just some pic - Page 51 - Honda ATV Forum
Around The Garage Off-Topic conversations here!

604Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #501 of 563 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 1990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post
Same with the humming birds here. I was filling my feeders twice a day and there were 30-40 of them around the patio. All the sudden, all gone except for a few stragglers. Haven't seen any at all in a couple of days.

Someone at work yesterday said the almanac is calling for a warm, wet winter. I think I'd trust what mrbb is seeing over a human's prediction.
all the weather folks here are saying the same thing, WARM WET winter, above average temps and lots of rain >
I am sure hoping there wrong, I have had my fill of rain this past 6 months to last me a few yrs LOL

and I just wish we would have a regular winter, without so many darn temps wings, be it ALL cold or ALL warm, but back and forth every day or other day is just lousy to work with, screws up too many things from things budding too soon then cold and without the normal weeks of snow fall, all the litter on the ground is NOT breaking down, and all the insects are living thru times when most would die off
for most of my life we NEVER had ticks here, but past 10+ yrs of warm winters and such, Ticks have migrated from the south to here, and they SUCK IMO
same with spiders, last few yrs we have SO many any more , that I think lack of regular cold winters used to keep numbers down or NONE at all of some species

I have been seeing mosquito's flying about last few yrs in Dec and Jan and Feb too, which also never used to happen in MY life time

I won't claim to be no expert, but I still say the climate is changing, for what ever reasons and NOT for the better!, or not for the better for humans, insects seem to be striving!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #502 of 563 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 12:03 PM

Liked: 1700 times
Garage
Exclamation

Well i certainly got a surprise! ...... Had to empty the ash drum, laid it over to load n haul it off, and my eye caught this 8 leg critter.... I had a time catching it! This one makes the 3rd black widow I've ever seen around these parts.

This day has certainly been interesting .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	130360  
fishfiles and machinecrook like this.
post #503 of 563 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 10:18 PM

Liked: 387 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Wilson_ View Post
Well i certainly got a surprise! ...... Had to empty the ash drum, laid it over to load n haul it off, and my eye caught this 8 leg critter.... I had a time catching it! This one makes the 3rd black widow I've ever seen around these parts.

This day has certainly been interesting .
I hope the catching was followed by a smashing.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #504 of 563 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 06:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Yep ^^^RIP, Never did find the egg sack.....get this, back years ago, while unloading grain, i went to put on a pair of cut proof work gloves, (this was the second black widow smaller..possibly a male ?) was right in the wrist area inside the glove. Close call.

I sent the above pic to a Few friends, I got some very interesting replys back..... The best was... Your all set for Halloween haha, and ill get you again this year <<< this character/target that vaselined my door knobs....

And i got new neighbors Dale, and Stacy AGAIN LMBO..... My text... Y'aw want this thing....it's NO trouble..... I'll just let it loose in your mail box ... The reply..... No, we're good lol! ....oh and we'll watching you close for a few days...haha! <<<< eyes watching for the character trap set!
fishfiles likes this.
post #505 of 563 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 06:58 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6543 times
Garage
I have found a few here , they seem to like to live under a piece of wood that has been laying on the ground for a long time ---- looks like you got a big one there !!! I have found many of egg sacks before , a lot more egg sacks which I think were black widows then spiders , they have been talking about a brown widow lately , ever heard of one of 'dem
post #506 of 563 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 07:08 AM

Garage
Maybe a brown recluse ?

I've been bitten by those before.... 4 times .... They don't effect me much, actually, fish a wasp sting is worse, for me, << even worse then a fire ant sting...
post #507 of 563 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 08:25 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
Nah , they are calling them brown widows

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latrodectus_geometricus
post #508 of 563 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 08:43 AM

Liked: 387 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Wilson_ View Post
Quote:
Yep ^^^RIP, Never did find the egg sack.....get this, back years ago, while unloading grain, i went to put on a pair of cut proof work gloves, (this was the second black widow smaller..possibly a male ?) was right in the wrist area inside the glove. Close call.

I sent the above pic to a Few friends, I got some very interesting replys back..... The best was... Your all set for Halloween haha, and ill get you again this year <<< this character/target that vaselined my door knobs....

And i got new neighbors Dale, and Stacy AGAIN LMBO..... My text... Y'aw want this thing....it's NO trouble..... I'll just let it loose in your mail box ... The reply..... No, we're good lol! ....oh and we'll watching you close for a few days...haha! <<<< eyes watching for the character trap set!
Sounds like your friends/neighbors are all in for Halloween fun and game. Better watch your back. You know what they say about payback. LOL

I used to leave my snake boots, rubber boots and gloves on the covered porch at our farm. I stopped that after finding a brown recluse in my one of my boots. To this day I cannot put on gloves or boots until I shake them out really well. LOLLL
_Wilson_ likes this.
post #509 of 563 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 09:28 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
I shake my boots out every time also , never had a spider that I knew about , but one time I put them on and smashed a big toad frog ----- guest that come around my house and leave their boots laying around unattended in the way , better shake them out cause something is going to be in there , like trash
post #510 of 563 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 08:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Sounds like your friends/neighbors are all in for Halloween fun and game. Better watch your back. You know what they say about payback. LOL

I used to leave my snake boots, rubber boots and gloves on the covered porch at our farm. I stopped that after finding a brown recluse in my one of my boots. To this day I cannot put on gloves or boots until I shake them out really well. LOLLL
Yep i don't dare put on my boots or gloves without a good shaking!

It's gets plain wicked here....haha! Been chased off of many places! I reckon one of the best roles was a funeral home, one of my cohorts... Had a beef with them over a family members funeral.... That went kind of um bad! So we hit that place with two pickups loaded down with TP, and saran wrap. we ended buying every role big lots had.... We had a lot of eyes watching as cart after cart made it's way out to the parking lot..... That role actually made the news paper!

And .... We have identical twins...ah about a mile as the crow flys.... Very rarely did we ever succeed at gettin them good..... These guys were H--l bent at stoping us, one always hit around close to the house, in scrubs in camo, with a ski mask and all blacked out, his amo ... Was a few dozen rotten eggs, and the other... Always hid way up in the trees.... With one of those high powered water guns filled with dyed water.... Those were some super fun times! I can't name one time we were ever 100% successful at nailing them, ive even had a tracter sitting right off the road in a hay field.... Widows soaped , and completely wrapped in Saran Wrap .... i never did find out who did that one..... I think it's that same pest that Vaselined my door knobs...lol..... It might be all out war this year!
fishfiles likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > Around The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode