Chev 383 Stroker - Page 2 - Honda ATV Forum
Around The Garage Off-Topic conversations here!

54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 05:27 PM

Liked: 1805 times
Garage
Quote:
She needs something AWESOME under this hood!!!
Yep! Have you looked into a 427, or 366 ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 06:35 PM

Location: 'Land of Grizzlies and Salmon' .... British Columbia
Liked: 674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Wilson_ View Post
Quote:
She needs something AWESOME under this hood!!!
Yep! Have you looked into a 427, or 366 ?
Mine was a 454 . . . 4sp / 3.73 limited slip / 205 transfer case.
Gassers are . . . ok

The diesel-heads have mentioned a few times "gas is for washing diesel parts".

OP . . . if possible, get a Dodge/Cummins. They are a good set-up.

A year ago, I listed my mid '91 (intercooled) W250 RC 4x4 / 5sp / 3.73 LS
on Kijiji. It had 660,000 km's on it. In 6 days I had 705 'hits' on Kijiji.
If you go the Dodge/Cummins route, people will wave at ya'
_Wilson_ likes this.

'99 Honda Foreman 450ES
'99 Honda Foreman 450S ....
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3158 times
Yep, a diesel will do the job reliably and be economical. I doubt if those lil 383 gassers can ever please ya...? The 50-60 ft lbs max of additional torque will be almost imperceptible towing a load with stock gearing. You'll want 200 ft lbs more torque... not 50. Your OEM electronic engine controls will not work with those 383s either. Gonna have to spend $$$ reprogramming there too, if you can even get them to bolt on to that '99 and prior motor design. Unless the gearing is changed and the cooling system upgraded, the gassers will probably run hot on long uphill runs too. If you really want a SBC gas motor you'll have to build one yourself with more dynamic compression and better heads and valvetrain... and gear the truck down to bring the RPMs up and multiply the torque output some more. 6k+ seems like a lot of money to me.... for a measly 50 ft lbs or so of additional torque? A BBC might net ya 120 -140+ ft lbs more if ya buy a big-cube one, but then everything else on the truck (electronics & cooling system minimum, what is the trans rated to handle?) would require upgrades too.

I've been through this same argument many times with determined folks. I remember two of them distinctly... cause both of those 'torquer' small block builds are still sitting on the owners floors wasting... with less than 1000 miles put on each one. They was just too wimpy (gas hogs too!) for the loads that the owners dreamt they'd be able to lash onto them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 219 times
Garage
Ill be in the same boat as you, Im looking at a 383 stroker for when my old 350 dies.215k currently. Mine sits in storage during winter
wheeler likes this.

2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 with Power Steering
7,000 Miles
Superwinch Terra 35 With Synthetic Rope
EHS Air Box lid
UNI Air Filter
1.5mm Shim Mod
Purple Spring
EHS Fuel Optimizer
Heat Demon Handle Bar Warmers
26x9 and 26x12 Maxxis BigHorn on 12" SS316 Matte Black
Canadian Yamaha Fender Flares
Plano 1510 Box
Join the Wisconsin Riders Group!

Click here for service manuals!
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 11:18 AM

Liked: 436 times
I went through this years ago. started with the small block, then upgraded to 454 one ton. Went to a first gen 12 valve now settled on a 3rd gen 5.9. No question the big block is a much better choice if staying with gas! it handled everything with ease that the small block struggled with, consistently got 9-12 mpg no matter what I had behind it, loaded or unloaded she drank the gas!

Then I stopped messing around and bought a cummins. It just does everything I ask without breaking sweat. no more 45 mph on steep grades, having to constantly watch my temp gauge....just load and go!

The extra money your considering could be better put towards a lower mileage diesel in my opinion.

