Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 11:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member #1508
View ccook123's Photo Gallery(0)
honda fourtrax 300 carb problems

My 300 fourtrax is having to be choked to start and choked to stay running, and once I push the throttle it dies almost every time, and when it doesn't die it seems to be quite delayed in its response, like I let off of the gas and it is still obviously getting gas for a few seconds.

I just installed a carb rebuild kit, drained the gas, put an inline fuel filter on and a new air filter and I am getting the exact same results.

after searching through the forum I've come across two things that caught my attention. @ http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...uote=1&p=71158 shadetree talks about the premier being torn up on the carb can cause a vacuum leak.

[QUOTE
Originally Posted by MONSTER
i used a aresal carb cleanerim posative i got all the o-rings out before hand one thing i realized last night when i was working on it the rubber part on the priemer was all crumbled i think i need to rebuild that as well
yes..rebuild that..it will not only cause a fuel leak ( just done one of those )..but it will cause a vaccum leak..in other words..your carb won't draw fuel from your bowl right..lol.][/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure (not at home right now) that the rubber part on mine does have a small hole in it, and I recall the premier not really having any sponginess to it when I pushed it. Can I somehow rig this to test it? like wrap it tight with electrical tape just to test before I buy the $90 replacement kit for the premier

Another thing that caught my eye was the 2 1/2 counter-clockwise turns from being tight on the idle jet, I need to adjust mine because I know mine is not adjusted this precisely, could this cause the atv to die when not choked?
ccook123 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 02-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member #2063
View Fourtrax's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccook123 View Post

[QUOTE
Originally Posted by MONSTER
i used a aresal carb cleanerim posative i got all the o-rings out before hand one thing i realized last night when i was working on it the rubber part on the priemer was all crumbled i think i need to rebuild that as well
yes..rebuild that..it will not only cause a fuel leak ( just done one of those )..but it will cause a vaccum leak..in other words..your carb won't draw fuel from your bowl right..lol.]
[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you could have possibly comprehended from that post. HAHAHAH!

Welcome to the forums! and it sounds like you are on the right track though. a vacuum leak could cause your problem especially since the throttle valve is vacuum controlled its not hooked directly to the cable.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 10 times
Welcome to the forums. When you installed the carb kit, did you blow out all the passageways in the carb body and adjust the pilot screw? Sounds like you have some debris in the pilot circuit, to me.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member #1508
which one is the pilot screw?
Old 02-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
which one is the pilot screw?
The pilot screw is located between the carb bowl and the intake, up under the bottom of the carb. Turn the pilot screw clockwise until it's lightly seated and turn it back out 2 1/4 turns. This is your initial setting. Start the ATV and run it until it warms up to operating temp. Now, turn the pilot screw clockwise until the engine starts missing or trying to quit. Then, turn the pilot screw counterclockwise until the engine starts missing or trying to quit. Finally, center the pilot screw in between those two positions.

Click the image to open in full size.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member #1508
Thanks, I will do that tonight when I get home and post results.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Thanks, I will do that tonight when I get home and post results.
You're welcome. If that doesn't help, your carb probably needs cleaning good. It's easy to miss something in a carb. Sometimes, you have to clean them a couple times to get them right.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #5989
View fourtrax319's Photo Gallery(0)
on the 300 fourtrax screw it in all the way,go 2 and 1/2 turns out,be sure to count the turns.it helped me greatly
fourtrax319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member #1508
When you say all the way in, will it be obvious that it can't go any further? Want to make sure I don't over tighten it.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 91 times
Quote:
When you say all the way in, will it be obvious that it can't go any further? Want to make sure I don't over tighten it.
do not over tighten the needle..or it will break off in the carb..then your..well..pilot needle screwed !..lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page
1988 honda 300 fourtrax problems
honda 300 atv carburetor

honda 300 fourtrax carb adjustment

honda 300 fourtrax carb problems

honda 300 fourtrax carburetor

honda 300 fourtrax carburetor kit
honda fourtrax 300 carburetor

honda fourtrax 300 carburetor diagram

honda fourtrax 300 carburetor kit
honda fourtrax carburetor diagram
honda fourtrax carburetor problems

how to adjust carburetor on honda 300 fourtrax

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.