Honda ATV Forum banner

Own a Pioneer? What's your impressions?

41K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  Gary Stoffel 
#1 ·
I'd sure like to here from some of you Pioneer owner's to see what you think of your machine.

We haven't had much owner feedback, and I for one would like to know your experiences. Do you like the machine? How does it ride, pull, drive, and compare with other machines you've encountered? Would you buy it again? Does it have enough power?

It is a big investment, and your feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 ·
I have no experience with the Pioneer 500 or 1000, but owned a Pioneer 700. I owned one of the first ones with auto transmission and see now it's available with shift paddles, a nicer option in my opinion. My unit had the "flip up" seats, and keeping them reasonably clean was difficult and when you needed them, you literally couldn't bring a cooler along. I also did not like the locked rear end and would like a open/turf mode. I sold the unit and have a Kawasaki Mule, very nice, smoother and very quiet unit.

#3 ·
Have ridden with a couple of the 1000's.

Owners like them, for the most part.

The other day one of them said now that the temps are warming up that he's discovered that the cabs get HOT from engine heat.

I googled it and looks like a lot of people are having problems with hot cabs. Looks like most are making it tolerable by adding reflective materials on the underside of the seat.

#4 ·
I've got a 1000-5 deluxe. I bought it because it will seat 5 people without the extra length of the other 4 seater UTVs. Its got plenty of power, rides nice. The seat heat is noticeable but not unbearable to me. I haven't taken it on any day long trips or anything, just riding my little one around the farm and doing chores around the house.

#5 ·
Wow! I wonder if Honda is addressing the heat in the cab/seat problem. I may have to rethink whether the 1000 is my dream machine. It almost sounds like they need a recall type fix for the machines previously sold.

Great engineering is why I've owned Honda ATV's for the past 35 years, and I find this heat problem very surprising.

#12 ·
My 700 hasn't even got to the initial service yet...but during deer season that heat was a nice thing to have when leaving the blind after the sun went down! It does have the half-doors so probably not as good as others on dissipating heat. I haven't exercised it in warmer temps (bought it in October and live in Wisconsin) but will see.

#7 ·
my neighbor bought the Pioneer and it was for sale 3 months after he got it , he owns and operates a ATV repair and parts business and is a hardcore Honda guy who rides every weekend , so that is saying a lot ----- my best friend bought a Kawasaki Mule extended cab end of last year and as far as a utility UTV I think it is the best one out there , he loads it up with 8 kids and adult and takes it thru the mud , a sight to see ------Honda has a lot to learn in the utility UTV game

#9 ·
I'll ask him when he gets back from the Mud Nationals , he is on a free trip on HighLifer as he is dealer for them , he came by my house and rode with us one weekend when it was brand new , and he called it a piece of crap , he spent $3k on extras for it right off the bat , lift kits , tires and rims, sound system , light bars , etc and took a lost selling it , so that says something --- I recently had a chance to buy a 6 wheel John Deer for $1,800 that was pretty decent and past on it , there is a brand new Can-Am 1000 6 wheel drive that is a 2015 that didn't sell and the dealer has a big sale on it this weekend , that thing looks like a nightmare on the pocket book when it breaks ----- I think the Mule is the best thing out there right now for a utility UTV

#10 ·
Having cab heat issues is going to be a given when you have an engine between you and the passenger, this happens with every model. rhino, commander, teryx, etc.

that's unavoidable.

If the cost wasn't so high for the 1000 5 seater I would sell my rzr's and buy one, but I really don't think its worth 20k.

#13 ·
Again not fully tested yet but the transmission on the 700 seems to take some time to "wind-up" and so far I would say it is not ideal for close quarter work. Once in motion it works great. Never experienced the other brands so don't know if that is a problem unique to Honda.

#15 ·
I have the 3 seat 1000. I'm very happy with it. I live in Iowa and it does get hot under the seat and almost every side by side does that. You can bake a potato in the cup holder of a can am commander. ....and I'm a can am fan too! I used to race them. With out getting too long winded here I boiled it down to reliability/longevity VS. luxury/comfort options. .....so imo nobody offers a cab and other comforts that compare to a ranger. However I put my stock in reliability. The hounda tranny has been outstanding. It shifts incredibly smooth, it will hold in gear going down hills and down shifts flawlessly when slowing from 55mph. The motors are bulletproof and you just can't beat the mechanical reliability of a Honda. To address your heat concerns, I mounted a 4 inch bilge fan under the center of the seat with a vent cut through the plastic. It's been great because in the winter it blows hot air off the motor into the cab and in the summer I just switch the wires and blow the hot air back pulling cool air through the cab......but in Iowa I often use both options on the same day haha.

