Honda ATV Forum banner

Try doing this first!

57K views 69 replies 34 participants last post by  parulfojii 
#1 · (Edited)
I see alot of our fellow riders up here having electrical issues with their quads. I want to reiterate to anyone working on the electrical systems of their machine that you cannot do anything without a manual,wiring schematic, and a multi meter. alot of the issues i have seen with these machines have been relativly simple repairs. If you take the time and go through every wire and every component chances are you will find the culprit and it not be that 400 dollar CDI or stator, but a bad ground or broke contact in the ignition switch. Take my quad for instance the guy I got it from had been working on it off and on for over a year brand new engine and he could not get it to fire. I got it from him and within 10 min. I had it running, the revers switch wasn't hooked up, I bypassed it a bam it started. You need to check, recheck, when you think you checked it check it agian. I am a firm believer in Die-Electric grease.
So before you venture out and buy that stator, CDI or ICM, check for that loose wire, broken wire, or bad ground. You might be relieved in the long run, and be able to spend the 3 or 4 hundred on something nicer than a needless part. Good Luck :lifting:

Added 09/29/09
I also want to say that the same goes for the mechanical aspect of these quads do a little homework ask questions there are alot of sharp guys on here. Red, Saber,Tom, Pain and myself just to name a few there are alot of others but these are who I can think of right now.

ADDED 9/29/12
hahaha just looked at the edit dates. Ironic
Anyway over the past 3 years or so I have really gotten aquainted with these machines. The older ones you can use a standard mulit-meter and OHM the components to check them, on the newer say 93 and up you WILL need a peak voltage adapter, I cannot stress enough when I say Clean your connections, check all grounds and tighten all nuts and bolts. I do also realize some of our members are extremely young and do not want to take the time to figure it out on their own. . . For all of you... the search tab is at the top right. The way I see it if you can ride you can read, if you can follow directions you can fix.

See less See more
#69 ·
Help please! So I bought a 04 Honda rubicon 500 lost fire I figured usual regulator well It had to have a CDI box and ignition coil and then I got it running and it said code 6 (bad angle sensor commen problem) replaced it now it reads code 4 (not enough volts going to shift motor/sensor) I do not have a manual and I don't know where to start any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!