What is the hardest to kill Honda Atv? - Page 2 - Honda ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:23 PM
Supporting Member

Liked: 42 times
I have an 84 Big Red too! Awesome machine, totally original. Still has the original tires and they hold air. I can ride from my house to trails and we take it up to a bar 15 miles away thats on the water. The trail is an old railbed. (a bay off of lake Ontario) When we go through the town who ever is riding the Big Red gets all the attention! People love them!

I also have a 96 TRX300FW. Also an awesome machine. Still getting it sorted out as it sat for a while but I'm sure it will be very reliable.

I also have an Outlander XT 650. A beast. Its been apart more times than I'd like but it also takes 10 times the abuse, is 10 times faster and is 10 times more comfortable to ride!!!

All that being said, your question was which is the most indestructable...I'd say I own 2 of the most reliable Honda's made. And that's why I wanted them!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 9 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budweiser View Post
I have an 84 Big Red too! Awesome machine, totally original. Still has the original tires and they hold air. I can ride from my house to trails and we take it up to a bar 15 miles away thats on the water. The trail is an old railbed. (a bay off of lake Ontario) When we go through the town who ever is riding the Big Red gets all the attention! People love them!

I also have a 96 TRX300FW. Also an awesome machine. Still getting it sorted out as it sat for a while but I'm sure it will be very reliable.

I also have an Outlander XT 650. A beast. Its been apart more times than I'd like but it also takes 10 times the abuse, is 10 times faster and is 10 times more comfortable to ride!!!

All that being said, your question was which is the most indestructable...I'd say I own 2 of the most reliable Honda's made. And that's why I wanted them!!
Are you referring to the millennium trail in Prince Edward County? I’ve been up and down it a couple of times on my old Honda, never let me down (besides the time my starter clutch went). It’s 50km to the end and another 50 back. The tourists do give you a look when riding down it but what are they going to do?
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:30 AM

Liked: 45 times
The newer Honda models are quite an improvement over the old, as far as traction goes. My 85 250 Big Red, 90 trx300 and 99 trx350 were all still going strong when I sold them. The 2008 trx420, 2015 Rubicon and the 2018 Foreman are an improvement over the old. You notice the better traction in the 4X4 function when riding in the snow or climbing steep trails, the better cold wx starting on the injected engines. You basically just change the fluids and filters and keep on riding these machines. Personally I believe the newer machines are better than the old. I use the basic foot shift models, with no power steering. Keep them simple and they will last a long time.
mac102004 likes this.

2008 Honda Rancher, manual shift, Alum Rubicon (old style) wheels & tires. Warn R/T 2500,
2015 Rubicon, manual shift, 3500SR Terra Superwinch, Strongmade receiver hitch.
2018 Foreman, manual shift, 2500-S Warn Provantage.

Last edited by Nanook12; 05-01-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4210 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook12 View Post
The newer Honda models are quite an improvement over the old, as far as traction goes. My 85 250 Big Red, 90 trx300 and 99 trx350 were all still going strong when I sold them. The 2008 trx420, 2015 Rubicon and the 2018 Foreman are an improvement over the old. You notice the better traction in the 4X4 function when riding in the snow or climbing steep trails, the better cold wx starting on the injected engines. You basically just change the fluids and filters and keep on riding these machines. Personally I believe the newer machines are better than the old. I use the basic foot shift models, with no power steering. Keep them simple and they will last a long time.
as far as I know ?, honda never made a '99 trx350 ? , unless this is a Canada model sold as a '99 ?, honda only made the old school trx350's up until '89 here in the states :-). as far as newer models being better than older ?, I have to disagree. newer models today are made cheaper !!. cheaper parts, sold high dollar ! ( cept for some models ..trx420's comes to mind ). the materials they make todays models out of..well..just flat out suck !!. fuel injection has its + and - as far as I am concerned. they work great from cold starts !. but when they fail ?..unless your a top notch mech that went to mech school ?, your up the creek, leaky boat, no paddle !..lol. power steering and all these fancy gadgets honda put on newer models ?..speedo's for example...DO WE REALLY NEED TO KNOW HOW FAST WE ARE GOING IN THE WOODS ??..for real..so we can tell our buddies how fast we were going..RIGHT BEFORE WE SLAMMED INTO THAT BIG OLE TREE ?!!..LOL. all honda did was make it easier for some folks to ride..they did not improve on anything with newer models, more or less..they just made them more complicated , thats all they did !. the #1 atv back then, and still to this day by all standards ?..the trx300 !!. it sold more units than any atv sold today.
mrbb likes this.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Quote:
as far as I know ?, honda never made a '99 trx350 ? , unless this is a Canada model sold as a '99 ?, honda only made the old school trx350's up until '89 here in the states :-). as far as newer models being better than older ?, I have to disagree. newer models today are made cheaper !!. cheaper parts, sold high dollar ! ( cept for some models ..trx420's comes to mind ). the materials they make todays models out of..well..just flat out suck !!. fuel injection has its + and - as far as I am concerned. they work great from cold starts !. but when they fail ?..unless your a top notch mech that went to mech school ?, your up the creek, leaky boat, no paddle !..lol. power steering and all these fancy gadgets honda put on newer models ?..speedo's for example...DO WE REALLY NEED TO KNOW HOW FAST WE ARE GOING IN THE WOODS ??..for real..so we can tell our buddies how fast we were going..RIGHT BEFORE WE SLAMMED INTO THAT BIG OLE TREE ?!!..LOL. all honda did was make it easier for some folks to ride..they did not improve on anything with newer models, more or less..they just made them more complicated , thats all they did !. the #1 atv back then, and still to this day by all standards ?..the trx300 !!. it sold more units than any atv sold today.
OK if you say so! Except the orange rancher I bought new in 99 was a 350, are you saying they werenít building 350 Ranchers in 99? The 300 sucked in the snow! The 420 will run circles around it! The 500ís with the locker will run circles around the 420. The 300 wouldnít start when it was cold! Not good in Alaska. The injected 420ís & 500ís will start, even without a preheat! The 420 Rancher without a speedo, needed an hour meter installed so you would know when to service it. The 500ís with the speedo have both an hour meter and odometer... and on and on...

