anything firewood related - Page 15 - Honda ATV Forum
Around The Garage Off-Topic conversations here!

252Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 259 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 12:18 PM

Liked: 276 times
Garage
@retro How big do the ironwoods get on your end? Most of them I see die out at about 6 or 8 inches dia. However I've seen one of them that was about 12!! I'm a bit of a freak for trees. Not a tree hugger but I do appreciate how majestic they are.

'95 TRX300FW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 259 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2928 times
On my place the Ironwoods usually die off when they reach about 6-8 inches in diameter too! But several years ago the Forestry professor at the university north of here offered me a bunch of standing Ironwood on one of his propertys because he wanted them thinned out. He marked the trees he wanted removed and most of them were huge! It took me half a day to cut them all down and load and haul out the first load. I went through two new chains before I got them all bucked up and hauled out. Man what a job that was! I'd estimate that the largest one I cut was probably about 14-15 inches in diameter... but he had many bigger ironwoods than that still healthy!
machinecrook likes this.

post #143 of 259 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 10:08 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 438 times
what kind of tree ya calling ironwoods? just curious, i like trees, and like firewood, but i dont just like trees because of firewood. water maples grow fast, and make good firewood. so does wild cherry. ornamental pear, has to many small branches, still worth burning, ya get a lot of kenneling[close as i could spell it], an we got sticker trees, part of the locust family. all of these woods burn hot an make good coals. ya need less wood to heat your house or whatever. i left out walnut. it kinda bothers that walnut is burned. when it can be used for a long time as furniture, or other projects.
i made a domino board. i sanded it down smooth, then sprayed it lightly, with ford red spray enamel. then i sanded it down again to where i barely showed through. i coated it with that orange furniture polish. that stuff was oily. later i told windy, a friend of my sister next door, it was blood walnut. you can only get it on the face of cliffs, people have died getting it. shes easy. we both had a good laugh, over that one..

clymers manual,service manual..
"what a good giff, the good lord gee us,not to see ourselves,as others see us"
hard to talk to morons. even more so, when related..
"ya should get 3 people ta smile or laugh every day" all will feel better
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have too though, ta match the way i walk" ed
"those that dont study history, are doomed to repeat it"
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
"Genius can be measured,not stupid" Albert Einstein
"when you get to old to learn, then what good are you" ed
i havent done friends list,if i do, R the rest not friends?
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #144 of 259 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedFTed View Post
what kind of tree ya calling ironwoods? just curious, i like trees, and like firewood, but i dont just like trees because of firewood.
Some folks call them Hornbeam, or Hop Hornbeam trees. There are different species of them... the desert Ironwood is one of the densest in the world, so dense and heavy that it doesn't float in water. The most common Ironwood species grow in the eastern half of North America in nearly every eastern state and province in the US & Canada. They generally grow under the canopy of mature forests and along river bottoms where large trees provide shade. Around here they average about 30-40 feet tall, but I've seen them get much larger in better soil and under virgin timber.

The Ironwood tree is famous for dulling the chains on chainsaws when it is cut. You can see sparks flying off the chain. Gotta resharpen often to keep the chain sharp or it gets hot and ruins the cutters. It produces more BTUs of heat per unit than most other wood species, so it makes a real dandy firewood. But some folks won't touch it cause it eats chains and the wood is heavy and hard on the back, if its big. I like to cut it though... its the best firewood I can get around here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hop-hornbeam.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	130620   Click image for larger version

Name:	hop-hornbeam-bark.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	130622  
_Wilson_, LedFTed and GirlsRideToo like this.

post #145 of 259 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 06:13 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6532 times
Garage
I have a tree story from last week , I was on a job site and they had dug up some trees/shrubs and when I walked up to the excavator there was this strong smell , kind of like Vic's Vapor rub , at first I thought it was lighter knot/fat pine , I took a piece of the splinter wood and put it in the front of my truck , it was like I was getting high , it is over powering , I had to throw it in the back , I think it is camphor ( check that spelling ) , wicked smell but I kind of like it , I heard they use it for medicine ??? someone said it deters mosquitos

you know talking about rumors , myths and half lies you here and come to believe cause you heard it over and over all your life , I heard they cracked down over in Mississippi on the Moon Shine / White Lighting , for years every one was saying that both here in La. and in Miss. you could make two gallons of Shine , at your home , for your own personal consumption, well someone was showing me a article that says that ain't true and they are coming for you if you are brew'in , no matter how small an amount
_Wilson_ likes this.
post #146 of 259 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 09:22 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

medicine

Camphor is correct. used to be in vicks salve, an calamine lotion. the druggies started using it for meth, an such, so it was banned. it has a strong smell. kinda like mothballs. very aromatic, only stronger. dern drug heads
let me know what ya find about the shine. i have had a taste of some that were smooth, an would sit ja down on your bottom, so to speak..

"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have too though, ta match the way i walk" ed
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up

Last edited by LedFTed; 11-03-2018 at 09:24 PM.
post #147 of 259 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 10:18 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

retro;

how tight are the growth rings on this hardwood? them sticker locust, will make your chain saw spark also. i dont know, what is inside them stickers, but it is very flammable. me an pete, run a water hose from my moms to the woods. i had 400' or so, of hose at that time. we lit the stickers on fire. it would burn up those around the tree trunk, near to the top. after they went out, the fire would stop. i had some charred wood as far as the bark goes, but some really hot wood.
i had more than one flat tire from them thorns laying about the ground. not from what i did, they were already there. i used to have to pull some of those stickers heads out of my boots. some were 1/2 long. those are some big stickers thorns, off of that tree. some near a foot long, on the ground.
this is a strange thing i found. ya put some of that wood, or the stickers on an ant hill, it will kill the hive. we got some large ant hills here, or wide. i know they are supposed to improve the ground. i had enough of them, an moles, an so on.

2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up
post #148 of 259 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Growth rings in Ironwood? To be honest, I don't think that I've ever paid any attention to them. But I will check them out the next time I cut one now that you've mentioned them.
LedFTed likes this.

post #149 of 259 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 09:07 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
Growth rings in Ironwood? To be honest, I don't think that I've ever paid any attention to them. But I will check them out the next time I cut one now that you've mentioned them.
i was thinking guitars, stocks for guns, golf clubs.. things like that. i dont play too much golf,, the clubs are to long
they say persimmon makes a good driver head. i think it has wide growth rings, least in the bigger trees. it stinks too, even burning..

2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up
post #150 of 259 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 1696 times
Garage
Any of you guys seen or tried the Fiskars isocore 8 lbs Maul ? I'm still debating on the x27 .... I'm thinking.... Striking the blunt end (with a sledge hammer)of the x27 might cause damage ?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > Around The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode