of mice an moles - Honda ATV Forum
Around The Garage Off-Topic conversations here!

67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 455 times
of mice an moles

i heard some interesting ways to get rid or mice here recently. i can use that, as it involves any atvs, or lawn equipment, or anything... any advice on moles? they dig so many holes lately, it aint safe to put something on jack stands out in the yard, or leave something sit for a bit.. you cant even walk without ankle support. i made the mistake of burying left over night crawlers, they multiplied, so did the moles. i dont want to spray poison. clay dirt can hold that. i was using the blue stuff that kills off pond overgrowth, copper/sulfur, till i found it bonds to clay.

clymers manual,service manual..
"what a good giff, the good lord gee us,not to see ourselves,as others see us"
hard to talk to morons. even more so, when related..
"ya should get 3 people ta smile or laugh every day" all will feel better
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have too though, ta match the way i walk" ed
"those that dont study history, are doomed to repeat it"
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
"Genius can be measured,not stupid" Albert Einstein
"when you get to old to learn, then what good are you" ed
i havent done friends list,if i do, R the rest not friends?
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2002 times
We gas them in the UK then ignite said gas. Don’t over do the propane in the holes though, you end up with a garden looking like no mans land!!
Jeepwm69, _Wilson_ and retro like this.

98 300 Fourtrax 4x4

Custom built mud bike - Now sold.

2004 Foreman 450S

Fully overhauled (nut & bolt rebuild), 2” lift kit, 28” mega mayhems, ITP delta rims, ES floorboards, 22” LED lightbar, Pyle Bluetooth sound system.
post #3 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 05:18 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6688 times
Garage
I have a mole problem right now myself , I been sticking the garden hose down their tunnels and flooding them out , you have to watch close for ground movement , they stick their snout up like a periscope and gets some air without coming out the ground

also have some of the ground crickets ( as we call them , small type of burrow but smaller , there are a insect I would guess

also have the ghost crayfish mounds which look like a volcano , they are not crawfish , I think the real name is something like Walbury digging bud , something with a W , Sevens Dust down the hole in top their mounds does them in fast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 05:59 AM

Liked: 550 times
I have realized good results with putting "predator" scents out near holes, etc., like the following and widely available online: fox, bobcat, and raccoon. Also, you can put "used" cat litter in strategic locations and it will run them off because mice/moles hate seeing Kitty Cats.....
UnkleRaRa likes this.

2017 Honda Pioneer 500
post #5 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 06:10 AM

Liked: 276 times
Garage
I'll have to try the scent trick! Snow just melted here and I've got a war zone; moles went crazy over the winter. I'd rather trap them and find them with spikes through their back though - this is going to be a long fix for my lawn....

'95 TRX300FW
post #6 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 06:19 AM

Liked: 521 times
Garage
My parents used to have a giant mole problem, nothing work work good enough.... till we got a dog.... Buddy gets 2-3 moles a day. You can't beat a dog.
LedFTed likes this.

• 2001 Honda TRX 416ex
  • 2003 Honda TRX 416ex
  • 1999 Honda 300ex
  • 2014 Polaris 1000 xp Turbo
  • 1998 Yamaha PW 80
post #7 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 07:36 AM

Liked: 2032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitRacing6 View Post
My parents used to have a giant mole problem, nothing work work good enough.... till we got a dog.... Buddy gets 2-3 moles a day. You can't beat a dog.
I think a hungry cat will do way better than a dog will LOL

they do sell electronic devices you stick in the ground that CLAIM it makes them leave the area, as they don't like the sound waves that then travel thru the ground!

I would maybe try filling any holes you find with lime, when it rains and such will get rock hard on your and plug the holes and make there lives more work ?
and will only help your soil PH, so a win win! maybe

there are a lot of homemade things for mice, but I don't know of them for moles? different critters
but a few cats should help on them IMO
and there always free to get!

my dog wouldn;t kill a mole if his life depended on it, NOT all dogs have that drive
Cats tend to have more predictor drive built into them, they will kill for fun, and have better hunting skills and tools than a dog too
NOT bashing dogs, so don't take it that way
just most cats have better odds of being hunters(again NOT all cats are hunters some are just as lazy as anything else, normally spoiled one's and ones over fed IMO) ) and the tools(claws and reflexes) that help them hunt better, dogs have better noses and MAYBE hearing, but cats IMO win the war on being hunters, smaller lighter faster more flexible, more stealthy,and then claws and reflexes
plus cats have 9 lives LOL
hard to maybe beat a cat for mice/mole control ?
IF you can tolerate them on the land
misterclean59 and SamUK like this.
post #8 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 07:57 AM

Liked: 521 times
Garage
Cats do not go after moles. We have 3 cats and the farm and they only get mice and rats.
misterclean59 likes this.

• 2001 Honda TRX 416ex
  • 2003 Honda TRX 416ex
  • 1999 Honda 300ex
  • 2014 Polaris 1000 xp Turbo
  • 1998 Yamaha PW 80
post #9 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 08:06 AM

Liked: 2032 times
Quote:
Cats do not go after moles. We have 3 cats and the farm and they only get mice and rats.
the farm I managed for 20 yrs, the cats there killed everything from moles to turkeys to snakes and even turtles!
like Is aid, NOT all cats OR dogs are the same hunters
but IMO< cats are way more likely to kill things, , due to its more in there nature, they enjoy being sneaky and playing with things /killing them
PLUS< many MANY MANY cats will actually KILL< thinking there HELPING there humans out
its why so many cats will kill, and leave things at door steps, as there offering them up to there owners as gifts LOL
mostly NOT wanted gifts I bet! but there known to do this
misterclean59 and _Wilson_ like this.
post #10 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2002 times
Quote:
Ours has had two, two is a lot as we very rarely get moles, haven’t a clue where the cats found them from lol.

98 300 Fourtrax 4x4

Custom built mud bike - Now sold.

2004 Foreman 450S

Fully overhauled (nut & bolt rebuild), 2” lift kit, 28” mega mayhems, ITP delta rims, ES floorboards, 22” LED lightbar, Pyle Bluetooth sound system.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > Around The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in