Fuel Overflow - Honda ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 3 times
Fuel Overflow

Picked up my new foreman yesterday. Stopped and filled it up on way home. If I shake the bike a little I will get gas run out of what looks like an over flow hose from the top of the tank to a fitting on the frame tube, It will drip a little down in the very bottom of the frame pan. is this normal? I filled it to just inside the filler screen. Did I overfill it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 10:55 AM

Liked: 4 times
Garage
That may be an overflow, but also a drain line for the float bowl. Check the tightness of the drain screw at the bottom of the bowl. Do not overtighten, as the carb metal is pretty soft, and over tightening can cause leaks itself. Which of course sounds like your problem.

Perhaps your float bowl level is set just a bit high, which would be noted as a tendency for the quad to stall out from an overly rich mixture (usually when the engine is hot) and even flooding out. Check for black smoke on acceleration. If the quad is brand new, take it back to the dealer and have them reset the float bowl level. If not, get a shop manual and reset it yourself. Not too difficult a job, but I will not go into it here, as having the procedure in front of you helps get it right the first time. Following detailed instructions on a forum can have unsatisfactory results, as the advisor can sometimes forget a step, or leave out important info.

2003 Rincon 650 w/mods
2003 Rancher 350 w/mods
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

This is a 2019. It is fuel injected. This hose comes off the very top of the tank out of a big round plastic piece and runs all the way down to where it connects to the frame tubing. About 7" below this is an opening in the frame where the gas drips a little when I shake the bike. When I filled it up I had gas in the neck. Maybe too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4215 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsruner View Post
That may be an overflow, but also a drain line for the float bowl. Check the tightness of the drain screw at the bottom of the bowl. Do not overtighten, as the carb metal is pretty soft, and over tightening can cause leaks itself. Which of course sounds like your problem.

Perhaps your float bowl level is set just a bit high, which would be noted as a tendency for the quad to stall out from an overly rich mixture (usually when the engine is hot) and even flooding out. Check for black smoke on acceleration. If the quad is brand new, take it back to the dealer and have them reset the float bowl level. If not, get a shop manual and reset it yourself. Not too difficult a job, but I will not go into it here, as having the procedure in front of you helps get it right the first time. Following detailed instructions on a forum can have unsatisfactory results, as the advisor can sometimes forget a step, or leave out important info.
as the OP said, its fuel injected, no float bowl, second, most carb's if not all !, are not adjustable on the float's, all carbs on honda atvs have plastic floats, they are not adjustable. maybe you should practice what you preach before you give advise ? :-).

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wqueb View Post
This is a 2019. It is fuel injected. This hose comes off the very top of the tank out of a big round plastic piece and runs all the way down to where it connects to the frame tubing. About 7" below this is an opening in the frame where the gas drips a little when I shake the bike. When I filled it up I had gas in the neck. Maybe too much.
if this fuel line is anything like the lines they put on trx420's coming off in front of the top of the tank ?, this is a over flow/back flush from the fuel pump. this is all I can think of ?. worse case, maybe take it back to dealership, and let them look at it ?, do not mess with anything that can void your warranty !.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Quote:
if this fuel line is anything like the lines they put on trx420's coming off in front of the top of the tank ?, this is a over flow/back flush from the fuel pump. this is all I can think of ?. worse case, maybe take it back to dealership, and let them look at it ?, do not mess with anything that can void your warranty !.
Thanks Shadetree. I took some gas out of the tank and ran rode it about 15 mins. Parked it and it's not dripping anymore. I really think I just overfilled it. If it does it again I will take it to dealer. Thanks for your reply.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 02:24 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1315 times
I think it is the tank overflow and you overfilled the tank.

Overfilled the tank on my motorcycle one day and the driveway was a little steep. Fuel spilled fuel all over the road when I pointed er down the drive

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Quote:
Thanks Shadetree. I took some gas out of the tank and ran rode it about 15 mins. Parked it and it's not dripping anymore. I really think I just overfilled it. If it does it again I will take it to dealer. Thanks for your reply.
yvw, glad I could help :-).

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 09:05 AM

Liked: 26 times
I over filled mine once. Mine is a 2015 rubicon fuel injection. Don’t worry about it. Just fill it up to within about a inch from the neck and ride it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode