Honda ATV Forum banner

I ordered my 2018 Pioneer 1000 EPS yesterday. Heater options?

22K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  Redtape 
#1 ·
I been lurking around the forum for some time and threatening to purchase a Pioneer 1000 EPS. Well I finally wrote the check yesterday, and the 2018 machine will be delivered in a few weeks. I got the glass windshield, hard top and back, fabric doors, and Warn 4000 winch. I anxiously await delivery.

Although we'll use it primarily in the warmer months (Wisconsin), it would be great to be able to ride it occasionally in the winter. We do have a vast network or trails in Wisconsin, and many are open in the winter. I believe Honda wants over $1,100 for a installed heater, and I was wondering what alternatives might be available. I can't justify one of those professional type heaters that make the cab comfortable like an auto, and the complexity of installation would be beyond my ability or desire. I was wondering if anyone has tried anything a little simpler and cheaper. Like I said, I don't need it to have it tee shirt warm. I'm also a little concerned about the windshield fogging up and needing something to evaporate the condensation.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks..........

BTW, I was able to get the 2018 for just a few dollars more than they could get me a 2017. It was a definitely a no brainer to get the newer version machine. I don't know if ordering it on the last day of the month helped me or not.

See less See more
#2 ·
From what I've heard of the pioneer 1000's, a hot cab from engine heat is a problem....so, I would say you likely won't need a heater at all. You may need to figure out a mod to cool the cab down in warmer months.

I'd like to get one eventually, so let us know what you think about it. From what I've seen around here, the warm cab seems to be people's only complaint.

#3 ·
They have put a comfort kit on the 2018's to help with the heat, and the change is available (maybe free) on the 2017's. There was also a transmission issues on the 2017's caused by people not shifting into low with a heavy load. There is definitely a engineering change available for the 2017's free, and this change is incorporated in the 2018. I think the 2017 owners have a few years to take their machine to the dealer for the installation of the change. If I had bought a 2017 I would have used it several years before having the new trans installed. I do not think the trans issue is any reason not to buy the 2017 since they make the change without question.

I'll post my thoughts on the 2018 after having a chance to ride it. I also plan to buy an enclosed trailer to store and transport the machine. The plan is to put a side door on the trailer so I can open the Pioneer door in this opening and get in and out of a 6' wide trailer. It'll be tight, but the trailer manufacturer says it will pull much better than a 7' wide trailer. I'll also put in a very small door near the right front wheel to allow me to secure the machine to the trailer.

#5 ·
NOT sure how much power they draw, but they sell 12 volt cig lighter plug in heaters, they are mostly for defrosting windows or the likes(2 speed small fan blowers), but if wanted I guess you could try one or two, pointed at each other, seen some for about 50 bucks each or less, maybe if too much draw would pop a fuse on you before doing any damage, but your call?
they are MADE for in cars and truck use so, ? a BIG utv like a 100 should handle it i would think? simple cheap to add and remove, velcro to mount maybe if you want fast removal for summer use???

here are a whole bunch of 12 volt heaters of many types to look at

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...ter.TRS0&_nkw=12+volt+cig+heater&_sacat=73335

#6 ·
I have seen people pick up used S-10 heater cores and route/plumb them into the cab which works reasonably well and cheap. I'm confident you can find a few "homemade" videos with UTV's and heater cores. Do enjoy the unit and post a few pictures before all dirty, LOL...

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the heater input.

Now I have another wish. I thought I had a place to order a 2 inch receiver for the front of the 1000, but come to find out that it is only designed to work with a KFI winch. Since I have a Warn 4000 winch ordered they don't know if it'll work. In addition, Honda has one for the Pioneer 700, but not the 1000. What the heck?

I'll need to maneuver my enclosed trailer around a lot, and I figure the front receiver would sure be handy. Maybe I can wait for Honda to come out with one, but I'd sure like to solve the problem ASAP. Suggestions? I hate to cobble something together on a new machine.

I'll attempt to post some pictures when I get it home and the enclosed trailer gets made. I'm going to only use a 6' wide trailer with a door on the side (located strategically) so I can exit the Pioneer in the tight space. I'd rather pull the 6' wide trailer instead of a 7 footer. The trailer will also have a small door on the right front so I can tie it down. I hope to heck it all works as planned. I getting nervous with the $$ involved. LOL

#9 ·
KFI used the same WARN mounting bolt pattern (they are basically a copy of a Warn)...

