Honda ATV Forum banner

1998 450S timing chain diagnosis, good? Bad?

7K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  b52bombardier1 
#1 ·
Hi all, I have been reading alot on this forum and finally subscribedecided, lots of great info. I recently purchased a 98 foreman s. This machine starts right up and idles smooth as can be. I noticed a ticking rattling issue though. Machine has 3400 miles on it. It's not very loud but definitely noticeable. I adjusted the valve clearance, didn't fix it. Opon further research I was pretty confidant on it being a timing chain. I removed the front cover to have a look. To me it doesn't seem that loose, but I've never delt with one. Should it be replaced? Would this be the issue? Thanks alot folks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum!
By my novice eye, it looks fine. More experienced voices will chime in.
Do you know anyone with the same ATV? Listen to theirs, and see if the sound you are hearing is typical, or atypical?
You could also video it running, with a focus on getting good audio, and post it here for experienced ears to listen?

#4 ·
Check you tensioner and see if they need to be replaced (If you don't know what those are they are those black things rubbing on the timing chain to keep it tight.) If you can wiggle that chain around then you probably need a tensioner or a chain. Good luck. Hope this helps.
Cameron

#6 ·
cam chain looks ok to me ?, but why is the centrifugal clutch have rust on it ?, has this been sunk in the past ??.

#7 ·
Shadetree that is a good question. I bought it from an elderly farmer who used to to feed his animals. There was alot of mud packed up underneath but otherwise I really don't know much about the history. Any ideas of what the noise could be? Other than this the machine runs smooth as brand new, doesn't smoke, doesn't sputter, this is its only issue

#8 ·
Did it sit for long periods? Where the oil/film could drain, and condensation and humidity could cause corrosion? If so, perhaps there's rust in other places, and that's contributing to the noise? There shouldn't be rust in there; because there is, I would be concerned.

#10 ·
Somebody around here recently mentioned cam decompressor noise. Does the cam in your bike have a decompression mechanism?

Rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.