2008 Honda Rancher, manual shift, Alum Rubicon (old style) wheels & tires. Warn R/T 2500,

Last edited by Nanook12; 05-01-2019 at 11:41 AM.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 11:32 AM

Liked: 2011 times
Garage
Likely a 2000 sold in 1999. Bought my Rancher in fall of 2000 and itís a 2001 year model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shadetree likes this.

2015 Honda Rubicant FM7
- 28" Mud Bugs
- Powermadd Handguards
- ODI Grips

2016 Can-am Renegade 1000R XMR
- 31x11" Outlaws
- NPP Dual Dominators
- Monster Power Tuner + Autotune
- ECM Reflash
- TheBOM Mag+ Cams
- TwinAir Air filter
- Delrin Motor Mounts
- Aluminum Valve Covers
- Gorilla Through Shaft
- TigerTail
- Amsteel Synthetic Winch rope
- Cecco Racing Steering Stem Brace
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac102004 View Post
Likely a 2000 sold in 1999. Bought my Rancher in fall of 2000 and it’s a 2001 year model.

Could be, who can remember from 20 years ago. Whenever they first made the orange Rancher...The interesting thing about the 350 Rancher was the carb heat they installed, They realized they had a cold start problem with the 300. They installed a DC heater element in the carb intake.

Last edited by Nanook12; 05-01-2019 at 11:54 AM.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:05 PM

Liked: 2011 times
Garage
Yep, was actually optional on the late 300ís ,98-00, and it came on the 450 Foremanís as well 1998+. I canít remember if it heats the intake air up or if it heats the fuel in the bowl, something tells me itís the fuel? But itís been a long time since Iíve had one apart.

2015 Honda Rubicant FM7
- 28" Mud Bugs
- Powermadd Handguards
- ODI Grips

2016 Can-am Renegade 1000R XMR
- 31x11" Outlaws
- NPP Dual Dominators
- Monster Power Tuner + Autotune
- ECM Reflash
- TheBOM Mag+ Cams
- TwinAir Air filter
- Delrin Motor Mounts
- Aluminum Valve Covers
- Gorilla Through Shaft
- TigerTail
- Amsteel Synthetic Winch rope
- Cecco Racing Steering Stem Brace
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 02:17 PM

Liked: 4 times
Garage
For heavens sake, I just tried to kill a bug moving around on my screen! It was a honda bug, it kept going

Superfluity
2001 Honda 450 ForemanS Fourtrax
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4210 times
Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Quote:
OK if you say so! Except the orange rancher I bought new in 99 was a 350, are you saying they werenít building 350 Ranchers in 99? The 300 sucked in the snow! The 420 will run circles around it! The 500ís with the locker will run circles around the 420. The 300 wouldnít start when it was cold! Not good in Alaska. The injected 420ís & 500ís will start, even without a preheat! The 420 Rancher without a speedo, needed an hour meter installed so you would know when to service it. The 500ís with the speedo have both an hour meter and odometer... and on and on...
news flash !!! the trx350 rancher did not come out until 2000 bro !. might wanna check your vin number on your atv ?.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode