Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #8297
View hermiehunter's Photo Gallery(0)
Rancher 420 Differential Oils?

Can someone please explain to me how/where to check & drain my front and rear differentials on my 2007 Rancher.

I opened the top plug on the rear diff. and couldn't see/feel any oil, but I read online somewhere that the top plug is for filling and there's another plug for checking and another for draining...is this correct?

How about the front diff.? And I suppose any 90 weight gear oil would be fine in them, correct?
hermiehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 02-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 8 times
Yeah, the rear diff has a check bolt on the left side of the diff, down near the bottom. Take the check bolt out and fill through the top oil fill cap, until the gear oil is up to the bottom of the check bolt hole. The drain for the rear diff is on the bottom, right side under the skid plate.

The front diff is different. The oil fill cap is down lower on the side of the diff. On the front diff, just pour the gear oil in the oil fill hole and when it comes up to the bottom of the hole, it's full. Of course, the drain plug is on the bottom of the front diff, as well.

Both diffs use hypoid SAE#80 gear oil, any brand will be fine.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #8751
View kenbarls's Photo Gallery(0)
I agree with Helmut(Super Moderator). I also check bolt out and fill the used differentials through the top oil fill cap, until the gear oil is up to the bottom of the check bolt hole. It is similar on what Helmut stated.

Last edited by kenbarls; 03-04-2011 at 11:27 AM.
kenbarls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member #8124
View Ballast's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 6 times
Honda calls for Hypoid gear oil. I don't know what the difference between regular gear oil and "Hypoid" is but that's what I use, Honda stuff

Two 06 TRX250EXs.....Tusk nerf bars, swing arm skid plates
85 TRX125.... sadly sold

Haliburton ATV Association - come check out our 1000 miles of trails www.haliburtonatv.com
Ballast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 8 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballast View Post
Honda calls for Hypoid gear oil. I don't know what the difference between regular gear oil and "Hypoid" is but that's what I use, Honda stuff
Yeah, "hypoid" gear oil should be used. It's designed to hold up better in differentials that contain hypoid gears, such as ring and pinion gears. Doesn't really matter what brand it is though.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page

can i use a gl gear lubricant in my 420 rancher differential

checking differential fluid level honda rancher 420
gear oil capacity 2001 honda rancher

gear oil for honda rancher

gear oil for honda rancher 420

honda 420 gear oil

honda rancher 420 diff oil

honda rancher 420 rear diff oil weight

honda rancher gear oil

how much gear oil does a honda rancher 420 take
how much rear differential fluid do u put in a 420 rancher

what gear oil is recommand for front differentail rancher 420

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.