Honda ATV Forum banner

2016 Honda rancher 420 shift issues

28K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  Kmaher17 
#1 ·
4x4 foot shift. 20 hours and about 64 miles. Won't shift into neutral and gear shows "-". Just started a day ago, been running fine. Sometimes there was sluggish shift during break in period. Bought brand new. Any help appreciated! Thanks

#3 ·
I thought it was only the ES model that did that! First time it happened, I had about 50 miles on the quad and thought I was stuck out in nowhere. I turned it off and on, bumped it, pushed it, hit all the switches. Thought I was stuck. I think it was just turning it on and off that finally got it in gear.

It has happened once or twice since then. Now I don't worry about it, turn it off, turn it on, eventually it gets into gear, within a minute.

#5 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. Not sure if it's still under warranty, going to check today as well as reach out to the dealer. I've had it for almost a year maybe longer so it might be. In some research I've seen people talk about replacing the oil in the gear motor because the factory grease oil supposedly gunks up.

#6 ·
In some research I've seen people talk about replacing the oil in the gear motor because the factory grease oil supposedly gunks up.
That pertains to the Electric Shift "ES" models or the DCT models. Do you have a foot shift or an electric shift?

#7 ·
It's a foot shift. Yea that's what I read in more research (this is common on ES models, but only read a few people having issues with foot shift) so I'm a bit puzzled and also worried I may have other underlying issues like with the auto-clutch or something. Unfortunately my wheeler isn't under warranty anymore. Just passed a year and I didn't buy the extended. At least I'm assuming factory warranty is only 1 year like anything else.

#9 ·
Thanks but that doesn't seem to work. Tried that. Attempted to adjust the clutch too. Didn't seem to make a difference. I can only shift from 1st to 2nd then back down to first. Won't go above 2nd. It won't stay in neutral either just goes "-". Also I noticed the GEAR light isn't on anymore. So I agree it's definitely between gears. Again I appreciate everyone's input. This is so frustrating on a brand new wheeler!

#10 ·
I assume, you have a electronic shift (ES) model? I too have a ES model and know from experience the battery must be fully charged for the ES to work properly, so you might try charging it overnight on a trickle charger and see how it works the following day.

#16 ·
I'll try charging the battery too. Can't hurt! I highly enjoy the foot shift. That's what I had on my 07 rancher. Update, been doing some tweaking of the clutch further and it has helped a little, but still some issues remain. Thanks again for everyone's input. Helps my spirits through this troubleshooting!

#20 ·
Unfortunately for me the wheeler isn't under warranty anymore. From what I've been able to diagnose and research I'm thinking the clutch plates are locked up. Clutch adjustment helped as far as getting GEAR light back on and actual 'foot' feel for going into gear. But now it's pretty much just from N to 1 still shows "-". First thing I'm gonna do is drain the oil. Maybe I used crappy oil a few months ago when I did the oil change. I recall using Honda GN4 10-30w as specified. At this time it's cheaper to start there. :)

#23 ·
I would be surprised if clutch plates are an issue, unless the oil was a challenge and/or if running in high gear under heavy load, i.e., lugging along. Regardless, best of luck on the oil change and would suggest a high end oil for wet clutches following any adjustments.

#24 · (Edited)
Well low and behold oil change made a heck of a difference not cured but close. Oil was a bit cloudy but not that bad honestly. After oil change I did have to kind of hit it hard to break things free between gears BUT I can shift from N all the way up to 5th riding good! However I still can't get it to stick into N or get into reverse. My theory is I just haven't been able to get into reverse to break nuetral free. So I do think this is all clutch related. Going to dial back the clutch on more time and fingers crossed. Only thing I can put together is I have been hauling trees in a trailer and maybe I rode in 2nd too long binding up the clutch? I never go above 2nd when hauling and even then it's low speed still. Never had anything like this happen with my old wheeler and use this one the same way. Any how thanks again for everyone's input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.