I Cant stand the dodge body but love the motors! Chevy man at heart.
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 10:07 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 466 times
lower gas counts for everything, plus power. i like my plymouth cars an such, but have also had many chevy's that i liked. course, im talking small scale, to hauling loads, least i'm talking.
i have seen a 350, gas converted to diesel. a waste of time, in my opinion.
that is a subject, i'm still sore about, an may discuss, at a later time.

clymers manual,service manual..
"what a good giff, the good lord gee us,not to see ourselves,as others see us"
hard to talk to morons. even more so, when related..
"ya should get 3 people ta smile or laugh every day" all will feel better
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have too though, ta match the way i walk" ed
"those that dont study history, are doomed to repeat it"
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
"Genius can be measured,not stupid" Albert Einstein
"when you get to old to learn, then what good are you" ed
i havent done friends list,if i do, R the rest not friends?
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 04:05 AM

Liked: 1805 times
Garage
Had to go back an re read the complete string.... Page 7 And you are invested in that truck, new transmition, new tires, electric brakes, new dual exhaust, bed caps , hood scoop, lift kit, Lots of customizing ..... etc.... SO..... so ya! i'd still go with a big block. And YEP! I'd keep my eyes open for a good used dodge cummins, I've got no complains about my 3500
wheeler and Macarena Man like this.
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 454 times
Well yesterday I pulled the pin... Im having a 383 Stroker custom built. going 9.6.1 compression running 91+ octane, I'll get details on cam later. I'm planning on going with a Holley Sniper EFI, & Fast EZ-TCU to control the 4L60E which I'm getting rebuilt with corvette servos, capable of holding up to 500hptq+. Builder says with that set up I'll be well over 400+hp & 475ft/tq+. Should be have it in just over a month... I'm super stoked. She will be a new beast all together!!!
Bryan and _Wilson_ like this.

1995 Honda 300, 355bbk, 40b Webcam, Springs & Hardened Rockers, 300ex Carb, Ricks CDI, FMF Full Exhaust, EBC DRC Clutch Kit, Outlaw Clutch Springs, Twin Air Filter, HL Disc Brake Conversion, Wide Open 424 kit, HL 2" lift, Bronco Shocks, 26" Zillas, Terra 35 Super Winch, Heat Demon Hand/Thumb Warmers, Powermadd Hand Guards, PIAA 35w Bulbs
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 219 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
Well yesterday I pulled the pin... Im having a 383 Stroker custom built. going 9.6.1 compression running 91+ octane, I'll get details on cam later. I'm planning on going with a Holley Sniper EFI, & Fast EZ-TCU to control the 4L60E which I'm getting rebuilt with corvette servos, capable of holding up to 500hptq+. Builder says with that set up I'll be well over 400+hp & 475ft/tq+. Should be have it in just over a month... I'm super stoked. She will be a new beast all together!!!
How much that run you? Congrats!!
wheeler likes this.

2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 with Power Steering
7,000 Miles
Superwinch Terra 35 With Synthetic Rope
EHS Air Box lid
UNI Air Filter
1.5mm Shim Mod
Purple Spring
EHS Fuel Optimizer
Heat Demon Handle Bar Warmers
26x9 and 26x12 Maxxis BigHorn on 12" SS316 Matte Black
Canadian Yamaha Fender Flares
Plano 1510 Box
Join the Wisconsin Riders Group!

Click here for service manuals!
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
How much that run you? Congrats!!

All in I should be just a hair over 10K.. US prices are soo much cheaper than in Canada...

1995 Honda 300, 355bbk, 40b Webcam, Springs & Hardened Rockers, 300ex Carb, Ricks CDI, FMF Full Exhaust, EBC DRC Clutch Kit, Outlaw Clutch Springs, Twin Air Filter, HL Disc Brake Conversion, Wide Open 424 kit, HL 2" lift, Bronco Shocks, 26" Zillas, Terra 35 Super Winch, Heat Demon Hand/Thumb Warmers, Powermadd Hand Guards, PIAA 35w Bulbs

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > Around The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode