Honda ATV Forum banner

rancher 420 starts, dies and then won't start for 30 mins

11K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Husky501 
#1 ·
2013 rancher 420 fuel injected

it will start, drive a bit, and then it dies and won't restart for about a half hour or so. doesn't matter if I pump the throttle or not...

I have replaced the fuel filter
the battery cables are tight
the gas cap doesn't have a vent hose anymore, it fell off somewhere. but I've tried it with the cap on and the cap off with no different behavior
it would still work without the hose right? just vents out the top?

when I blow in the top of the cap it does not go through, is it a one way valve in there? I don't wanna put my mouth on the inside, lol

spark plug is good

the fuel pump runs for about 2 seconds when I turn on the key and then shuts off, is that normal?

any other ideas?

#2 ·
next time it's dies ?, shoot a short burst of starting fluid to the air intake side of the throttle body, and see if it starts/cranks over ?, if it does ?, then this is a fuel issue, fuel is not getting to the throttle body. if it still does not crank over with starting fluid ?, then this is a electrical issue some where ?.

#4 ·
Hi shadetree. We're having same problem with 16 rancher 420 4x4. We've replaced the fuel pump relay, spark plug getting fire, fuel pump is pumping fuel, all fuses are good, sprayed carburetor cleaner in air intake, it hit but won't run. Now draining all fuel and putting in fresh. What do you think? Help please!