2006 TRX350 4x4 front wheel wobbling...? - Honda ATV Forum
Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 10:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member #84282
View Paologray's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1 times
2006 TRX350 4x4 front wheel wobbling...?

Hi Chaps,

My 2006 TRX350 4x4 has a slight issue.

I've just today changed the front right wheel bearing as I thought that was the issue but it turns out that it's not...

When I jack the front of the bike up I can grab the wheel and move it in all directions a good inch before I start moving against the steering mechanism. Any ideas what this would be? My local Honda dealer reckons it's a worn out knuckle. Yes the bearing wasn't TIGHT to get in, but it was snug(ish)...

Any ideas please?

Thanks in advance

Paul - Wales UK.
Paologray is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 01-11-2017, 01:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member #84298
View Carolynskiii's Photo Gallery(0)
All directions? Look at the arms do they move too? If so you my need new bushings at the arms.
Carolynskiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Member #33621
View Jeepwm69's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 385 times
Worn out knuckle if the bearing wasn't tight going in.

Is the knuckle moving at the ball joints (worn out ball joints) or is it just in the bearing?
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2017, 01:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member #84282
No, no movement on the linkages.

The knuckle doesn't move, that stays put while the tyre, wheel, brake hub and half shaft all move.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Member #33621
I can't believe you're getting THAT much play with a new bearing, even if the knuckle is shot. Did you forget the circlip that holds the bearing in the knuckle?
Old 01-11-2017, 03:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member #84282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post
I can't believe you're getting THAT much play with a new bearing, even if the knuckle is shot. Did you forget the circlip that holds the bearing in the knuckle?
No didn't forget that - almost did...!

It's almost like there's a spacer missing, something just to pack it all out a bit more. However, I had my 2ft long breaker bar on the castle hub nut and put it on REAL tight - no change in the wobble.

Does the inner dust seal mate up with the end of the half shaft or should there be some clearance?
Old 01-11-2017, 03:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Member #33621
Inner rubber seal should be a tight fit around the axle end, but that wouldn't give you wobble. Wobble has to come from the bearing.

What kind of bearing did you put in? All Balls are crap, and if you get one that is out of spec it won't fit worth a crap.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1388 times
agreed with jeepwm69^^, '' all balls '' are pure junk. and I also say your knuckle bearing diameter is prob out of spec ?. I use nothing but oem or '' boss bearing '', been very happy with '' boss bearing '' so far. how's the hub spines ?..show any signs of stripping ??, wear on the race area ?.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member #84282
Thanks again for all the replies, chaps.

Here's the full story:

I went to my local Honda quad place (which apparently are very well respected for being possibly the best in the UK - how lucky am I!?). I spoke with the head mechanic there, and he told me if the bearing isn't a tight fit going in to the knuckle/hub then it needs changing (the knuckle). He said he's changed literally hundreds, and now he doesn't bother fitting the knuckle back on if it's not tight going in, as he just ends up having to take it off again.

So with that in mind, I bought the knuckle from the parts dept. Brand new, genuine part, with bearing already pressed in, dust seals in place AND the bottom ball joint - 62 plus VAT! I couldn't believe it. That's so cheap. The guy on the counter told me the prices for Honda genuine parts have come down so much in the last 18 months, and that coupled with the amount of spares they order means a good deal for me.

So tomorrow I'll hopefully be fitting that knuckle.

And yes, it was a genuine bearing and seals I fitted yesterday. Oh well, I suppose I've got a couple of spares ready to go on now!

I'll post back here when I've done the job...

Last edited by Paologray; 01-12-2017 at 05:42 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1388 times
I find it odd that knuckles go bad ?, I don't see hardly any bad in all the atvs I've worked on ?, people must be rough on them in other parts of the world I guess ?..lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance