Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member #8773
View dovako's Photo Gallery(0)
1986 trx 350

Hi, I have a 86 trx 350 (since new) It has been great. Last summer it just stopped running. Replaced the plug, fuel filter, and fuel pump. Seems to have decent spark, although I am no mechanic. It does seem to want to pop (fire) a little bit while cranking but it is not a typical pop (very weak). If it is the cdi or pulse generator that is bad, would there be any spark at all? The carb was rebuilt a couple of years ago so it could be this, but that is not my first guess. How about a timing issue. Any suggestions please. With my work situation,I would love to try to fix it myself as opposed to bringing it in.
THANK YOU!!
dovako is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 02-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member #2063
View Fourtrax's Photo Gallery(0)
Welcome to the forums! I would say maybe carb needs cleaned, but Shadetree is the resident 350 guru, he'll be around shortly to help you out.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
Welcome to the forums. If it has a good strong, bright blue spark at the sparkplug, I would look for a fuel/carb problem. Check your fuel pump fuse and if it's good, pull the fuel line off the carb and see if the fuel pump is pumping.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member #7607
View Manny's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 5 times
have you had your valves checked? they may be out of adjustment as well. if it hasnt been done, while your cleaning the carburetor i would check your valve clearance
Old 02-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member #8773
Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I will check the spark again to see if it is bright blue. (I recall a lighter (white?) spark, not blue.) I have never had the valves checked. Is this something that I can do myself? The fuel pump is pumping fine. I will not be able to look at it again for a couple of days to check out all your ideas, but will asap. Any other possibilities? Thanks again You guys are great!
Old 02-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Here's something else you can try. Remove the sparkplug and pour a Pepsi bottle cap or two of gas down into the cylinder. One capful is probably enough, but you will likely spill some trying to pour it into the sparkplug hole, so it may take two. Quickly, put the sparkplug back in and put the sparkplug wire back on and see if it will start for a second or two. If it does, and your fuel pump is pumping good, you will need to remove the carb and give it a good cleaning. You can also put some gas in a spray bottle and spray it into the back of the carb and get the same results.

Also, it's not too hard to check and adjust the valve clearance.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
When checking and/or adjusting valve clearance, make sure the engine is completely cold and make sure you have the piston on TDC on the compression stroke and not TDC on the exhaust stroke.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #8773
HI, I just checked the plug again. It does have a blue spark, but not what I would call strong. Maybe that is just me. I poured gas in the piston. It did pop more frequently, but not what I would consider a strong pop. It did pop more when I pumped the gas and then let off the throttle. I won't be able to check the valves for a couple of days though. I am not quite sure that I am qualified to do that, but will try. Thaks,guys
Old 02-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 205 times
how's the compression ?..it takes alot more psi to get these old gals running than a trx300..these bikes call for 178-206 psi to run good..if you don't have this...your rings are worn too much.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page

1986 honda fourtrax 350 spark plug gap

1986 honda trx 350 valve adjustment

1986 honda trx350 valve clearance

1986 trx 350 valve clearance

1986 trx350 valve clearance

1988 honda foreman trx350d valve adjustment

86 honda trx 350 piston size

87 trx350 valve clearance

88 honda foreman 350 valve adjustment

how to adjust valve on 86 honda 350 trx

what is the valve adjustment on a 1986 honda trx 350 4x4

what is the valve clearance on 1988 honda 350 foreman

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.