Foreman compared to Sportsman? - Page 2 - Honda ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 06:12 PM

Liked: 436 times
with my 2008 the active decent control works great. it is only activated when in 4wd, it literally crawls down hills without the use of any brakes. i want to add that the sportsman is 1 up on the foreman because they come with disc brakes vs the foreman with drums. everyone has their opinions on polaris. i personally like them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 10:07 PM

Liked: 30 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
with my 2008 the active decent control works great. it is only activated when in 4wd, it literally crawls down hills without the use of any brakes. i want to add that the sportsman is 1 up on the foreman because they come with disc brakes vs the foreman with drums. everyone has their opinions on polaris. i personally like them.
I'm glad to see they added that in that model year, I did some research on them as I haven't looked at them much in years. You can imagine the old system of just having electronic brake assist to the rear tires only on a slippery steep downhill,with one lever braking on top of it.(hairy)
I see that the new xp 550 versions took a cue from Honda, and turned the engines sideways to narrow up the machine some(they were always wide before), and finally added dual a-arms to the front of the machine.. At least there trying to improve on them still, and 40hp on that model also.
It's hard to compare those two 500 models though, because to me their in a different class, even though the engine sizes are the same. One is a pure utility, and the Polaris is an irs sport/utility machine.
I guess it would come down to what you need it for the most, the Polaris would be a smoother, faster all around machine, but the verdict is still out on the newest Foreman 500, if were talking about the 2012 model as to how it works out.
I agree it should have disc brakes, and some type of locker to be a better all around machine.(All the Honda's should)
All the dealers are still sitting on 1 and 2 yr. old new machines in this economy, and I would probably look at those for the best deal if you can find one that you like, and a good dealer sometimes makes our decision easier.

05 Suzuki DR650, Mikuni TM40 flatslide pumper carb,JE 10.5:1 piston,stage 2#190 Webcam,open airbox, Twin Air,full FMF system,Pingel fuel valve,Ricor Racing rear shock, Ricor Racing fork Intiminators, Progressive springs, Sargeant seat,DRZ250 tailight,custom plate,LED's,GPS,sumo fender,PT bars,Cycra brushguards IMS lowered pegs, aluminum skid,bearing chain roller,Pirelli,tank bag(gone)

06 Zuk KQ700, Kenda Bearclaw HTR radials Warn RT25 w/ syn. line, 1.5mm clutch shims
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 07:14 AM

I'll make this comparison easy for you just from what I witnessed this passed weekend:

Polaris:
- Transmission belt started slipping
- Engine started overheating
- Front left axle broke

Honda (2 of them):
- Only one started to overheat due to radiator full of mud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphill View Post
I'll make this comparison easy for you just from what I witnessed this passed weekend:

Polaris:
- Front left axle broke

Honda (2 of them):
what year polaris was that? i see this alot on the older ones, seems like that were crappy built back when they first came out. but most of my in laws have 2004 and newer and havent had problems with any of them?!?!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 10:21 AM

Liked: 33 times
Quote:
most of my in laws have 2004 and newer and havent had problems with any of them?!?!
Let's hope they don't have the extended frame versions with the dump box because as I said before - they are obsolete! What kind of Mickey Mouse company would stop carrying replacement rear driveshafts for machines they sold just 6 years previous.

Their crappy reliability reputation aside their failure to support their customers should be enough to boycott this manufacturer!

4 HONDAS 4 ME
07 Rincon... 26" Mud Bug Rs, 1 1/2" spacers, 2500# Runva winch, Kimpex box, Moose skid plate
07 Rancher 420....Type 5 IPTs w/26" Mud Lites, Moose skid plates & A-arm guards, Viper winch, Kimpex seat, fender guards

Two 06 TRX250EXs.....Tusk nerf bars, swing arm skid plates
85 TRX125.... sadly sold

Haliburton ATV Association - come check out our 1000 miles of trails www.haliburtonatv.com
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 11:03 AM

^^^ luckily they just have the standard models. no 2 ups
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 02:03 PM

Liked: 10 times
Send a message via AIM to JBGill06
Take care of it, and it will run fine. That goes with anything.

2007 Honda Rincon
Twin Air Filter
High Lifter Springs
Viper Max 3500lb Winch
Kimpex Bumpers
Warn Skid Plates
Maier Handguards
ODI Rogue Grips
Maxxis Bighorn 2.0
ITP Mudlite XL

2014 HD Dyna Switchback
Vance&Hines Pro Pipe/Tuner/Intake

2010 GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab 4x4

http://www.youtube.com/user/jbgill06
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 04:46 PM

The poopoo sure aint gonna get much love around here This is a HONDA forum!!!

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."- Albert Einstein
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 12:46 PM

I love my Rubicon but do wish it had IRS
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphill View Post

Polaris:
- Front left axle broke

Honda (2 of them):
what year polaris was that? i see this alot on the older ones, seems like that were crappy built back when they first came out. but most of my in laws have 2004 and newer and havent had problems with any of them?!?!
It had to be a newer one because it was 800 v-twin and it had EFI.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode