Honda ATV Forum banner

Rancher 420 Won't start.

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Ranchero 
#1 ·
Okay so last night I bought a 2012 rancher 420 fpm. I got there, started it and drove it around. It did good. Loaded it on truck, drove 4 hours home....Started it let it warm up while I removed straps. It idled the whole time. Rolled it off truck in nuetral just bc, put it in gear to go park it. I rolled about 5 feet before it died. Then it would only start back up if I blipped the throttle. I left it over night. Went back out this morning, started it, it idled fine for 5 or so minutes, then shut off. No codes are thrown...i don't know a thing about efi...I need help.

#3 ·
No sir, half tank full

#4 ·
is this the same 2012 trx420 rancher in your signature ?, if so ?, i'd be worried about all that after market parts on it. spec the big gun power box ?, anytime you add after market parts to a oem machine ?, your just adding trouble to happen.

#5 ·
I unplugged the fuel programmer so it would run stock MAP and it still would not start .

#7 · (Edited)
Fuel pump works. Took spark plug out and grounded it to head, it has spark. Was getting fuel through to combustion chamber bc atomized fuel coming out of spark plug hole while testing spark plug ...

The battery finally ran dead while I was trying to crank it, so I hooked it to my car and it started immediately the first time I hit the button. I unhooked it and let it run for a little while. Then I cut it off, and when I cut the key back in nothing happened. Determined POS battery cable wasn't making good connection, cleaned connections and it started running again perfect. Drove it around a little, then cut it off to go eat lunch. came back and now it is doing the same thing it was doing earlier.

#8 ·
Put a good quality multimeter on the battery posts with the bike running. Give us the measurements for both DC volts and AC volts at maybe half throttle. Don't count on any old cheap Harbor Freight meter to accurately measure AC volts. It needs to be a good 25 dollar-ish meter here for an accurate AC volts measurement.

Rick

#10 ·
I actually found the problem ... spark plug. I borrowed a spark plug out of a 2015 420 and mine started right up . I'm taking the spark plug I bought yesterday back later. I've got another problem now lol. I drained the oil, only about 8 ounces came out, and of that, 5 of those ounces was water. Time to flush the motor many, many times.

#11 ·
Guy I bought it from must have not known what "maintenance" is.

#12 ·
Or anything about what to do when you sink a bike for that matter.

#14 ·
negative. He said he had changed the oil after the last ride he went on and it hasn't done anything but sit in his shed since . I knew when I bought it, it had been sunk a time or two before and burned oil... but I wasn't worried about it because I got it at such a good price.

#15 ·
I could actually part it out and make twice what I paid for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.