Any smokers out there? - Page 2 - Honda ATV Forum
Around The Garage Off-Topic conversations here!

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 06:00 PM

Liked: 1622 times
Garage
You fish and @bullfoot , need to cook at the honda meet and greet!
fishfiles likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 06:18 PM

Liked: 352 times
Garage
Ooops, I meant to type 3 hours, not 2, for the size I usually cook. I've heard the same, that slower is better. I changed my mind when I ate my first pork butt cooked in a Orion. LOL
Rather than using slow heat like the Master Built, the Orion cooks via convention and this is why the cooking time is reduced so much.
The correct cooking time for pork butt is 6-8 lbs - 3 hr 30 min. If cooking 2-3 butts the manual says 5 hours.
fishfiles likes this.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 246 times
Garage
I've never heard of the Orion before. There not that pricey, and they look sweet. I see them for $150 $200 & 300 depending on size. I've seen the green eggs, and there proud of them!

My smoke chart shows 1.5 hours per pound on a 6 to 8 lbs butt. So the Orion is definitely a time saver!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
fishfiles likes this.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton Stealth Bumper and 11/16" sway bar
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, OMF Wheels & GBC tires, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Utility Rack & Desert II Front Bumper.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 07:53 PM

Liked: 352 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Quick View Post
I've never heard of the Orion before. There not that pricey, and they look sweet. I see them for $150 $200 & 300 depending on size. I've seen the green eggs, and there proud of them!

My smoke chart shows 1.5 hours per pound on a 6 to 8 lbs butt. So the Orion is definitely a time saver!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Not expensive at all. Made of high grade stainless, I think. Mine sat on the patio for over a year and no rust at all. I have taken better care of it the past year. LOL. Two friends who had the Green Egg switched to the Orion. You/re right, they are way too proud of those eggs.

The time saver is a big thing to me. With the Master Built I have to plan so far ahead and I usually don't do that. LOL

If you decide to try the Orion there is one thing you need to know. You must be sure you're using enough charcoal. Don't just fill it to the top of the outside ring, but fill it above the ring and be sure those briquets are against the cooking tube. The goal is to get the amount right to start with so you don't have to add more charcoal. I never have to do this. Just put the food inside the cooker, light the charcoal in the ring and the 10-12 briquets on the top lid and walk away. Come back when the time is up. Don't even think about using a non-matchlight type charcoal. It does not work because it cannot get the heat up quickly enough. Trust me and Orion explains this in the instructions.
Now, it does produce a lot of smoke so don't use it close to your backdoor. And, it flames fairly high when you first light it so be sure you're a safe distance from anything you don't want to catch on fire.

You can use wood chips, and I do. You place the chips around the edge of the bottom drip pan. The manual does not show this clearly. There's only about 2 inches around the edge of the pan so you don't use, or need, too many chips. For butts I use applewood and hickory chips and for the turkey I use half pecan and half applewood.

I can't imagine anyone who would not love this cooker. No, it's not a true "smoker" but the taste is the same. No, it's better to me.
fishfiles and M_Quick like this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:51 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1283 times
I started with a Cookshack SM-22; it will do two 11lbs shoulders, but you have to swap shelves halfway thru cooking. I take it to our group camp.

I graduated several years ago to the SM-160; it will do 110 lbs of shoulder. I bought the fan kit and run it in the garage–fan pushes the smoke out the garage roof vent.

Started a couple shoulders tonight; brisket tomorrow. Electric heat and wood chunks for flavor. Woops flamed up the chunk when I opened the door
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	762C2D8C-3BE7-490C-AD14-B2EFEF0A4D44.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	134812  
fishfiles likes this.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda

Last edited by Goober; 03-15-2019 at 09:56 PM.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 02:52 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6315 times
Garage
Closest I come to smoking is that I ate at Dickie's BBQ last night , pulled pork , not bad -----at of you guys and girls have a zDickie's near you
Goober likes this.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 07:34 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiles View Post
Closest I come to smoking is that I ate at Dickie's BBQ last night , pulled pork , not bad -----at of you guys and girls have a zDickie's near you
Yup we have a Dickies and a Famous Daves.
When i go to Dickies i get the two-meat plate with sliced and chopped brisket and the ranch beans (more brisket). Their sauce is good; i like a brown sugar MOlasses base.

Favorite rib joint of all time was Glenn’s BBQ in Panama City. I hear the owner passed and the place closed. Most folks don’t understand the expense of BBQ is in the time it takes to make it.

Best BBQ i ever ate, my own–pork shoulder is my go to and i own baby backs–my specialty. I can’t do brisket tho. I want it to be tender and juicy, with a crisp brown bark–maybe today is my day.
fishfiles likes this.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda

Last edited by Goober; 03-16-2019 at 07:36 AM.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 10:58 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 418 times
I don’t t have a smoker, but weekly I use the half side of my Coleman grill which is charcoal. I always soak flavoured smoker chips & toss em on right before the meat hits the grill. The flavour it gives home made Elk & Deer burgers is AMAZING!! I may invest in a smoker though. I’ll have to keep an eye at Cabelas for when they go on sale.
Goober likes this.

1995 Honda 300, 355bbk, 40b Webcam, Springs & Hardened Rockers, 300ex Carb, Ricks CDI, FMF Full Exhaust, EBC DRC Clutch Kit, Outlaw Clutch Springs, Twin Air Filter, HL Disc Brake Conversion, Wide Open 424 kit, HL 2" lift, Bronco Shocks, 26" Zillas, Terra 35 Super Winch, Heat Demon Hand/Thumb Warmers, Powermadd Hand Guards, PIAA 35w Bulbs

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > Around The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode