Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #6999
View wmkennedy25's Photo Gallery(0)
honda recon oil change?

do i need to do anything other than change the oil and put new spark plug in? how much oil do i need to put back? havent had it but three weeks so i want to change before i ride too much due to me not knowing how long its been since its been changed! any help is greatly appriciated!
wmkennedy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 12-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 9 times
Quote:
do i need to do anything other than change the oil and put new spark plug in?
You might want to check and clean the air filter and check the oil level in the differential.

Quote:
how much oil do i need to put back?
1.7 quarts. Make sure you use an oil designed for wet clutches. Most automotive oils have friction modifiers that will make the clutch slip. The recommended oil is Honda GN4.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #6999
View wmkennedy25's Photo Gallery(0)
thanks for the reply! im not real sure about the oil in the differential never messed with that before but of course im new so any tips on that? what kind of oil would it need? sorry im asking so many questions im just new but i am a quick learner! thanks again!
wmkennedy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 9 times
Quote:
thanks for the reply! im not real sure about the oil in the differential never messed with that before but of course im new so any tips on that?
The oil fill hole for the diff is on the main top of the diff. On the left side of the diff, down near the bottom, there's a check bolt. Remove the check bolt and pour gear oil through the oil fill hole until oil starts to run back out the check bolt. Reinstall the check bolt and reinstall the top oil fill plug. When you remove the check bolt if oil is already coming out, you won't need to add any gear oil. Remember to check the oil level with the ATV sitting as level as possible.

Quote:
what kind of oil would it need?
For the diff, use SAE 80 Hypoid gear oil.

For the engine, the recommended oil is Honda GN4, 10W-40. In colder temps, use 5W-30.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page
02 honda recon 250 es oil specs
honda 250 recon oil change

honda recon 250 oil change

honda recon maintenance

honda recon oil capacity

honda recon oil change

how to change oil and filter on a honda 250 recom
how to change oil in a honda 250 recon
how to change oil in honda recon 4 wheeler
how to change oil on a honda 250 recon atv
how to change oil on honda recon 250
what oil do i put in a honda recon 4-weler
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.