4FoGP0#fauxfullscreen

#16 ·
Yep , blacking out the lettering and painting the wing feather red , white and blue , then some white stars on the blue , thinking of making a stencil and using a air brush to paint the stars

Cool video with the colored chrome , but one color , his rim looked like a Mardi Gras float wheel and I'd bet he has a small fortune $$$ invested in all the paints he sprayed

#17 ·
Yep, small a small fortune .... Came to mind with me to... But, that was SOME coloered bling, I'm more of an oem looking scheme ... Less complecated choices... Call me old, or too many forks on that plate...

Reactions: retro and fishfiles
#19 ·
Yep, i'm thinking the same, durability ... I get the idea your thinking on shooting those billet itp rims on Sock-Ra-Blue, while she's down??

#20 ·
Used GirlsGoneWild's video applied paint thick with a Q-Tip , found rolling the Q-Tip while it was very wet applied the paint pretty good , then wipe across with dry Q-Tips till fairly clean , let it dry 5 minutes then Q-Tip with alcohol ----only thing was the alcohol discolored the aluminum a bit

2 coats of paint on the wings , needs another ----not real fond of the finish project , the wings are phony ---but all in all , a wall hanger for the club house

Attachments

#21 ·
Got a couple hours before heading out (hays too wet) i gather your talking about that lack of glossy deep Finnish on those wings ? The colors looks great, nice work! , I'm with you on the wings Need gloss clear coat to give it a deep look.

#22 ·
Thanks , I was thinking the wings would look better with more feathers and the feathers pointing down instead of horizontal , like the feathers in the pic of the license plate eagle headed pic

Vinny says put a Honda belt buckle on it and go Honda Hoarders ---- I put a Honda Gold Wing emblem in the middle of the wings and it looks ok , I will try to post the pic later ------ I need to find a cool looking round Honda aluminum clutch side cover or such

#23 · (Edited)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.