86 350d - Honda ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

86 350d

Having an electrical issue. Not getting any spark.
I have checked and tested the kill switch--its good.

It was running, killed it, next day nothing. any ideas or common issues with these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1955 times
Bad spark plug? Have you got power to the coil?
retro likes this.

98 300 Fourtrax 4x4

Custom built mud bike - Now sold.

2004 Foreman 450S

Fully overhauled (nut & bolt rebuild), 2 lift kit, 28 mega mayhems, ITP delta rims, ES floorboards, 22 LED lightbar, Pyle Bluetooth sound system.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 08:03 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1225 times
A lot to go wrong actually; please carefully follow the troubleshooting guide in the service manual.
Will it run if you squirt a little gas in the carb? Then quits?
Probably CDI.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 02:49 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2673 times
Check the ignition switch as well (should be open continuity, same as the kill switch in the run position) and make sure you are getting a neutral light. Also unplug the stator & pulse generator plug (it is under the seat) and make sure those connectors are clean. Do the same with the CDI connectors (the CDI is located high on the frame on the right-front) and look for any CDI connector pins that are pushed in. Check the ground connection to the frame (under the seat on the right-upper frame tube) coming out of the wiring harness and verify that the main 30a fuse and all fuses in the fuse box are good. If those all check out you'll need to check the stator, pulse generator and the ignition coil using a multimeter as advised in the service manual. Have fun!

Edit: If it has a Champion spark plug in it, replace with a new NGK before doing anything else.
misterclean59 likes this.

Last edited by retro; 11-22-2017 at 02:54 AM.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone have the service manual for it and also the steering shaft has wobble in it at the top. I have looked at oem schematics and all it shows is a bushing, Is there not any bearings in the top?
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicked22 View Post
Does anyone have the service manual for it and also the steering shaft has wobble in it at the top. I have looked at oem schematics and all it shows is a bushing, Is there not any bearings in the top?
You'll find a link for Honda service manuals above in @Goober's Sig block.

The TRX350s have a bushing at the top of the steering stem, rather than a bearing, as you found out. Check your steering stem for heavy wear before reusing it... you can buy a good used stem if you need one pretty cheap on the fLeebay or PSN.

Have fun!

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4141 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
Quote:
You'll find a link for Honda service manuals above in @Goober's Sig block.

The TRX350s have a bushing at the top of the steering stem, rather than a bearing, as you found out. Check your steering stem for heavy wear before reusing it... you can buy a good used stem if you need one pretty cheap on the fLeebay or PSN.

Have fun!
hate to burst your bubble bro, but these old girls do not have any problem with the steering stem. where they drop the ball is the metal stud welded to the top of the front axle. they wear down, then the sleeve wears around it, or both ?, this is very common for these atvs.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4141 times
Garage
Quote:
if its at the top under the bars ?, there is a plastic bushing, maybe discontinued today ?. it fits down inside the steering shaft. what I did was: I found an old bearing race that would fit down inside the sleeve, grinded the center out so the steering shaft would slide down in through it, these races are tempered, they don't wear out like the plastic ones do. edit : guess I should paid close attention to where he was talking about ?..claims it is at the top..not the bottom front..lol.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Speed reading again shadetree? Switched to decaff recently? :-)

The plastic bushing you mentioned goes in the steering pivot arm (aka bellcrank).

The steering stem is supported by a metal bushing in the steering head at the top and a sealed ball bearing supporting the bottom of the stem. I think the OP is referring to a worn out bushing at the top of the stem. If those are neglected long the steering stem gets buggered up as well as the ID of the steering head.
LedFTed likes this.

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 01:27 PM

Liked: 211 times
Garage
Are you still having an issue with it not starting, or is that resolved now? I was reading through the thread and it changed directions on a dime

Rob
LedFTed likes this.

I've owned many Hondas over the years, with 2, 3 and 4 wheels.
Im always buying and selling projects and parts

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode