Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires Trying to upgrade the stock Wheels or Tires on your ATV? Post here! Fitment questions, sizes, brands, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member #3442
View rancher11's Photo Gallery(0)
back tries leak

ok, the rear tires, both of them, leak after riding on them for a while. the front tires are fine but the back tires leak only when riding the wheeler. they hold air fine until, like i said i ride on them for about 2 mins. the problem occured for both of them at the same time. i have access to a tire changer, i was thinking of breaking the bead then sealing it again. i dont want to use slim unless i absoluetly have to. do you guys think derimming the tire, cleaning the rim then the rimming it again will solve the problem?

Teddy Roosevelt once said "if you live in america learn to speak english and be american"
rancher11 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 10-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member #4849
View sphill's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancher11 View Post
ok, the rear tires, both of them, leak after riding on them for a while. the front tires are fine but the back tires leak only when riding the wheeler. they hold air fine until, like i said i ride on them for about 2 mins. the problem occured for both of them at the same time. i have access to a tire changer, i was thinking of breaking the bead then sealing it again. i dont want to use slim unless i absoluetly have to. do you guys think derimming the tire, cleaning the rim then the rimming it again will solve the problem?
It's certainly worth a try.
sphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member #3442
yeah, i mean, i had the thing sitting in my garage for 2 weeks with out riding it and they held air fine,the minute i ride it, the leak. i think its leaking around the bead

Teddy Roosevelt once said "if you live in america learn to speak english and be american"
Old 10-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 10 times
I would try it. BTW, I don't think slime will seal a bead leak too good. On the slime website, they say it won't. They say it's only meant to seal the tread area of the tire and not the sidewalls or beads.

That Fix-A-Lat sealer might seal the bead, but I would try to avoid that if possible. It makes a mess on the inside of the tire. I would try resealing it like you mentioned. Wire brush the rim good and clean the tire bead good. If the rim still looks bad after wire brushing it, I would try to find some bead sealer to brush on the tire bead.

Also, make sure the valve stems aren't leaking while you're at it.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member #3442
yeah, thats what i was planningon doing, wire bruch it good, the seal it back up

Old 10-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member #2893
View Red-Rider's Photo Gallery(0)
Have you found the leak? spray some glass cleaner, or use a soap solution all over the tire and look for the bubbles.
Red-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member #3442
ive done that about 5 times now. no leaks. ive gone over the tires numerous times with soapy water and glass cleaner. i did not see any bubbles

also one last thing, when doing an oil change, i got the oil and filter, should i have gotten the crush washer and gasket for the underneath? they honda dealer asked me, i didnt buy it, should i have?

Old 10-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 10 times
Quote:
also one last thing, when doing an oil change, i got the oil and filter, should i have gotten the crush washer and gasket for the underneath? they honda dealer asked me, i didnt buy it, should i have?
I usually don't change it and I've never had any problems, just be careful not to over tighten the drain plug and strip it.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member #3442
yeah thats what i thought, i wont over tighten it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Search tags for this page

4 wheeler tire bead leaks

4 wheeler tire leak repair

4 wheeler tire leaking around bead

4 wheeler tire leaking around rim

4 wheeler tires wont hold air

4 wneller tire leeking around the rim

atv bead leak

atv bead sealer

atv tire bead leak

four wheeler tires wont seal bead

how to fix leaking atv tires

how to seal a leaking atv tire

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.