What is the hardest to kill Honda Atv? - Honda ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 9 times
What is the hardest to kill Honda Atv?

It’s a fact that Honda’s are almost indescribable. ButI was wondering, what is the hardest to kill Honda? I know the old girls are tough but is there anything new as tough as the old ones?

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4220 times
Garage
nothing beats the old atvs !. these new atvs are not that great compared to honda atvs that were built 30 something years ago.
mrbb, Jeepwm69, _Wilson_ and 2 others like this.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
nothing beats the old atvs !. these new atvs are not that great compared to honda atvs that were built 30 something years ago.
That’s what I’ve always been told, At least honda uses gears and not CVT transmissions. You get water on the belt and your done. But I’ve also heard that the electronic shifting on the newer Honda’s work decently but are a pain when they break.

Last edited by retro; 04-28-2019 at 11:47 PM. Reason: strong language
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 09:19 PM

Liked: 1979 times
this is kinda of like, whats better FORD or Chevy DODGE
there is NO best model to be honest, as too many variables determine too many things in what lasts the longest
a BAD part can make its way onto any atv leaving a factory!
and I also fully agree the reputation HONDA"S had/has is based off the older atv's it made 20-30 yrs ago
and its still riding on them old atv's reputation to sell the new models they make

BUT the new Honda's are just like the rest of them made,m over loaded with WAY too many electronic crap that is, sadly NEVER going to be as reliable as the old things that didn;t have the same electronic's and over protective emissions crap

there are LOYAL followers of every brand and folk's that have gotten problem free LONG life out of every brand
which IMO< tells me, that a HUGE part of long life, is the OWNER, how he cares for something or NOT, how he rides and uses it
there is a LOT of basing of brands and I don't really par take in it too much
I DO think Honda's make very reliable atv's, but at same time, the amount of HP they make, make it pretty hard to really BEAT them to kill there motors!
you kinda have to sink them, to kill em
but that doesn't mean there the most fun , or BEST HP to LB
if your atv only go slow, and another model goes FAST, one will always get more abuse from weight in motion

older honda atv's were simple , smaller machines, built honestly to be OVERLY built for the HP they made
modern testing, STOPS this sort of building of anything, as OEM"S don't want to waste money, or make anything that lasts TOO long, as there NEED to sell more and more to stay alive!
Modern testing , allows them to know exactly HOW strong a part must be , and when a part will FAIL
they do NOT over build things, as they once did, due to NOT having the testing they do now

the modern world is a throw away world, last JUST long enough to get past warranty, and MAKE you THINK you got a deal, and sell you another one mind set!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 10:26 PM

Liked: 20 times
Anything will last with proper maintenance but I understand what youíre asking. Kinda like fords legendary 300ci I6. You never hear about how a 351 ran for 400k miles lol. I was actually shopping for a raptor 700 when I ended up finding my 400ex but Iím not sad, Honda just didnít offer as large of a motor in a sport quad as I thought I needed. The 400ex has thoroughly impressed me in both power and design. Due to the previous owners laziness on a rebuild Iím WAY deeper into the engine than I ever planned to be but it has taught me a lot about the machine and in stock form is very well built and reliable.

My buddies always had Hondaís growing up when I couldnít afford one so I rode their stuff a lot. 2 of them had ranchers that we just absolutely thrashed on. We ran them through creeks, jumped, wheelied, found top speed on them, and never had a single issue. One of them also had a Yamaha yzf250 that seized up just cruising down a back road.

Another friend has a Polaris magnum 330 that practically fell apart after a few years.

This doesnít mean that Polaris or Yamaha is junk but from my personal experience, Honda builds good, reliable machines and Iím happy to own one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dylankcole likes this.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 04:20 AM

Liked: 2 times
TRX300 88 to 97
Not as comfortable as my 02 450 foreman but strong and reliable lol that's why I have 6 of them!!!!
_Wilson_ and Cat Mandoo like this.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylankcole View Post
TRX300 88 to 97
Not as comfortable as my 02 450 foreman but strong and reliable lol that's why I have 6 of them!!!!
My uncle owns a 02 foreman 450, don’t think he has even done a oil change on it lol
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:00 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1315 times
Simpler lasts longer.

93 TRX300. Gravity feed fuel; overheat shutoff

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 03:10 AM

Liked: 2018 times
Garage
Been thinking about this for a while and canít come up with anything.

On one had, Iíd have to go with the TRX300, but then again that rear end isnít very hard to kill. Then I think about the 400/450S Foreman, but remember all the problems stripping the splines on the axle/ring gear. Probably not as common as 300 rear end problems though.

But are we talking about a BRAND NEW TRX300 or 400/450S vs a newer Honda? Because those no longer exist. So we must be talking about right now, this moment in time, an good/average 300/400/450 vs a brand firing new Honda. In that case I would have to say a new Honda is more reliable than any average older machine you can pick up.
I mean letís face it, you buy a new machine it has warranty, you hop on and ride it. Itís not very likely youíll run into things like...bad bearings, worn ball joints, worn tie rod ends, etc. However with most used machines you can expect all of that stuff unless your buying it to immediately do a full rebuild on, assuming you have the skills and time to do so, and even then, most people I see doing these ďniceĒ rebuilds arenít considering the seal surfaces for their wheel bearings or differential seals, so how long their fixes will last with some real use can be a bit of a crapshoot.

So, whatís the hardest Honda to kill? I guess Iím not really sure. I could kill any of them pretty easily if that was what I wanted to do. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mrbb likes this.

2015 Honda Rubicant FM7
- 28" Mud Bugs
- Powermadd Handguards
- ODI Grips

2016 Can-am Renegade 1000R XMR
- 31x11" Outlaws
- NPP Dual Dominators
- Monster Power Tuner + Autotune
- ECM Reflash
- TheBOM Mag+ Cams
- TwinAir Air filter
- Delrin Motor Mounts
- Aluminum Valve Covers
- Gorilla Through Shaft
- TigerTail
- Amsteel Synthetic Winch rope
- Cecco Racing Steering Stem Brace
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 05:39 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 259 times
I'm pretty sure its this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8938.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	4.85 MB
ID:	136186  

1984 Honda ATC BigRed 200ES

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode