Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #2401
View kawa11@ptd.net's Photo Gallery(0)
blue smoke when 1st start???

are the valve seals shot? it only smokes when I first start it once its warmed up it goes away. runs great has tons of compression if the valves need to be adjusted will that make it smoke? because I know they need to be adjusted the guy I bought it off of only rode it never had a valve adjustment since 2001? there is around 200 hrs on the bike? maybe some restore or prolong would help it a little?
2007 400ex amr rev box,white bo. shorty slip on,pro taper bars trackside handguards durablue +4 axle, DG front bumper,pro armor tether swtch,uni air filter,jetted carb,diamond plate underskid, front wheel spacers,
kawa11@ptd.net is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 02-24-2011, 05:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 91 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa11@ptd.net View Post
are the valve seals shot? it only smokes when I first start it once its warmed up it goes away. runs great has tons of compression if the valves need to be adjusted will that make it smoke? because I know they need to be adjusted the guy I bought it off of only rode it never had a valve adjustment since 2001? there is around 200 hrs on the bike? maybe some restore or prolong would help it a little?
what does the smoke smell like ??..oil and gas has two different smells to them..if it's oil..then your valve guide seals are bad..or oil rings are bad. if it's from gas not burning..it's from running too rich.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 10 times
I agree with Shadetree and also, valves needing adjustment won't cause it to smoke.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member #2401
no it smells like oil? and its blue but it goes away once its warmed up? so its most likely gonna need valve seals? it wont hurt it running it with bad seals will it? its not like it smokes all the time. I dont want to have to pull the head off just for valve seals the bike runs 100% other than that.
2007 400ex amr rev box,white bo. shorty slip on,pro taper bars trackside handguards durablue +4 axle, DG front bumper,pro armor tether swtch,uni air filter,jetted carb,diamond plate underskid, front wheel spacers,
Old 02-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
no it smells like oil? and its blue but it goes away once its warmed up? so its most likely gonna need valve seals? it wont hurt it running it with bad seals will it? its not like it smokes all the time. I dont want to have to pull the head off just for valve seals the bike runs 100% other than that.
Yeah, it's probably the valve stem seals, but no way to know for sure other than changing them. If you change them and it still smokes, the problem will be the rings.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member #2401
if It was the rings would'nt it smoke all the time? and not run to good? this bike runs great I have an 07 and it runs right with it. like I said only smokes for the first min when I start it in the morning?
Old 02-24-2011, 06:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
if It was the rings would'nt it smoke all the time? and not run to good? this bike runs great I have an 07 and it runs right with it. like I said only smokes for the first min when I start it in the morning?
Generally, if it's the rings, it would smoke all the time, but that don't mean it would run bad. I've seen them drink oil and still run great. The oil ring can be bad or broken and the compression rings still be good.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #2401
ok I didn't know that? well I will run it until it starts getting bad I guess I only paid 1500 bucks for the quad so i'm gonna run it for a while and see what happens. is there anyway I can replace the valve seals without pulling off the head? its alot of work just to replace 4 seals.

Last edited by kawa11@ptd.net; 02-24-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
ok I didn't know that? well I will run it until it starts getting bad I guess I only paid 1500 bucks for the quad so i'm gonna run it for a while and see what happens. is there anyway I can replace the valve seals without pulling off the head? its alot of work just to replace 4 seals.
nope..no way of replacing the valve guide seals without pulling head off..and if your gonna do that..you may as well go ahead and replace your rings..kill two birds with one stone.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
and you will need a valve spring compresser to remove the valve springs..in order to replace the valve guide seals

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page
4 wheeler starting to smoke

400ex smokes on startup

atv blue smoke at start up

atv smokes at startup

atv smokes when first started

atv smokes when started

blue smoke when starting the 4 wheeler
can loose valves make your 4 wheeler smoke
how long to change valve seals on 2002 400 ex

what would make a atv smoke

will it hurt to run a 4 wheeler if it needs valve seals
would it hurt to ride a four wheeler if its smoking and smells like oil
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.