Honda ATV Forum banner

Winch Wiring / Solenoid

9K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Glynn863 
#1 ·
I am about to repair some winch wiring on a TRX300FW I got last month. Although most of the existing wiring is pieced together with twists and electrical tape, the winch works. During some other work, I found a solenoid under the left rear fender, attached by a rear carrier bolt. It looks similar to a Ford starter solenoid, but different in that there are 2 large lugs on either side, and only 1 small lug in between. The only wiring (single wire) is connected to the small lug, and is tied into the wiring harness near the battery. The label on the side is "CAMDEC 97226". Google shows it to be either a relay or battery isolator. What purpose does this solenoid serve in this wiring arrangement, and is it part of the winch wiring?

#2 ·
that operates the winch. the small red wire gives it 12 volts from the battery, the larger lugs goes to the winch to operate it in, and out. you should have a mini rocker switch ?, or a wired remote to operate the winch.

#3 ·
No other wires are connected to it, aside from the wire on the small lug. There is a winch control mounted on the front rack, with on/off switch. Perhaps a leftover from an earlier wiring arrangement? I am going to install a battery tomorrow and see if there is any power at the solenoid with and without ignition "on". I assume the solenoid is grounded by its mounting?

#4 ·
most have a black small wire to ground it. the large lugs should have large wires/cables going to the control mounted on rack, and from that to the winch, it's prob round, right ?, if so ?, under the bottom is 4 studs, two go to the winch, two go to that solenoid.

#5 ·
On my winch setup, that is the winch relay that protects the winch operating "in / out" switch contacts from excessive arcing and burning. Given that the winch motor consumes a lot of amps, that relay has heavy duty contacts that can handle the arcing and pitting abuse that the smaller operating switch contacts can't handle.

You definitely need that relay for long life of your winch switch.

Rick

#6 ·
Hi: That Solenoid looking like a Ford one -- could be used as the Solenoid for starting the bike -- I seen people use them for that reason when the Honda Solenoid gives up.

#7 ·
I have a PDF copy of the A2000 winch manual. It shows a 4-pole solenoid, much like a Ford, and a wiring diagram. I found some info online that the Camdec 3-pole solenoid grounds through its mounting, eliminating the 4th pole, which is used as a ground for shielded solenoids. I will review all the current winch wiring and see what's going on. Apparently, in its current situation, the Camdec solenoid is not doing anything but making noise (clicking like it should) and grounding when power is supplied.

#8 ·
hook the winch up, and see if it goes in and out after you connect the solenoid ?. if not ?, then the solenoid is bad, and you will need a new contact switch ( this is also called the solenoid ).

#9 ·
Well, I spent most of the day washing clothes and running errands, and then working on the riding mower; it's about to start its 15th cutting season. Main issue right now is a dead battery, which I have put on a charger to see if it can be revived.

I looked at the winch wiring and found that the forward and reverse wires from the winch are wired correctly to the butterfly direction switch. However, the current on-off switch appears to only interrupt the negative lead to the butterfly direction switch; the positive lead goes to the battery box. I still don't have a battery yet, but I used my battery charger to check operation of circuits. The Camdec solenoid is wired to the ATV ignition switch and operates as previously described. I hooked the charger to the winch positive lead, but I couldn't get the winch to operate; the charger probably doesn't put out enough amperage. I know the winch was working properly just before I bought it.

I used a multimeter and checked the Camdec solenoid off the ATV. There is no continuity between the opposed lugs when there is no power. I clamped the negative battery charger lead to the mounting bracket and touched the positive battery charger lead to the small lug; it clicked as before. I left it clamped to the small lug and checked the large lugs; now there was continuity between them, so the Camdec solenoid appears to be working properly.

I will put the winch on-off switch in series between the Camdec solenoid small lug and ATV ignition switch and re-wire the positive and negative leads to the butterfly direction switch, and wire the Camdec solenoid main lugs in series with the positive lead. This arrangement looks similar to the wiring diagram in the manual.

#10 ·
Finally got a battery and got the winch re-wired. Only was able to work on it a little here and there over the last few days, mainly due to weather, work, other commitments. Took a lot of time to weave the new wires in and around the frame and such to have a clean, uncluttered installation. Used heat-shrink on all the spliced connections and some terminal ends I replaced. As previously planned, I did put a new switch between the solenoid and ignition switch. It has a red LED in the toggle that lights up when the circuit is activated. Checked the winch; it works, but ran in reverse of how the butterfly switch is wired. Ran the cable all the way out since it was all tangled up on the drum. Thankfully it didn't jam, although it came close a couple of times. Apparently it was run out all the way before, and then rewound in the wrong direction with no load to keep the cable taut. I'll take care of that when I rewind it by hooking it to my Jeep and rewinding / pulling the ATV towards the Jeep.

#11 ·
Matching the Butterfly Switch...

It's easy. The two BIG wires (Blue and Yellow) on the winch Body can be swapped. OR the 2 little control wire (Green and Black) can be swapped. OR the wires (Blue and Yellow) that GO to the Winch Body can be swapped on the Solenoid.

EASIEST is probably the 2 small wires. Usually a slip on/push on terminal connector. No tool necessary...

#12 ·
Also the supply wiring from the battery. I noticed when I disassembled the butterfly switch that the positive and negative were reversed. This butterfly switch is the old-style, mounted to the front rack and is about baseball-sized. I'm assuming that it was installed when the ATV was new because all the mechanical work looks "professional" and I see that it was a dealer-installed option in some sales literature I have. I will make sure the drum rotation is right, to spool in / out from the bottom of the drum, to align with the hawse opening on the winch mounting plate. I have a roller fairlead on the front bumper after that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.