Just my two cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 ·
To address your heat concerns, I mounted a 4 inch bilge fan under the center of the seat with a vent cut through the plastic. It's been great because in the winter it blows hot air off the motor into the cab and in the summer I just switch the wires and blow the hot air back pulling cool air through the cab......but in Iowa I often use both options on the same day haha.

Just my two cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Genius.

Like I said, if Honda doesn't figure out a fix, owners will.

#17 ·
fishfiles, you said your neighbor bought a the Pioneer and put it up for sale 3 months later. What Pioneer are you referring to - 500, 700, or 1000? They are very different machines and engines, and I wonder which one he had. I hope it wasn't the 1000 since I think I'll get one.

#19 ·
I bought a 1000 last July . First trip, I smashed the skid plate and busted a calliper protector. I'm lucky to have my own shop and made a 1/4'' stainless skid plate and new 1/8 calliper protectors. I then put it on a trailer and went to Newfoundland. I took this machine up and down the roughest country Canada has to offer. I followed Argos up mountains ,through marshes ,rivers, ponds and dense scrub and forest. The Argo riders had sore necks because they kept looking back to see if I was still there. I WAS! Got stuck in one bawg hole. Was water up to bottom of steering wheel. Took 2 Argos to pull me out. (Driver error) I can say, this machine will go anywhere. I am not your normal owner. Most people wouldn't pay 20+ thousand dollars and test their machine to its limits. I did. Performance will not be outdone in my opinion. That being said' there are weak spots. I now have to replace floors with stainless as the where destroyed by stumps. The suspension is a bit stiff for steep ,rough inclines and body tears easily. I hear there is a new suspension kit and I can improve floors and body. Oh yeah, I pulled the Argos out all day!

#20 ·
Wow! Remind me never to venture out with you. I'd wait at the bottom of the hill polishing my machine. LOL If you'd filmed your ventures, Honda would probably buy the adventure highlights. It's nice to know the 1000 can hack it albeit with a few problems.

You should consider selling your enhancements to the machine.

#21 ·
I had a pioneer 1000-5 deluxe and loved it. I had it for a little over a year and put 500 or so miles on it. It was smooth, quick enough, relatively quiet, and would go through anything. I bought it to ride with my kids and wife but they never really wanted to go with. Ended up being just me in a 5 seat $18000 machine. After riding trails and some off-road parks, I just couldn't bring myself to put that much money into mud and water. I found myself avoiding areas out of fear of damaging a toy that was close in price to my daily driver.

Now, that isn't to say that it WOULD get messed up. I'm confident it could have handled a lot more than I threw at it.

If my family were more into it, the smiles from the kids would have overshadowed my fears and I would have had fun and fixed it as it needed it. But for just me, it didn't make sense to beat on that pricey of a toy. I'm on a 2015 Rubicon now and love it.

If I were in the market for a SXS again, I would go right back to that machine. No buyer's remorse at all.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

#22 ·
cuoutdoors....... That is a great idea with the bi-directional fan to direct the engine heat. How did you cut the hole without making a mess of it? Does it create much more of an engine noise problem? It would be easy to add a switch to reverse the fan direction.

Some of these manufacturers should incorporate this into their machines.

#30 ·
Sorry I missed this comment.

No it does not add engine noise. The fan is louder than the engine. I should've bought a switch to change directions but at the time I didn't think it was necessary. I put foil under my seat and have zero heat coming through. There are a lot of sxs' out there with heat issues. You can cook your lunch in the console of a commander.

I agree it shouldn't be a problem with a machine that costs so much. There just isn't a perfect machine out there. They all have their flaws and need a fix here and there. It just is what it is. Buy what is closest to your needs then improvise, overcome, and adapt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#23 ·
This thread has been very informative to me and others I'm sure. I hope it continues. I've owned ATV's for 30 years, but UTV's are a new animal to me. I hope to involve my family in recreational trail riding by buying a UTV, and use it for chores naturally too. We live in Wisconsin and have a lot of good places to ride.

I'm also looking at a 7' wide, enclosed trailer to store and haul the Pioneer 1000 in. I will locate the side door such that I can get in and out of the UTV with it inside the trailer. Approx. cost of trailer is $5,000. It makes for a expensive recreational set-up, but I hope to get a lot of enjoyment from it. I was advised by the trailer dealer to avoid an 8' wide trailer if possible due to the additional wind resistance.

#26 ·
Hey I'm going to dig up an old thread here just to see if there are any new Pioneer guys on here.

I have a 2014 700-2 and love it! That being said.....it ate it's cam at 675 miles and a couple years old. Turns out Honda had a bad cam that went into the Big Red UTV and one model 4 wheeler, I think Rubicon. It was an expensive fix and after many phone calls we ended getting most of the labor covered. I remember the mechanic asking me if I bought a warranty. I said hell no, I bought a Honda! New cam with new part number that matches the 2015 models. Fingers crossed.

