Trail Communications - Honda ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 28 times
Trail Communications

What works for trail communications.

I am a Jeep guy and we use CB and now more and more FRS/GMRS on the trail. We use a and hand mic and usually the an external speaker in the Jeeps but I don't see that working on a four wheeler. Are there hands free voice activated options that will work for 4 wheelers?

Rancher and 2 Recons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:37 PM

Liked: 2152 times
there are a bunch of pretty good systems designed to be worn inside a helmet(and we all should be wearing a helmet when riding our atv's ??)
I have never used any, so won't recommend a brand/model
but countless guys I know use them on snowmobile helmets and on street bikes.
to maybe get a better idea on what works best/better, try maybe browsing some of these sites(street bike, sled forums)
to get latest and greatest one's
many I know are blue tooth set ups
I tend to ride atv's lone, so never had a need for them!
_Wilson_, bighanded and MOguy like this.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:06 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 141 times
yeah I'm a GMRS guy myself...some of the last of the 5 watters ( and yes I have my license)

I'm not home right now so I can't recall the headsets/earpieces I have for mine..still a press-to-talk deal, but you can at least get the call while riding..not fancy, certainly not like an onboard big road bike system.

I'm old enough to still have my original CB license back when you needed them..and I have a couple handheld hams..one is a cheapo Baofeng, the other is an old trusty Yaesu, but really, a better grade /full power GMRS is going to cover about as well as anything especially when line of sight is an issue, and you aren't looking to be all formal across a repeater etc.

I tend to find myself solo riding as well..and when I am trail riding, it's nose to tail with the other guys..so we just don't need the radios..more of a techy geek thing for me to have a couple in the bag...there, I admit it (grin)
MOguy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:26 PM

Liked: 2065 times
Garage
frecom 4's mounted to our helmets. cant beat it. 2 way radio chat, fm radio, bluetooth to phone etc.
mrbb and MOguy like this.

2015 Honda Rubicant FM7
- 28" Mud Bugs
- Powermadd Handguards
- ODI Grips

2016 Can-am Renegade 1000R XMR
- 31x11" Outlaws
- NPP Dual Dominators
- Monster Power Tuner + Autotune
- ECM Reflash
- TheBOM Mag+ Cams
- TwinAir Air filter
- Delrin Motor Mounts
- Aluminum Valve Covers
- Gorilla Through Shaft
- TigerTail
- Amsteel Synthetic Winch rope
- Cecco Racing Steering Stem Brace
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:45 PM

Liked: 1892 times
Garage
Interesting thread....
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:19 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1517 times
I use a set of cardo scala rider Q2 multiset on my motorcycle and it should work with quads too. Except mine only has the intercom for 2 people and separately a third.

Their more expensive models add more “buddies.”
MOguy likes this.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:31 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 141 times
you've got me curious Mac with the Frecomms... I know they've been good on road bikes..clean line of sight stuff...
but I'd love to hear your first hand experience when trail riding, hills, thick woods, etc..things that can really mess with Blutooth
MOguy likes this.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 28 times
Thanks for all the feedback. I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to research any of it but I will. I just got back from the licensing office paying taxes and other fees on the four wheelers I just got. Now I'm broke.

It is something I'm going to look in and have to handle, I'm tired of trying to yell at my kids to go this way or that way come, that is proving to not be very effective.

Rancher and 2 Recons
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:45 AM

Liked: 2152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to research any of it but I will. I just got back from the licensing office paying taxes and other fees on the four wheelers I just got. Now I'm broke.

It is something I'm going to look in and have to handle, I'm tired of trying to yell at my kids to go this way or that way come, that is proving to not be very effective.
well maybe not a perfect idea, but you can also teach your kids, basic hand signals, can also add some hand held radio's many have 2-5-+ mile ranges, just in case one gets separated, tell em STOP and wait!
a good set of mirrors do wonders keeping track of folks behind you,(helps you NOT get re ended if you use em)
and they do also sell turn signals you ca ad to things.
just some idea's , for those that ride insight of each other, the radio's do work in hills and Mt's pretty good, pending what hand held one's you get!

and don't forget, almost every one seems to have a phone these days that you can call if anyone gets lost too!
LedFTed and MOguy like this.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 02:59 PM

Liked: 1892 times
Garage
Quote:
cheapo Baofeng
what type did you get ? I have 4 ..... Never had a single issue with any of them , i have a helmet setup hands free vox operation (works perfectly) I've reached a distance of five miles with my high power 82 hp i wouldn't pass on a boafeng ... You can adjust about anything from power, sqelch, vox , dcs/ctcss tone, covers frs,gmrs,murs., they'll easily over talk those cheep handy talkies cobra , unidine , and even some motorola units I have also programmed one of mine to local emergency service repeater.... So i wouldn't pass on a boafeng ..... I would how ever do my research 1st.
retro and MOguy like this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode