Engine cleaner - Page 4 - Honda ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my5sons View Post
@dhsmustang, that bottom half does look good, but I'd have to say, have you thought about the chain?...it needs some attention, looking kind of sad back there! lol
I sold it not too long after these pictures were taken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 08:25 PM

Liked: 7 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhsmustang View Post
Quote:
@dhsmustang, that bottom half does look good, but I'd have to say, have you thought about the chain?...it needs some attention, looking kind of sad back there! lol
Oh, good deal. That Engine was sparkling! My son tried to skip the chain clean and lube last time we went riding for 4 days. We came home and he washed it and tried to wheel it back into the trailer. I gave him a toothbrush and purple power to clean his chain. Then we waited for it to dry, and lubed it up. I told him if I see his chain dirty inside that trailer after we've washed it, I'll sell it and buy me something.

As for that AlumaBrite...that's about the only time I would try and use that stuff...if I was selling.

> Click Here for Answers to Cleaning, Compression, Jetting, Carb Issues, Model Specific problems etc.

>> Click Here to Download your Service/Repair Manual

1996 TRX300FW - ITP Mudlites Warn XT25 (Current Project)
2001 Suzuki LT A50
2003 TRX300EX
2006 Polaris Sportsman 90 - 2 inch lift
2006 TRX250EX - Maxxis Razrs
2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 - ITP Mudlite XL
2008 TRX450ER - No Lid, HRC Kit, 162 Main, 45 pilot, 55 leak jet

post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Oh, good deal. That Engine was sparkling! My son tried to skip the chain clean and lube last time we went riding for 4 days. We came home and he washed it and tried to wheel it back into the trailer. I gave him a toothbrush and purple power to clean his chain. Then we waited for it to dry, and lubed it up. I told him if I see his chain dirty inside that trailer after we've washed it, I'll sell it and buy me something.
The chain that was on my 400ex suffered through 4 days of torture on the Core Banks in North Carolina. That sea water will destroy anything and everything. Nothing could have saved that chain

Quote:
As for that AlumaBrite...that's about the only time I would try and use that stuff...if I was selling.
why's that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
why's that?
Well, because it has phosphoric and hydroflouric acid in it, it's toxic and will ruin other parts if it isn't applied properly, diluted properly and you can't really tell us what the "after" affects are of using it because you sold it. Purple power works well enough for me for now!

> Click Here for Answers to Cleaning, Compression, Jetting, Carb Issues, Model Specific problems etc.

2001 Suzuki LT A50
2003 TRX300EX

post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 09:28 PM

Don't fix if it it ain't broke.

However, I have used ZepAlum on just about everything for quite some time now. Here is my YZ400F, I cleaned the motor after I got it about 3 years ago. This picture isn't very good and it is from last year but you can see it is still relatively clean, and no I'll effects of the acid to speak of.

Click the image to open in full size.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 09:46 PM

Do you live near the coast? Because there is a lot of rust on that baby. That chain looks like the cousin of your 400ex chain....lol I lived in Washington State, had a 67 Impala SS with no rust. Moved to South Florida - right outside Ft Lauderdale and the rust started showing up.

2001 Suzuki LT A50
2003 TRX300EX

post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 11:29 PM

Liked: 30 times
Mine still looks pretty good, here's a pic before i did the full FMF exhaust, and I could never figure out why they painted the stock header pipe, when it turned out it was stainless underneath, just like the muffler.
Notice my rear brake caliper, how it has turned that dull looking aluminum color, I polished the engine, and you can see the difference, but it still looks nothing like when it was new, my brothers DR on the other hand is an 02 model, 3 years older than mine, and his engine still has that new shine, as well as the brake calipers. He lives in VA, and I live in the NE and I believe the weather has allot to do with it, you wanna see an engine shine, I wish I had a pic of his bike to share, and both bikes have always been heated garage kept, and covered.
I polished up the calipers after I took them off to replace the pads, but they never got that bright showroom clear coat look back to them, and not that dull aged look, but I'm not complaining, its a cream puff still.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	013_1.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	2946  

05 Suzuki DR650, Mikuni TM40 flatslide pumper carb,JE 10.5:1 piston,stage 2#190 Webcam,open airbox, Twin Air,full FMF system,Pingel fuel valve,Ricor Racing rear shock, Ricor Racing fork Intiminators, Progressive springs, Sargeant seat,DRZ250 tailight,custom plate,LED's,GPS,sumo fender,PT bars,Cycra brushguards IMS lowered pegs, aluminum skid,bearing chain roller,Pirelli,tank bag(gone)

06 Zuk KQ700, Kenda Bearclaw HTR radials Warn RT25 w/ syn. line, 1.5mm clutch shims
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 07:00 AM

The bike sat on the trailer at the Core Banks, which did cause a lot of the steel to rust. I can't imagine living there. There was a Rubicon that was for sale not too far from the coast. When I was looking at it, I noticed that you could literally poke a hole in the frame with your finger! No thanks
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 02:01 PM

I have used an aluminum cleaner for tractor trailer, trailers for years with great success. It's a concentrate that comes in a gallon jug and makes 10 gallons by mixing with water 10:1. Cleans the engine like new, just don't let it set too long [begin to dry] or it stains a blackish color.
Just leave it on until it looks clean and rinse with water. Doesn't effect electrical part either.
Best of all, It's cheap.
It is found at big truck parts stores, and is called "Aluminum trailer cleaner"
There is also another version for stainless and polished alum. that isn't as caustic.
This is how those big truck trailers look so good.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode