Trail Communications - Page 2 - Honda ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 28 times
[
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to research any of it but I will. I just got back from the licensing office paying taxes and other fees on the four wheelers I just got. Now I'm broke.

It is something I'm going to look in and have to handle, I'm tired of trying to yell at my kids to go this way or that way come, that is proving to not be very effective.
well maybe not a perfect idea, but you can also teach your kids, basic hand signals, can also add some hand held radio's many have 2-5-+ mile ranges, just in case one gets separated, tell em STOP and wait!
a good set of mirrors do wonders keeping track of folks behind you,(helps you NOT get re ended if you use em)
and they do also sell turn signals you ca ad to things.
just some idea's , for those that ride insight of each other, the radio's do work in hills and Mt's pretty good, pending what hand held one's you get!

and don't forget, almost every one seems to have a phone these days that you can call if anyone gets lost too!

I don't want to encourage them to take their arms of the handle bars. I was wanting hands free or maybe a talk button on the handle bar.

I already have GMRS and few FRS radios. I was hope for some sort of Mic earpiece setup designed to go under the helmet.

They know to stop when we come to forks in the road. We are getting better at not following to close or get to seperated.

Rancher and 2 Recons

Last edited by MOguy; 05-24-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 03:24 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 446 times
following too close, is a lesson well learned. with cars the 3 second rule applies. with atvs?, keep your eyes open, stay what, least 40 feet, in the woods. ah aint hit anyone yet. i have run into objects that dont move. that plow was in tall grass, i couldnt see it. probably what bent the front bumper in. i was only going 20 or so. stayed on the atv
it was a sudden stop. the plow didnt move. it was the kind that goes on the front of a tractor.
i cant say andy, wasnt laughing a lot, was his plow.
nice plow.
didnt put a scratch in it, i did.
mrbb and MOguy like this.

clymers manual,service manual..
"what a good giff, the good lord gee us,not to see ourselves,as others see us"
hard to talk to morons. even more so, when related..
"ya should get 3 people ta smile or laugh every day" all will feel better
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have too though, ta match the way i walk" ed
"those that dont study history, are doomed to repeat it"
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
"Genius can be measured,not stupid" Albert Einstein
"when you get to old to learn, then what good are you" ed
i havent done friends list,if i do, R the rest not friends?
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Wilson_ View Post
Quote:
cheapo Baofeng
what type did you get ? I have 4 ..... Never had a single issue with any of them , i have a helmet setup hands free vox operation (works perfectly) I've reached a distance of five miles with my high power 82 hp i wouldn't pass on a boafeng ... You can adjust about anything from power, sqelch, vox , dcs/ctcss tone, covers frs,gmrs,murs., they'll easily over talk those cheep handy talkies cobra , unidine , and even some motorola units I have also programmed one of mine to local emergency service repeater.... So i wouldn't pass on a boafeng ..... I would how ever do my research 1st.

What head set did you get. I have a cheap O baofang and a couple cobra 2 watts that would work.

Rancher and 2 Recons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 08:45 AM

Liked: 1992 times
Quote:
[
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback. I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to research any of it but I will. I just got back from the licensing office paying taxes and other fees on the four wheelers I just got. Now I'm broke.

It is something I'm going to look in and have to handle, I'm tired of trying to yell at my kids to go this way or that way come, that is proving to not be very effective.
well maybe not a perfect idea, but you can also teach your kids, basic hand signals, can also add some hand held radio's many have 2-5-+ mile ranges, just in case one gets separated, tell em STOP and wait!
a good set of mirrors do wonders keeping track of folks behind you,(helps you NOT get re ended if you use em)
and they do also sell turn signals you ca ad to things.
just some idea's , for those that ride insight of each other, the radio's do work in hills and Mt's pretty good, pending what hand held one's you get!

and don't forget, almost every one seems to have a phone these days that you can call if anyone gets lost too!

I don't want to encourage them to take their arms of the handle bars. I was wanting hands free or maybe a talk button on the handle bar.

I already have GMRS and few FRS radios. I was hope for some sort of Mic earpiece setup designed to go under the helmet.

