Honda ATV Forum banner

New member from Ireland

2K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  retro 
#1 ·
Hi guys. New member here from Ireland. My son has been suffering withdrawal symptoms since he got rid of his Suzuki Grand Vitara 4x4 and changed to a big Transit van. Last week his cunning plan was revealed when he brought home a 1988 TRX300FWW in "running" order in the van.
The motor and gearbox work but thats about it. We have spent some time dismantling it and so far have found the following items need to be replaced:

1 Both steering knuckles and wheel bearings,
2 all 4 balljoints on knuckles
3 all 4 steering tie rod joints,
4 both front brake drums (originals badly worn from running with
shot wheel bearings)
5 all 4 front brake cylinders,
6 all cv joint rubbers,
7 Electric motor for fan,
8 Rear axle complete with hubs, (splines worn away on both axle
and hubs),
9 Exhaust muffler.

Some welding required to the front end frame as it appears to have been stored in a very wet environment.
We have been able to source items 1 to 7 and are waiting to see what else is needed before we buy anything else.

Looks like this is going to take a while!.
Bluezulu49

See less See more
#9 ·
Thanks for the welcome _Wilson_. My son checked out my post when he got home from work and spotted the typo. This was 9 hours after I posted so I was unable to edit the original post.

Welcome to the forums :)

You say it has been stored in a wet environment... Sounds like Ireland to me haha

Excuse my poor humour, im based in the UK near Southampton and have several parts you may need. I have used items but in could working order, all front brake components, a complete exhaust system and a cooling fan.

For other aftermarket parts you could try ‘quadbikeswales’.

EDIT: My father may have a complete rear end (axle) in good working order, I’d have to speak with him to confirm though.
Hi SamUK Thanks for your offer of parts. Unfortunately my son has been very impatient and I have already sourced and he has paid for the last two items on our list above.
Looking at the alloy of the front of the drive train it would not surprise me if the quad had been parked in standing water.

Last evening we inspected the rear axle case to see if the oil had been changed as we had been told and found to our horror that it was full of clean red grease. There is a great deal of play in the rear axle and I suspect grease was used to mask leaks.
Hopefully my son will learn from this that if you buy something "as seen" you should bring someone with experience and good eyes.

#4 ·
Welcome to the forums :)

You say it has been stored in a wet environment... Sounds like Ireland to me haha

Excuse my poor humour, im based in the UK near Southampton and have several parts you may need. I have used items but in could working order, all front brake components, a complete exhaust system and a cooling fan.

For other aftermarket parts you could try ‘quadbikeswales’.

EDIT: My father may have a complete rear end (axle) in good working order, I’d have to speak with him to confirm though.

#13 ·
Many thanks for all your messages. I set up a reply yesterday which I attempted to post and got a message that the post needed to be approved. It has not appeared in the forum. I see I have some notifications and found the attached. Just wondering if I have done something incorrectly as my post seems to have been deleted.

Attachments

#14 ·
Hi everyone,

I am the son who bought said bike above, also new to this forum site. It has been an expensive learning curve so far, but I love the bike and working on it with my dad is very enjoyable as we both have a passion for working on mechanically propelled vehicles. There will no doubt be plenty of questions asked about various bits and bobs on our journey through the restoration and I look forward to hearing your thoughts as we progress. Picture attached is of the current progress.

Turbo Twister.

Attachments

#17 ·
Were those posts deleted today? I don't see any record of deletes anywhere in the recent posts list, so none were performed by a Mod. Only an Admin can delete posts without leaving a trail.

The first post in this thread by Bluezulu49 was flagged by software and went into the moderation queue on the 25th. I approved this thread though, as soon as I saw that it had landed in moderation. But I haven't noticed anything else going on since.... new threads getting flagged by software is a common occurrence here.

If any of you can provide more specific info, please do! Thanks guys, for the mention!

#18 ·
Not sure what’s happened if I’m honest, my internet speed is so poor I can’t access much, very annoying! I’ll attempt to PM you an image of my notifications that show deleted posts, that’s about all I can access at the moment.

Reactions: _Wilson_ and retro
#19 ·
Thanks retro... Ya deleted today .... I didn't show that image ^^^ till i got back on, and noticed my quotes and mentions.

Reactions: retro
#22 ·
I hope this works ( post I mean).

Hi guys,
My last post was a test to see if I could still post.

@ _Wilson_ thanks for the link regarding editing posts. My son spotted the typo in the date of the quad about nine hours after it was posted so I had no opportunity to correct it.

@ SamUK Not so wet here anymore. The quad was bought in Kilkenny which is not the wettest place in the country but there is extensive surface corrosion on all of the fasteners and on the front end of the frame. Turbo Twister ( my son) proposes to fix that with his welder.

Thank you for the offer of the parts. This refurb is progressing at a frightening ( to me) pace. I have sourced and my son has bought all of the items on the list in my first post and they are now starting to arrive here.

@ LedFTed. Usually Ireland is much wetter than England but it looks like global warming is having a big impact over here now as our weather is coming from the East instead of from the West and the damp rainy effect of the Gulf Stream.

@ TBRider, @ Jeepwm69 thanks for the welcome.

Now to the quad. As you can see from Turbo Twisters picture we have dismantled the front end and continue to look for further horrors. When we checked the oil level in the rear axle we found that there was none and that it was filled with red grease, presumably as grease would not leak through damaged seals.

I am very surprised to see that many parts for this vehicle are still available 21 years after it was made.

Turbo Twister and I look forward to learning from this forum and the project.

#25 ·
I have mentioned the deleted posts and other issues reported in this thread to the Admin. There is nothing that I can do to help because the site is broken for me too. So hang in there and see if they're willing to fix things. In the meantime, continue to backup your posts in a text editor as you have been doing... that problem has gone uncorrected for over a year now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.