The transmission is why I held out from buying another UTV for so long. I'm Honda loyal and I had no interest whith a belt drive. When they came out with a UTV without belts for 10k I jumped all over it. Everyone complains about the lack of low gear and the posi rear end but I really don't mind. I new that when I bought it.

Some guys buy them expecting it to be something it is not. Your not gonna haul ass and race around on the 700 or even the 1000. Honda doesn't have that model yet but just wait, there has been something in the works for a while now called the Talon and the patents they have are pretty interesting. And don't forget the 500. For it's size I've heard it's quite the toy and goes through quite a bit.

#28 ·
I appreciate the post by "Manny", but something tells me he has not been on a long ride in a P1000. Even with the "heat shield" that they put on the 2018 P1000's the cab is nearly intolerable. The "heat shield" isn't much more than a piece of fireproof cardboard. The seats and your legs don't get warm, they get hot. I know some creative guys have come up with their own solutions which usually involve a fan and a few large intakes/exhausts ducts. However when you spend 18K on a high end machine, I don't think you should have to be creative genius to make the machine rideable. I'm tired of stuffing towels around the seats, and holding my door open in an attempt to get relief from the excess heat. I can't accept the statement that it's unavoidable. Let's call a spade a spade, it's poor engineering which I just didn't expect from Honda. I've owned Honda machines, motorcycles, three wheelers, ATV's, and now the P1000, for 40 years, and this is the first one that I have been dissatisfied with there engineering.

Just as an aside, when you start adding those extras like a winch, then you need to add a second battery with the proper wiring etc. Another weak engineering point about the machine. When you order a machine with a winch, I would think they would advise you that you need an additional battery arrangement if you don't want to drain the battery to the point of the machine being inoperable. Of course I found this out the hard way.

Sorry for being a little bitter, but I just expected so much more from Honda. I still think Honda makes mostly superior equipment - just not the P1000.

#31 ·
I have a 2017 1000 - 5 it is a very good machine does 65 mph on the street i had the top and windshield installed the day i got it,I live in south east Louisiana and it is hot down here, yes it has heat in cab but it does not bother me guess we use to it, the sxs runs great around here. we have rain almost every day in the summer and that makes mud really dont use 4x4 that often more fun to drive in 2wd it is a work and play kind of machine around here we have Horses and I also use it to pick up Grand kids from school this thing starts up and runs great lots of power fun to drive goes with me to the camp cant find anything bad to say about it and I have a smile on my face when i drive it and no one has said anything about the heat in the cab wish i got it before i got the 420 but i still use it also.

Reactions: Jeepwm69
#32 ·
I've had ATV's for decades. Still have my '02 Rancher with just short of 10K on the clock.

My first UTV was the Yamaha Viking. I didn't go Honda at that point, because the 700 without low range would have been useless to me.
The Viking was a great machine. I put right at 1000 miles on it. But by this time last year, the negative aspects of the machine finally got to me; Too noisy, not enough real power, locked rear dif (no turf) and poor suspension. In short, it was too far towards the "utilitarian" side, and not enough on the "sport" side. A great machine, but I wanted more.

I picked up my Pioneer 1000-3 LE last June, & love it. Yea, the passenger seat gets hot.. I put an 8" automotive fan under the seat, and that seems to do the trick. The LE comes with fox shocks that work very, very well. The motor makes more than enough power for any trial riding, and is QUIET.

I have just short of 700 miles on it now, and am very happy with my purchase. I believe I'll keep it around for awile. :)

Attachments

#33 ·
I'd sure like to here from some of you Pioneer owner's to see what you think of your machine.

We haven't had much owner feedback, and I for one would like to know your experiences. Do you like the machine? How does it ride, pull, drive, and compare with other machines you've encountered? Would you buy it again? Does it have enough power?

It is a big investment, and your feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
I bought a 2018 pioneer 1000-5.
It rides fine. The huge problem with this vehicle is the heat rising up from the front and back seats. It was never discussed when I bought it, when I called the dealer concerning this issue, they said yea, that is a big problem with this machine?? I gave them my Vin # and was told nothing could be done? I would have NEVER bought this machine. It’s unbearable. All of the after market fixes do not help or only marginal fixes, like 15% improvement? I cannot believe Honda would still sell a machine with this problem. Is their a class action law suit that I can get involved with? Any help would be appreciated! Thank you

#34 ·
You should join the hondasxsclub forum. You'll find a TON of ideas to virtually eliminate the seat heat.

Keep in mind, the only SxS's that don't have cab heat are the ones with the engine BEHIND the cab.. for a 4 seater, that means it's as long as a bus. One of the really cool things about the Pioneer is it's short wheelbase. It's so much easier to get thru tight spots.

All the others built similarly have heat in the cab. The Can Am and the Kawi Tyrex are some of the worst.

I have all but eliminated the seat heat in mine with a simple fan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.