They know to stop when we come to forks in the road. We are getting better at not following to close or get to seperated.
well in snowmobiles, again,, hand signals are used ONLY when things are safe to do so? it just adds some info to others when you can and helps keep folks knowing some more than NO signals!

safety is always a area of concern, but they can be used still and safely at times< and as kids get better at riding, it is still an option IMO!

I know of NO completely hands free system either, at some point a hand will have to come off the bars to activate a mic or??
so again it comes back to using common sense on when to use things, ONLY when safe to do so> all comes from seat time and experience!
I used t trail ride for hours using only one arm, (held dog with other LOL)
BUT if needed would stop, slow or and use both, as again, some times its again about doing what';s needed when its needed and NOT doing something when its NOT safe!
I was only giving an option that is FREE< if a budget is a issue?
MOguy likes this.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

There are hands free setups but I just didn't know how they would work with all the other noise. I was wondering if anybody had success using any of them. We use hand signals like you use in a car but I am usually not in front so they won't see mine. If we had to "key" the mike was hoping for a setup were the bottom could be mounted on the handle bars.

Above people have mentioned a few setup but they are expensive.

Rancher and 2 Recons

Last edited by MOguy; 05-26-2019 at 09:06 AM.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 10:17 AM

Liked: 1711 times
Garage
Quote:
What head set did you get. I have a cheap O baofang and a couple cobra 2 watts that would work.
Eh..... I'd forget about those cobra handy talkies.

How well do you know the boafeng ? Lol there tricky to manually program correctly, but well worth it! Here's three of mine.... The acoustic tube throat mic gets used the most on rides (right hand pic) ..... And a NOTE- Each one of these will work on vox . (Hands free)

Bluetooth communicates on a frequency of 2.45 gigahertz (actually between 2.402 GHz and 2.480 GHz, to be exact). With an average range of 35 feet (from what little i know) but I WILL be looking into frecom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	136840  

1986 fourtrax trx350, 97 300 fwd.
Fully customizing a 1999 fourtrax 300 fwd.
<<<< Garages.
Oct 15th, Dale Earnhardt jr. Day

Wilson™ aka Termite
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Eh..... I'd forget about those cobra handy talkies.

How well do you know the boafeng ? Lol there tricky to manually program correctly, but well worth it! Here's three of mine.... The acoustic tube throat mic gets used the most on rides (right hand pic) ..... And a NOTE- Each one of these will work on vox . (Hands free)

Bluetooth communicates on a frequency of 2.45 gigahertz (actually between 2.402 GHz and 2.480 GHz, to be exact). With an average range of 35 feet (from what little i know) but I WILL be looking into frecom

I really don't know anything about the baofeng radios. I had a friend program it for me. I keep the baofeng and cobras locked on Channel 4(FRS).

We got the cobras because they're great for kayaking, they float and are waterproof. They're only 2 watts and the range isn't that bad, it is more than adequate for our trail riding.

I was hoping for a plug and play head set.

Rancher and 2 Recons
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 05:13 PM

Garage
You should be able to get a plug and play boom mic set for those cobra radios, whats model ??

# so you stay on 462.6375 mhz ?? You can have your friend add that easily .... I have my smallest radio (uv-5r) loaded with the complete (frs) band., boafeng radios are weather proof, but NOT waterproof and they'll sink like a rock....lol

What I'd do (in you case) ..... Have your friend program that in.... And y'all try um out before you invest in any kind mic setup ... You'll notice the audio output deference between the two.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 07:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
My bad... I forgot to say with the throat mic setup is ether ptt OR vox so... You might be able to mount the switch to the handle bar depending on the reach (never tryed it on mine) ..... from the throat boom to the switch is 32 inches .... I don't think that's enough room for steering and body movement .....
MOguy likes this.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
My bad... I forgot to say with the throat mic setup is ether ptt OR vox so... You might be able to mount the switch to the handle bar depending on the reach (never tryed it on mine) ..... from the throat boom to the switch is 32 inches .... I don't think that's enough room for steering and body movement .....
VOX would be ideal. I just didn't know if there would be too much ambient noise from the four wheelers running around and all the noise they're generating for VOX to work effectively.
_Wilson_ likes this.

Rancher and 2 Recons

Last edited by MOguy; 05-27-2019 at 08:50 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode