Where Can I Buy This Tow Ring? - Page 2 - Honda ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsquad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBo337 View Post
Quote:

These aren't identical to what you listed, but are similar in that they give you a hook point that is mounted under the ct from manufacturer).....

...Every 4x4 atv we have now has a 2" receiver hitch. Just got tired of the downsides of all the adapters options.

Thanks. That痴 a nifty hitch.

The reason I like the one in my original post is twofold. 1) It keeps the ball closer to the quad and 2) it has an easy method for hitching a tow strap and I pull logs of logs.

Currently I知 using the Feral Spread Eagle which is decent but I知 constantly jerking it out of position when pulling stuff. It does the job but drives my OCD nuts.

One thing I did do, is get a longer shank ball which allowed me to move the ball closer, where the bolt normally goes. This also prevents the plate from shifting if I知 pulling a trailer and brake hard.

I think I値l get a 5/8 clevis pin and put the tow hook on it. Click the image to open in full size.

Honda Rancher 2010 4X4 420

Gotcha, that makes sense. Is yours the IRS Rancher 420 or the SRA?

420 4x4 with power steering. Manual says 30 # tongue weight and 885(?) gross trailer weight.

I知 probably worried too much but if I could buy the pictures item local for $15 I would, gladly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:06 AM

Liked: 1976 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks. That痴 a nifty hitch.

The reason I like the one in my original post is twofold. 1) It keeps the ball closer to the quad and 2) it has an easy method for hitching a tow strap and I pull logs of logs.

Currently I知 using the Feral Spread Eagle which is decent but I知 constantly jerking it out of position when pulling stuff. It does the job but drives my OCD nuts.

One thing I did do, is get a longer shank ball which allowed me to move the ball closer, where the bolt normally goes. This also prevents the plate from shifting if I知 pulling a trailer and brake hard.

I think I値l get a 5/8 clevis pin and put the tow hook on it. Click the image to open in full size.

Honda Rancher 2010 4X4 420

Gotcha, that makes sense. Is yours the IRS Rancher 420 or the SRA?

420 4x4 with power steering. Manual says 30 # tongue weight and 885(?) gross trailer weight.

I知 probably worried too much but if I could buy the pictures item local for $15 I would, gladly.
I think my 400 is rated at 500 lbs MAX towing, and I again have hauled 10 times that behind it in a trailer many many times, coudn;'t even imagine what tongue weight was(maybe a 200+ lbs) and sure my RATED tongue is more likely less than your's LOL

again, NOT saying its safe to correct to do, but I have 20 yrs of doing this to mine problem free!, but again, towing heavy, is NOT about being able to pull it, its about being able to control it, as in up and down hills,
as its real easy to have a trailer weighting more than the atv , and that the atv can stop and control, on level ground, there very impressive at what they can pull,
but add in some down hill and worse, with sharper SLOW needed speeds to make turns, and you can get in trouble real fast with jack knifing and or worse!

also again, I would bet any metal shop can make you one of them for pretty cheap, a simple piece of rebar, bent into a U, and then welded onto a small plate of steel with a hole in it to mount it and your done, unless you need it pretty and paint it too LOL but rattle can black at wally world is 99 cents a can, so, again, I would think you can have one made for about 15 bucks if you asked around, maybe less if you have friends with a welder, and some scrap metal laying around!
_Wilson_ and LeeBo337 like this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:28 AM

Liked: 596 times
Quote:

Still not sure which exact 2010 Rancher you have. Could get power steering in 3 different 4x4 models... Footshift, ES, or DCT/AT.

I ask cause if it's the DCT/AT, those were IRS, and yes while the 2" receiver hitch sticks out further, it mounts using multiple mounting points right to the frame, so it's actually stronger overall than the stock hitch.

But if yours is the ES or footshift with SRA, then adding a 2" receiver hitch isn't any stronger and the extra distance sticking out could be an issue and you are probably on the right track. I have a 2" receiver hitch on my SRA and like it for the convenience, but it's certainly not more heavy duty than stock. Never had an issue with it though.

2004 TRX400FA (Rancher 400AT)
MotionPro twist throttle kit
12" handlebar mounted light bar
rear rack wheelchair carrier
Cycle Country 48" plow w/ KFI hybrid mount
Champion 3000 lb winch w/ synthetic rope
23" Titan 489's all around (saving clutch)

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS

Others in the family: '04 TRX250TE, '85 TRX250 Utility (X2), '05 TRX90, '06 TRX500FA, '95 TRX400FW,' 88 TRX125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 02:32 AM

Liked: 6 times
Garage
I think I saw something like it at Harbor Freight

Superfluity
2001 Honda 450 ForemanS Fourtrax

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode