Honda ATV Forum banner

New purchase -1998 300 Four Trax semi project

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Goober 
#1 ·
What do you think....I’ll try to post pics and a vid but it runs decent on a kick start (electric start is out). Also looks like the tank is a darker blue so may paint. Paying $850

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
1998? I don’t think so.

Looks good! 2WD. New seat. Original muffler and header pipe cover. Needs a kick starter cover–those are easy to get. Original tires.

Looks earlier than 98 tho–slick fender guards

Better research that VIN and engine serial i think 93. 93 and 98 parts not all compatible

Download or buy a service manual and start service intervals.

#6 ·
I can tell you this !. the ring and pinion gear from a 2000 trx300fw WILL fit a 1988 trx300fw !. yes..i installed them in my '88 trx300fw :).

#5 ·
front brake master cylinder is china, not oem. how I know this ?, all honda oem master cylinders have the sight glass on the FRONT !. is it worth 800 ?..maybe..maybe not ?. depends on all what is wrong with it ?.

Reactions: _Wilson_
#7 ·
Frame post sticker stated 1998.....see pic

Has some issues but overall decent shape. Can trace ownership history (same family) back a dozen or so years/ has been serviced / runs out and idles fine as it should.

More rust than I like so talked him down a little.... but did buy it.

Issues I saw:

- carb primer push leaking due to bad seal
- electric starter selinoid is out
- needs kick start cover
- both racks need to be removed sanded and painted

That is all I saw for now.... I’ll knock the dust off and see what I find

#9 ·
Okay maybe the PO put slick fender guards on a 98. There might be a sticker under the seat (looks new too) with an R color code; maybe originally had different plastics on it.

Cross reference the VIN and engine serial numbers with the service manual. The 98-00 uses a single CDI with top mounted connector earlier years use separate CDI and overheat alarm units with side-mounted connectors. These unit even among earlier years are not all compatible.

#10 ·
Good pics, but ... Just not enough .... I'd like to see the air filter (foam) cause, it's got a uni sticker (upside down) and the left hand .... grip ?? Questionable .... Sigh... And ... Looks to have factory tires, and over size fuel line, and as shade mentioned cheep master cylinder.

#11 ·
Started working through this thing last night over a Natural Light or eight. Got some parts ordered (got to love how cheap most parts are ...even OEM). I let it run for 20-25 minutes after filling it up with non E and alittle sea foam.......sat there and hummed along like you'd expect it too.

Unbolted all the racks before work this am and added first coat of black paint which Ill finish when I get home.

Questions I have:

-Tire replacement.....when searching everyone seems to think the Kendra Bear Claws are a good stock replacement but if I was to want to change out rims as well what size/ bolt pattern etc would I search for? Local CL ad has some 2018 Rubicon take offs (black wheels and tires) that looks nice.

-Carb primer pump button. Can I simply unbolt the old and install the new or do I need to pull the carburetor assembly to do it?

Thanks guys

#14 ·
I think 94 was the last year for the blue plastics in the USA , don't know about other countries , I know 95 was the last year for the smooth fenders flares , but you never know what the P.O. done ------the reason the rear diff assembly has a different part number after 98 was the steel washer over the seal

#15 ·
Got one on the way!!!!!!
Good just keep in mind what we’re telling you about the year vs apparent mods. Cross reference the frame and engine #s because at least that bodywork is from a different year. Even carburetor and jetting could be different although the primer plunger is probably universal. Probably all 98 under the blue plastic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.