Honda ATV Forum banner

2x4 Rancher Recall

36K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  HardinCoHunter 
#1 ·
If this is a repost I'm sorry..

Honda recalls ATVs for possible bad weld

In cooperation with the Consumer Product Safety Commission, American Honda is recalling about 2,900 ATVs due to a crash hazard. February 22, 2012

Torrance, CA - Industry News from Honda
Dealernews.com In cooperation with the Consumer Product Safety Commission, American Honda is recalling about 2,900 ATVs due to a crash hazard. Owners should stop using the units unless otherwise instructed, the government says.
According to the CPSC, a weld on the ATVs’ front right upper suspension arm can separate, causing the driver to lose control.
Honda is aware of four incidents of suspension arm weld failures, including one in which a rider suffered a sprained wrist.
The recall involves the following 2012 two-wheel-drive FourTrax Rancher models:

• models with VINs ranging from 1HFTE344* C4500841 through C4502580, with the “*” denoting a random alphanumeric identifier 0 to 9 or “X”
  • TRX420TM models with VINs ranging from 1HFTE340* C4500542 through C4501681
The VIN is located on the top center front of the frame and is visible by looking down between the bars of the gear rack and through the middle opening of the front fairing. Consumers are being asked to contact a Honda dealer to schedule a free repair. American Honda is contacting customers directly.

See less See more
#2 ·
Made sticky.

#4 ·
You're welcome.

#6 ·
We just dropped my girlfriends '12 rancher 4x4 off at the dealer for the first service, and when we went to pick it up they said it was recalled for the same reasons mentioned in the first post here. Any one have any more info on this?

#9 ·
My dealer just called and let me know of a recall for the same thing like you said. Mines a 2012 4x4 ES.

#7 ·
February 2012
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL NOTICE

Dear TRX420TE/TM Owner:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the Consumer Product Safety Act.

What is the reason for this notice?
In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, Honda is conducting a safety recall of
certain 2012 model year Honda TRX420TE/TM (2WD) All Terrain Vehicles (ATVs).

What is the problem?
A weld on the front right upper suspension arm on affected ATVs may fail due to insufficient weld penetration. If
the weld fails, the right front wheel of the ATV may suddenly and unexpectedly angle outward causing the
steering to pull towards the right side. This could negatively affect the rider’s ability to steer the ATV and
potentially lead to a crash.

What should you do?
Call any authorized Honda ATV dealer and make an appointment to have the right upper suspension arm of
your ATV replaced, free of charge. Replacement of the upper suspension arm may be completed in
approximately 15 minutes. Please plan to leave your ATV for a longer period of time to allow the dealer
flexibility in scheduling. Honda recommends that affected ATVs not be ridden until the upper suspension
arm has been replaced.

For assistance with locating a Honda ATV dealer, you may call Honda Motorcycle Customer Support at 1-866-
784-1870 or use the “find a dealer” option at Honda Powersports - Motorcycles, ATVs, Scooters, Watercraft

Who to contact if you experience problems?
If you are not satisfied with the service you receive from your Honda dealer, you may contact:

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Motorcycle Customer Support
Mail Stop 100-4C-7B
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90501-2746
1-866-784-1870

#8 ·
June 2008
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL NOTICE
Dear TRX420 Rancher Owner:
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the Consumer Product Safety Act.
What is the reason for this notice?
In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, American Honda Motor Co., Inc. is conducting a safety recall of certain 2007-08 model year Honda TRX420FM and TRX420FE ATVs. Our records indicate that you own one of these vehicles.
What is the problem?
If the rubber CV (constant velocity) boots get punctured or torn from trail hazards such as rocks and fallen branches, the joint will become contaminated with dirt and other debris. This contamination, combined with unique factors related to the design, lay-out, and manufacture of the outboard CV joints (part of the front driveshaft assembly) as assembled onto your TRX420 could cause them to bind. If the binding becomes severe, it may affect the rider’s ability to control the steering and could lead to a crash in which the operator could be seriously injured or killed.
What should you do?
Honda recommends that you do not operate your TRX until the front driveshaft assemblies have been replaced. During the month of July, Honda will begin to notify customers by mail that parts are becoming available and they should contact an authorized Honda ATV dealer to have their TRX420 Rancher repaired. We kindly request you wait for this 2nd letter before attempting to schedule the repair. When the repair is scheduled, the dealer will replace both front driveshaft assemblies free of charge.
If you must operate your TRX prior to repair you should frequently inspect the rubber CV boots. At a minimum, you must inspect the boots before each ride.
Visual and Physical inspection of the CV Boots:Park the TRX on a flat, hard surface, such as a driveway or hard-packed dirt surface. Turn the handlebars to the left. With the handlebars turned to the left, closely inspect the left side outer rubber CV boot, looking for holes or tears in the rubber material, using your fingers to inspect between the folds, and ensuring that the CV boot clamps are secured. Slowly roll the ATV back and forth to inspect the full circumference of the boot. Repeat the same procedure to the right side.
If you do not feel qualified to inspect your CV boots, please do not operate your TRX.
Who to contact for help:
Your Honda selling or servicing dealer. Should you need assistance in locating a Honda dealer, please visit our website at http://powersports.honda.com/atvs/.
Who to contact if you experience problems:
If you are not satisfied with the service you receive from your Honda dealer, you may write to:
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Motorcycle Customer Support
Mail Stop 100-4C-7B
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90501-2746
(866) 784-1870

#10 ·
I own one of the 2012 Rancher 420TM models listed in the VIN range and called my dealer about the issue and they said that mine had already been repaired in February before I purchased it, but there was a new recall for the front left upper suspension arm as well now that just came out in November 2012. Hope this helps, I havn't been sent anything official yet but did see this online at the link below.

http://www.moto123.com/motorcycle-news/article,honda-recalls-1-920-atvs.spy?artid=149806

#11 ·
Received this recall on my 2012 Rancher 4X4 AT yesterday. Both right and left upper control arms are to be replaced. I have not received a recall yet on my 2012 Randher 4X4 ES. I bought both of these on 10/19/12.

#15 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.