Zero turn mower question.. - Honda ATV Forum
Around The Garage Off-Topic conversations here!

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 57 times
Zero turn mower question..

Not sure where else to ask and since you guys are pretty knowledgable...

I have a 2004 Husqvarna with a 25 horse Kawasaki motor. Its a commercial mower that has only mowed my property. Original owners bought it and I bought it from them when I bought the house. Bought the house 5 years ago. It has 1050 hours on it. It mows about 3.5 acres.

This year it has started to not start when its warm. (engine is hot) It always has so far but it has to be cranked for way longer than it should be. When its cold it starts right up with choke. I've changed the fuel filter, air filter and plugs. Made no difference. I bought it with 700 hours. Since I've bought it it has only had high octane, non-ethanol fuel. I'm sure the carb has never been touched. I'm thinking the carb may need a rebuilding. I'm just leery about tackling it as I mow every 5-6 days now. I can't have this mower not running! And right now it still starts. After it starts it runs perfect.

Any ideas? Am I on the right track?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3227 times
Probably on the right track, ya... some Husky models have a fuel shutoff solenoid (it shoves a tapered needle into the main jet well, shutting down fuel supply) mounted under the float bowl that can become sluggish, sticky and/or fail completely. If yours has this device on the carb take it off and clean it good and verify that its not dragging, binding or sticking when the ignition is turned on. You might need a new solenoid gasket once you take that off, but might not depending on the valve mounting type in the bowl. I think there are several variations of those solenoids in use on Huskys.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 12:58 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 7055 times
Garage
I have a 2006 Husqvarna 52 with a Kohler 25 still going strong , it does something similar to what you described , it starts right up when cold with the choke on and throttle up , but after it gets hot say like 30-45 minutes of cutting and I kill it , then it would spin and spin and not fire off , I have learned a technique on how to stop it from doing that , before I kill the engine ,I throttle down to idle for 30 seconds to 1 minute , then kill it , when I go to restart it , I just give it 1/4 of the throttle and no choke and it will fire back up , if I give it full throttle when hot after running it for a long time it will flood it out
_Wilson_ and retro like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 09:12 AM

Liked: 635 times
The engine is probably overheating and causing the fuel to boil. Remove the engine cover/shroud. Blow the 15 years of crap out of the cooling fins. Look closely and do a thorough job. If that isn't it then replace the fuel pump and overhaul the carb.
_Wilson_ and retro like this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
Probably on the right track, ya... some Husky models have a fuel shutoff solenoid (it shoves a tapered needle into the main jet well, shutting down fuel supply) mounted under the float bowl that can become sluggish, sticky and/or fail completely. If yours has this device on the carb take it off and clean it good and verify that its not dragging, binding or sticking when the ignition is turned on. You might need a new solenoid gasket once you take that off, but might not depending on the valve mounting type in the bowl. I think there are several variations of those solenoids in use on Huskys.
Yes, I'm pretty sure mine has that. I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiles View Post
I have a 2006 Husqvarna 52 with a Kohler 25 still going strong , it does something similar to what you described , it starts right up when cold with the choke on and throttle up , but after it gets hot say like 30-45 minutes of cutting and I kill it , then it would spin and spin and not fire off , I have learned a technique on how to stop it from doing that , before I kill the engine ,I throttle down to idle for 30 seconds to 1 minute , then kill it , when I go to restart it , I just give it 1/4 of the throttle and no choke and it will fire back up , if I give it full throttle when hot after running it for a long time it will flood it out
Also something to try. Thanks.

I've looked up carbs, $200 for an original, $80 for an Amazon brand. Haven't been able to find a rebuild kit.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3227 times
Don't replace the carb with china garbage, clean and rebuild it. @misterclean59 probably nailed the cause of your issues and how to solve them.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 10:53 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 7055 times
Garage
Years ago I use to hear the term Vapor Lock , that was when you had a steel tube for the fuel inlet and it would get hot and the fuel would vaporize and not flow to the carb , I remember my Dad having a 55 Chevy and had a wooden clothes pin snapped on the fuel tube , he said it would pull the heat out the tube
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterclean59 View Post
The engine is probably overheating and causing the fuel to boil. Remove the engine cover/shroud. Blow the 15 years of crap out of the cooling fins. Look closely and do a thorough job. If that isn't it then replace the fuel pump and overhaul the carb.
No crap in the cooling fins. That gets checked frequently. Mice like building nests right there over the winter so it gets cleaned out. Shroud comes off a couple times a summer to clean! Next winter I'm just leaving it off. I do have a couple of different plastic bucket mouse traps that seem to be working. And after every mow I use a leaf blower to blow grass off deck. Make it harder for the little ba$tard$ to make a nest!

Fuel pump was $30. I have thought of replacing that. Plenty of gas in the filter though.
misterclean59 and _Wilson_ like this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 01:15 PM

The ethanol in fuel can cause the rubber parts in the carb to swell and starve the carb for fuel. This symptom can come and go as it progresses. Strange thing like this just happened the engine I just fried. No carb parts were available for my Kohler . Nothing looked wrong with it. All the jets were perfectly open. The float didn't look like the rubber had swelled and shut off the fuel but I did grind off some of the float valve to shorten it ......giving it a little higher setting. That didn't work. I had to replace the carb. It worked fine after that. I even took the new carb apart before installing it and compared it to the old one. They looked identical on the inside. I didn't question it any further. I was just glad to have it running again. A similar (undiagnosable) carb problem on a friend's RV. I took that sucker apart 15 times! I couldn't find the problem. The RV place said they have the same problems.......just replace the carb........that fixed it. Sometimes it aint worth figuring it out, well not at my age anyway. I've learned when to give up and chalk it up to one of the many unsolved things in my life.
fishfiles and _Wilson_ like this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budweiser View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterclean59 View Post
No crap in the cooling fins. That gets checked frequently. Mice like building nests right there over the winter so it gets cleaned out. Shroud comes off a couple times a summer to clean! Next winter I'm just leaving it off. I do have a couple of different plastic bucket mouse traps that seem to be working. And after every mow I use a leaf blower to blow grass off deck. Make it harder for the little ba$tard$ to make a nest!

Fuel pump was $30. I have thought of replacing that. Plenty of gas in the filter though.
The fuel can boil after the pump on the way to the carb and in the carb. You can also try to insulate the lines too. Many commercial engines do this.
fishfiles and LedFTed like this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > Around The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in