Did you order the Honda WARN accessory winch or direct from Warn?

The worst case scenario would be that you might have to do some grinding if the KFI front receiver and the WARN mount plate interfere with each other... or order a KFI mount plate.

If running a winch on the 1000... you will really need to look installing a 2nd battery & battery isolator... the DCT transmission requires most of the available stock battery amps... when you go adding winches and other 12V accessories... it can make the tranny not want to shift properly. Luckily Honda made a spot for a 2nd battery under the hood... seems like they should have just went to a bigger battery from the get go!!!

#10 ·
I saw pics of a guy that had a couple 6" fans cut into the kick plate under the seat. They were reversible so in the summer he pulled cool air from cab into engine compartment and in the winter he reversed them and blows heated air into the cab. Said it worked extremely well.

#13 ·
I've finally taken delivery of my Pioneer 1000, and I've learned a few things already.

1. The fabric doors are fine, but there is a label that says they should be removed for towing. That's a pain, and I'll try to make
a work around solution.

2. The Pioneer 1000 doesn't fit in a 7' wide enclosed trailer even by ordering a custom road-side door (tried many different makes). I ended up with an aluminum, 7' X 12', open trailer with an hydraulic assist and a 2' gravel guard. This is a snap to load/unload, no ramps, and it is a better weight for my mid sized SUV to pull. They even suggested mud flaps on my vehicle - ugg.

It is a very peppy machine, and it handles well. I don't have much time at all running it yet. It does have a few complications that require familiarity with the owner's manual for sure. For example the seat belt much be fastened or it bucks like a wild horse with a hot poker up it's butt. The transmission warrants some reading of the manual too.

I've been reading the other posts with interest. What is a battery isolator, and what does one cost? I see the place they have provided for a second battery. My Warn 4,000 lb. winch is a Honda installed winch (I actually got them down a little on the price, but I'm sure they did alright even with the discount). The winch will not be used much I hope - just rescue. The fans at the base of the seat seems like a great idea if it can be done such that it doesn't look cobbled together. I will address the heat issue after I've had a little experience with the cab temps, and I sure appreciate all the comments and ideas.

I purchased a hard top, glass windscreen, hard rear cab, and the fabric doors. It is a big machine for sure, but I think it will be a joy on the trails. The paddle shift operates very easily, and I think it may add to the pleasure and functionality of the ride. You can even downshift when the trans is in automatic mode and the UTV is moving. Nice if you're coming to a steep hill.

BTW, the manual says that the cigarette lighter is not to be used as a plug for any type of heater

I'll post more after I've had the opportunity to run it through its paces. Meanwhile I'll continue to plow my Wisconsin snow with my 1996 Honda Foreman 400. LOL

#14 · (Edited)
Fabric door removal for towing?? Can't help but think that was written by a lawyer from another planet. I'd ignore that...

Congrats on the new machine. Sounds like you have a reasonable towing setup too.

#17 ·
guess they figured owners will haul them on open trailers ?, if this is the case ?, then freeway winds will rip them apart would be my guess :).

#15 ·
So far so good, glad your pleased with your new purchase. Don’t forget those all important pictures:)
The cigarette lighter socket would melt down with a heater plugged into it, heaters draw a lot of Amps. You’d be better off making a little wiring harness, fused with a relay. You could run most small aftermarket heaters that way.
We have a JCB UTV at work and that get quite hot inside, I could only ever imagine that a heater would be necessary to demist the windscreen.

#16 · (Edited)
Essex mfg sells underseat fan kits primarily for Kawasaki and Kubota. I talked to Dan about them today. I want to get one for my 06 Mule 3010 LATTV; they built my rig special like one of 500 and have cab heater kits that plumb into the radiator.
Essex Manufacturing, Inc.

#21 ·
I'll attempt to take some pictures next week after I get the trailer. I might as well take pictures of the whole rig before it gets dirty.

I am appreciative of all the input, and I'll look into a second battery with an isolator. I'll have to do a little research on the isolator to see where to buy and how to install. I'm sure is simple, but I'll look for some basic instructions which may be included with the isolator. Having an second battery can't be a bad idea - no pull cord like my Foreman. Besides, can you imagine what that battery would mean to someone stranded deep in the woods, far from a WalMart, with a bad battery? It would be nice to be able to bail someone out of a jam.

#22 ·
have you considered a charging pack ?, if need be, you could very easily move it from one place to another to jump start some one. just a thought :).

