Buying Advice: Can-Am or Honda - Page 2 - Honda ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

 23Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
shadetree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: north little rock, ar.
Posts: 36,011
Liked: 4215 times
Garage
honda all the way, no other atv fits. if it were me ? I would look into a manual shift, no belt drive !, trx450fm or trx500fm ( on the trx500fm, make sure that 1st gear and oil drain bolt is not bad ! ). best advice: any atv that is manual shift is a great choice. personally ?, I loveeeeeeeee my '03 trx450fm !.
Goober likes this.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
shadetree is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:15 AM
Senior Member
 
mac102004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 7,115
Liked: 2018 times
Garage
If you want something that will last you a lifetime you should stick with the Honda, and probably a footshift rather than a DCT. Nothing against the Can-amís but I really donít think the proís start outweighing the cons on those machines until you get up to the 850/1000cc models.

Another good option if you can find one in your price range would be a Yamaha Grizzly or Kodiak, great bikes and as reliable as any Honda.


I find it quite amusing how people on this forum are scared to death of a simple belt drive, yet a electronically controlled Hondamatic or DCT are perfectly fine. Honda has the most complex and expensive to repair automatic transmissions in the ATV industry, if your looking for a ATV transmission you should be scared of, look no further.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Honda Rubicant FM7
- 28" Mud Bugs
- Powermadd Handguards
- ODI Grips

2016 Can-am Renegade 1000R XMR
- 31x11" Outlaws
- NPP Dual Dominators
- Monster Power Tuner + Autotune
- ECM Reflash
- TheBOM Mag+ Cams
- TwinAir Air filter
- Delrin Motor Mounts
- Aluminum Valve Covers
- Gorilla Through Shaft
- TigerTail
- Amsteel Synthetic Winch rope
- Cecco Racing Steering Stem Brace
mac102004 is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:28 AM
Senior Member
 
ATC4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Eastern Canada
Posts: 723
Liked: 214 times
Garage
All good advice on here, only thing i would ad is like Mac said about the Yamaha. I was looking at the 450 just yesterday at the dealer while there for tires. Doesnt look too bad, & I think someone on here, in the past recent months bought one.


JESUS is Lord.
Its not the machine so much as it was the "times". 1983.
Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVQrThtnGqA
ATC4ever is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:33 AM
Senior Member
 
wheelsquad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central MN
Posts: 1,289
Liked: 596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac102004 View Post
If you want something that will last you a lifetime you should stick with the Honda, and probably a footshift rather than a DCT. Nothing against the Can-am’s but I really don’t think the pro’s start outweighing the cons on those machines until you get up to the 850/1000cc models.

Another good option if you can find one in your price range would be a Yamaha Grizzly or Kodiak, great bikes and as reliable as any Honda.


I find it quite amusing how people on this forum are scared to death of a simple belt drive, yet a electronically controlled Hondamatic or DCT are perfectly fine. Honda has the most complex and expensive to repair automatic transmissions in the ATV industry, if your looking for a ATV transmission you should be scared of, look no further.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty much sums up my thoughts right there. The belt drives that Polaris and Canam use where the belt is also the clutch, is something I never care own. But the belt drives that use a separate centrifugal clutch (i.e. Yamaha, Suzuki) are in a completely different league. I love my Yamaha belt drive. The centrifugal clutch portion is nearly identical to what is in a Honda footshift that is so highly regarded on this forum. And since the belt portion of the cvt itself can then be in constant tension, you get a super reliable belt drive.

Back to the thread starters original post, if you want to own an atv for the remainder of its life, and around the 500cc or under.... Get a Honda footshift, or a Yamaha Grizzly or Kodiak. Heck even a Honda ES can be a great option, fewer electronics to go wrong than compared to the DCT. And just follow the preventative maintenance described here: https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forum...ml#post1151201

Have fun shopping!
Goober and misterclean59 like this.

2004 TRX400FA (Rancher 400AT)
MotionPro twist throttle kit
12" handlebar mounted light bar
rear rack wheelchair carrier
Cycle Country 48" plow w/ KFI hybrid mount
Champion 3000 lb winch w/ synthetic rope
23" Titan 489's all around (saving clutch)

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS

Others in the family: '04 TRX250TE, '85 TRX250 Utility (X2), '05 TRX90, '06 TRX500FA, '95 TRX400FW,' 88 TRX125
wheelsquad is online now  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:48 PM
Senior Member
 
creed82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 675
Liked: 263 times
I say if you require impressive power and speed, you will be disappointed with the Honda. They are fun, but not impressively powerful or fast. They ARE impressively quality and reliable. So if you require that impressive power/speed, you have to go Can Am.
creed82 is offline  
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 06:27 PM
Junior Member
 
2016rancher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 19
Liked: 10 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyer View Post
Honda.
No drive belt.
I personally wouldn't own a ATV with a drive belt.

