Honda ATV Forum banner

2013 Rancher one way bearing and valve noise.

7K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  Jeepwm69 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, so I bought a 2013 rancher 420 a month or so. First ATV I've bought in years! Kinda excited to get one again. Figured I'm gonna spend some money and get one that hasn't been abused. Something that I dont have to work on.

So I went and picked up a 2013 rancher that was clean as a pin. Paid $3300 for it. Like 1500 miles on it. Test drive it around a subdivision.

Take it out on the first ride and I head down a hill and the thing takes off like a bat out of hell!! I've since done some reading and found the one way bearing needs to be replaced. I'm pissed to be honest.

How hard is this to do in your garage?
How much to just take it to a dealer.

Next question, the valves are loud! They stop ticking after 10 min of riding or so.

Is this common or do I need a valve adjustment?

#6 ·
To replace the on way bearing the front cover has to come off the motor and then you have to pull the centrifical clutch assembly off. It usually requires a puller, which you can get off ebay. To adjust the valves you have to pull the gas tank off to get to the top of the motor.
None of it is hard to do if you've done it before, but only you can decide if you are up to the job.
Best bet is to download a service manual and start reading.

#7 ·
Not a tough job, I will add however - do not buy aftermarket one way bearings off ebay. Buy a genuine oem from honda.

Ive had 2 fail from aftermarket suppliers.

Not a hard job to do, you might get a little overwelmed beings its your first time pulling it apart. Just take it slow, I found most centrifugal clutch drums will come off with a few taps from a brass hammer.

#8 ·
also, best way to do clutch work on these is to sit the bike up on its back rack. that way you don't have to change the oil and the bike is up to your level so your not laying on the ground.

it does help to remove the front fender when doing these jobs but its not required.

you'll need hondabond or a quality replacement. I use Permatex ultra grey, ultra black - or moto seal. all these work well. just put a light amount around the case when re-assembling. all too often I see guys putting way too much on when re-installing valve covers and case halves.

holler if you need any help.

#12 ·
So I'm looking to buy the manual. I see the genuine Honda repair manual and the clymer manual. Is there a advantage of one over the other? I would think the honda one would be better but I've used clymer manual in the past. They have tips and tricks in them sometimes instead of use this special tool only etc.

Thanks in advance guys.

#13 ·
I would definitely buy the OEM manual. Ive used clymers for various manufacturers and they just aren't the same quality as OEM.

As for the aftermarket brands, I cannot remember the names. just cheapies off ebay - This was years ago. I haven't touched a aftermarket since.

They are pricey but not worth taking apart twice.

#15 ·
Ok guys, so I got my manual in. Tonight I removed the front cover and the centrifugal clutch.

The book says the clutch should spin counterclockwise in the basket but not clockwise. I can spon it easy counterclockwise but can for the life of me spin it clockwise. Granted I'm only using my hands. Seems like with my hands it should be good.

But I remember riding it it would hold engine braking for a little ways down the hill before it would release and start flying down the hill.

Am I right in my logic that the bearing could still be bad just not totally failed?

I'm replacing the bearing for sure, just want to replace anything else while I'm in here if needed. Dont want to have to take this thing back apart.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
I think you are on to something in that the bearing may be bad even though you can't put enough beef on it by hand to make it spin. Do you have any way to put more force on it like using a strap wrench or something? If not, just replace the bearing like you planned and see how it works.

Also, to determine direction of rotation, you need to be looking at the clutch from the proper side, and there must be some information in the manual indicating which side of the clutch you are supposed to be looking at when determining direction of rotation.

#18 ·
Probably a stupid question. So I forgot to get the Honda bond sealant. Is something special about this stuff of will just any rtv sealant work? I'm a hour away from my nearest honda shop. I wanted the grey so it would look factory but other then that dont see the point. Thx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.