#23 ·
It would be great to have some details on that ingenious solution for the heater - sounds like a product opportunity for someone.

I have the Honda Warn winch mount to answer another question, and I have become aware of the need for a second battery. I sure wish Honda would have put in a larger battery like suggested - duh.

I am just getting around to mounting a rear DNR plate on the back on the UTV, and Honda sure didn't allow for that either. I guess I'll make a bracket to fasten over the muffler guard using the guard screws and mount the plate there. With the dump bed, this is a bit of a challenge. A modest amount of thought by Honda would have made this a lot easier too. My decals ended up on my doors which isn't too bad, but again a little thought on Honda's part would have been appreciated. Maybe I expect too much.

#25 ·
I am the original guy who asked about what heater to consider, but "Jeeown69" was right about the P1000-3 having a hot cab. I've ridden quite a few trails this summer, and the heat in the cab is indeed a problem. I happened to have a full Honda glass windshield with no venting which makes it even warmer. I am no longer considering a heater, and I'll wait until winter before even think about a heater. I have a feeling that the cab will be fairly comfortable w/o a heater with the fabric doors that I'll have on it.

Frankly I am surprised Honda hasn't come up with a venting solution to relieve the heat issue. They did come out with a heat shield of sorts, but it's a economical attempt to resolve a problem that needs more than a fireproof "piece of cardboard." IMHO The shield is standard on the 2018, and I think it's a free "fix" for older P1000's. The seat and your legs get uncomfortably hot as the machine is now even with the "heat shield." We stuff towels around the seats in an attempt to stop some of the heat from getting into the cab. It is not a minor problem. Hopefully in cold weather the problem may be a bit of an asset, but most of our riding is in the summer.

#26 ·
A friends dad bought a P1000 last year, not really sure if its a 16 or 17 though. My friend and i were riding it and i noticed that the heat in the cab was terrible. My buddy mentioned that Honda had a cover or something that is supposed to block the heat. When they brough it in for the post break in service the cover was installed. Ive only rode in it once for a short time since the cover was installed and to me i think it helped alot, quieted the cab down some too. Dont get me wrong you still feel heat but not nearly as much as you did before.

Ive never really looked into it but could there be a aftermarket company that makes a heat shield or something?

You could maybe even try putting some of this on the cover.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Tec-1..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=7448DDPSVQE0TGHYQRKT

Wayne

#27 ·
I know this was last addressed 12 months ago but I had to say ... a HEATER? You are taking all the fun out of it. Did grandma and grandpa on their horse and buggy have a heater? No? Do sleigh rides have a heater? No.

I'm glad to hear to decided against the heater.

But. A heat problem. First, take off the doors. I don't think we have winters here like Wisconsin, but I have never seen a side by side here with doors. The whole idea of the thing is ... getting out into nature, and that includes the heat or cold of it.

As to this heat problem, I think it would be solved in the summer if you simply took off the doors. They have a windshield that opens also. I have a neighbor with a 1000. I'll have to ask him about this heat problem.

My neighbor had let me drive his 1000 and it was immense fun, but he has no doors and it ran up the mountain and into the snow real nice. So I know you will be happy with that machine.
dc

#28 ·
I have a 2018 P1000-3, and I also thought about a heater until I rode in it for awhile. In the summer with the doors on you can't hardly take the heat - I mean hot. You can do a few simple things, and some slightly more complex solutions. The first thing I did was to buy a roll of 1/2" form rubber (from Amazon) with foil backing and made a barrier under the seat the best I could, and that helps quite a bit. Then I bought some Styrofoam pipe insulation material, cut it in half, and pushed it behind the seats. Removing the doors (easy on/off) in a major factor in getting the heat under control I have a full, glass windshield (big mistake) since it won't open. Replacing the windshield may the ultimate solution for me. I also have the cloth uppers on the doors which is naturally the first thing to remove in warmer weather. A lot of guys install a fan (not expensive at all) in the engine compartment, and they say it helps too.

Yes, you can buy a heat shield or make it yourself. You can make it for about $25, and it will be imminently better than the heat shield that was installed by the dealer for your friend. If you make it, just remove the seat, roll out the insulation, and start cutting the general shape. Cut slots for the seat latches, and refine it once you've put the seat back on. I put the seat back on and drew lines to cut on the insulation with a felt marker. It doesn't take long at all, and it does help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.