Feel the same as this guy....When I was looking for a new bike researched them all,that belt drive just turned me away.My BIL has a Arctic Cat and seems uncomfortable riding through a lot of water worrying about that belt drive.
I also agree

ďDo. Or do not. There is no try.Ē
2016rancher is offline  
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
TrevorNoah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorNoah View Post
Hey everyone. I am having a difficult time deciding between two atvs. The first option is a 2017 Can-Am Outlander 450 4x4 it has 108 hours on it and I can get it for 3500 maybe a little less. It looks brand new the other option is a 2016 Honda uc browser shareit appvn Rancher TRX 4x4 with DTC IRS. It has low hours but I am not confident on the exact amount. They are asking 4500. I will most likely be keeping whichever ATV I get for its lifetime. I live on some property and it would be used for daily chores and occasional trail riding. I am open to suggestions on other models but I really feel more comfortable under 4k right now. I want something that will stay running if I maintain it properly. My 98 Kawasaki Bayou 300 is still going but I am having to really baby it. Any input would be great! Thanks.


my issue has been solved!!
TrevorNoah is offline  
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:48 PM
Member
 
TRXStudent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 32
Liked: 16 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorNoah View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorNoah View Post
Hey everyone. I am having a difficult time deciding between two atvs. The first option is a 2017 Can-Am Outlander 450 4x4 it has 108 hours on it and I can get it for 3500 maybe a little less. It looks brand new the other option is a 2016 Honda uc browser shareit appvn Rancher TRX 4x4 with DTC IRS. It has low hours but I am not confident on the exact amount. They are asking 4500. I will most likely be keeping whichever ATV I get for its lifetime. I live on some property and it would be used for daily chores and occasional trail riding. I am open to suggestions on other models but I really feel more comfortable under 4k right now. I want something that will stay running if I maintain it properly. My 98 Kawasaki Bayou 300 is still going but I am having to really baby it. Any input would be great! Thanks.


my issue has been solved!!
What did you settle with? I mean, I hope I'm not surprised.....:P
Goober likes this.
TRXStudent is offline  
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:29 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Goober's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,992
Liked: 1315 times
I have 3 Yamaha 350-400, a Suzuki 400AS and a TRX350FE in my work fleet. The rest are all Honda manual shifts.

The Suzy is the favorite. I always put newbies on it and the Yammies because these four have a simple gear select pattern.

Only one guy drives the FE, although itís a splendid well-cared for machine. Lol he likes complicated machinery too!
wheelsquad likes this.

_________________
Click link for Honda service manuals! 👀 see, right here👇🏻 Click it 👇🏻
https://drive.google.com/drive/mobil...13&direction=a

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda
__________________
Goober is offline  
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:31 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Goober's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,992
Liked: 1315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsquad View Post
The belt drives that Polaris and Canam use where the belt is also the clutch, is something I never care own. But the belt drives that use a separate centrifugal clutch (i.e. Yamaha, Suzuki) are in a completely different league. I love my Yamaha belt drive. The centrifugal clutch portion is nearly identical to what is in a Honda footshift that is so highly regarded on this forum. And since the belt portion of the cvt itself can then be in constant tension, you get a super reliable belt drive.

Back to the thread starters original post, if you want to own an atv for the remainder of its life, and around the 500cc or under.... Get a Honda footshift, or a Yamaha Grizzly or Kodiak. Heck even a Honda ES can be a great option, fewer electronics to go wrong than compared to the DCT. And just follow the preventative maintenance described here: https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forum...ml#post1151201

Have fun shopping!
Great Info Wheelsquad!

_________________
Click link for Honda service manuals! 👀 see, right here👇🏻 Click it 👇🏻
https://drive.google.com/drive/mobil...13&direction=a

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda
__________________
Goober is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2000 TRX450FM Build/Mods fishfiles Builds, Projects & DIY 1083 06-14-2019 12:13 PM
Ongoing project, 300 fourtrax. SamUK Builds, Projects & DIY 619 06-28-2018 01:44 PM
Revert back to thumb throttle OxfordMZ Repair & Maintenance 7 05-25-2018 09:56 AM
clutch kit and gear reduction question mudking16 Honda Rancher 19 12-13-2017 07:57 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome