Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires Trying to upgrade the stock Wheels or Tires on your ATV? Post here! Fitment questions, sizes, brands, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #27007
View KneverKnew's Photo Gallery(0)
Question Proper tires for white "sugar" sand on river banks

Newby here to the forum. I have a 2004 Rancher AT 400 that I bought used two years ago. It came with TSL-ATV Super Swamper Vampire 25x9.5-12 FRONT TIRES, and Super Swamper Vampire 26x2.00-11 REAR TIRES installed. I live on the banks of the Ocklockonee River in Florida and I have a huge white "Powdered Sugar" sand bar along my river front. I purchased the Rancher for the specific purpose of being able to hitch up my John Boat Trailer and launch my boat right in front of my house when needed, instead of having to drive two miles to the nearest boat ramp. I also use the Rancher for yard work and other odd jobs around the property, as well as riding woods trails but not very often. The main purpose is use on the river bank. So far the Vampires have done a pretty good job dealing with the powdered river sand, but when the sand is really dry and deep (out away from the rivers edge) they tend to spin and dig in if I don't keep moving, especially when pulling the boat and trailer, which has those small trailer tires that act like plow disks. I've been tempted to put larger ATV type tires on my trailer just for that reason, but then it would not be safe for highway travel.
Anyway, my Vamps are starting to show signs of dryrot, and are loosing air pressure. I'm looking into getting new tires to fit the existing wheel rims, but may consider a different brand, mainly due to the cost of new Vamps, as well as other reviews I've been reading about other tires that do better in white powder sand, especially when pulling a heavy load such as a boat and trailer through the sand. Does anyone have suggestions as to the best tires up to my specific challenge? I'd be glad to hear anyone's experience in this type of situation with various tires. I've read that I shouldn't go over 27" with front or rear tires, but I'm afraid I'm stuck with what I have. Can't afford to buy new rims as well as tires. Thanks.

Last edited by KneverKnew; 12-12-2012 at 01:08 PM.
KneverKnew is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 12-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member #22125
View rlfoulch's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 3 times
welcome to da forum from the crossroads of texas. i dont deal with much sand but im sure that the bighorns would do great. also look into the gbc gators and Spartacus.

gone but never forgotten E.T. (90 fourtrax300fw)

94 sportster with andrews n4 cams hc pistons p&p heads drag pipes under drive pulleys

2010 Colorado 4 door 2wd

2013 recon es 23-8.50-12 front and 23-10.5-12deestone suretrack on hd3 wheels (her bike)
rlfoulch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #12230
View jcooperpcola's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 47 times
I second the Bighorns. My Vamps tend to dig down and spin when I move my 20' boat around the yard. My stock tires did not do that. Your 11" wheels really limit you. You might try finding a set of 12" rear wheels.
Mudbuster Cam
Port Polished Head
Dynatek CDI/Coil
Wiseco 11:1 piston
FMF Powerline exhaust
Custom full 2" snorkel
Spool Locker
Rad Relo
Badlands 3500 Winch
Dual 4" Cree Led bars
Rhino Axles
Ross White plastics
jcooperpcola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member #27007
View KneverKnew's Photo Gallery(0)
May be my son wrote the specs for the tires down backwards. Guess I should have checked. The rear tires are much larger than the front.
I've also read good things about mudlites? Or something lutes anyway. They are said to do well in sand.
KneverKnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #11269
View Dan G's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 5 times
Any type of mud tire is going to dig down on ya in that type of situation unfortunately, be it swamp lites, mud lites, tsls, zillas, executioners, bear claws, etc. You best bet is something with a fairly non-aggressive tread, or something that is going to paddle and stay on top. You need flotation, so stock tires with a soft side wall that will allow you to let out some air and get a wider foot print would actually be ideal. Another tire I've ran in the sand that preforms decent on the trails are "wooly boogers". Have a set of 25-13-12's in my garage waiting to be used on something... Awesome snow tires for a sport quad btw...
Attached Thumbnails
Proper tires for white "sugar" sand on river banks-wooley-booger.jpg  
Old 12-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member #4493
View jkhuntin's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1 times
The mudlites are not a good choice if you are going to be riding in alot of sand, they will do the same thing that your vamps do. And welcome from the Volunteer state.
27" mudlites, ITP SS212's
710 BBK and hot cams mudbuster
HMF Utility series slip on pipe
Mud bike

2004 Rancher 400AT
Bone stock
Hunting and trail bike.

2013 Rancher 420 AT.
jkhuntin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #417
View TRX2fiveO's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 51 times
Stock balloony tires with the air pressure dropped to about 3psi
07 Suzuki LTZ250 (Sons)
00 TRX350TM 4X2 (Resale bike)
01 TRX250EX (TLC Needed)
74' CB360 (future FrankenQuad)
Work in progress

JETTING

MOOSE_WAGON_makeover

2000_Rancher_build
TRX2fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #14099
View slincolnn's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1 times
I my opinion stock bald tires do a great job in the sand.
03 recon
slincolnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
View Deeperinthabush's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
Welcome to da forums...:icon_ devil Stock tires with 1 lb of air will work best unless you're willing to fork out for paddle type tires which require wheel speed to propel an atv along decently... You can look for a used set of stock take off on Craigslist,and prolly get a set half wore out on oem Honda sra 12" wheels for 100-150 bux max which you can air down to 1-1.5 psi for maximum flotation in sand,but I wouldn't go up any larger than a 25-26" in tire sizes due to the low power of the 400at..Vamps are a heavy power robbing tire btw...Adding wider wheels,wider tires,and airing them down to low pressures, to the trailer will help it to float across the sand much better,and ease the pressure off the atv making its job much simpler,simply air them back up for road trips....
FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html
Deeperinthabush is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Search tags for this page
atv tire for pulling through sand

best atv tire for river riding

best sand tyres boat

boat trailer for sand

boat trailer sand tires

boat trailer tires for sand

quad tires for sugar sand

sand tires rancher

sugar sand atv tires

tires good for sand on boat trailers
what tires work best in sand river

will a 25-10-12 atv tire fit on a 25-13-12 wheel

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.