Honda ATV Forum banner

OEM or CHINA KNOCK-OFF ?

35K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  LedFTed 
#1 ·
Listen outlaws, I know we all want to save a buck or two ?, and try to get our atv's running as fast as we can ?, but..when it comes to certain parts for them ?..please...PLEASE..do not buy after market carbs..or c.d.i's !!!!. they are cheap for a reason ?!..reason being..well..THEY ARE CHEAPLY MADE, AND WILL NOT LAST...OR EVEN WORK FOR THAT MATTER !. for what it cost to rebuild a carb ?, you can save a ton of cash, instead of buying these stupid china knock-off carbs !. they are a hit and miss. buy the carb rebuild kit !!. as for the c.d.i's ?, yes..some are good, some may last a year ?, maybe even last more ?, or maybe even last a day ?, this is how those china knock-off's work !. sure, you may save a 100 bucks ?, but is saving that 100 bucks worth it, when your miles from home ?..heck no !. STOP BUYING THIS CHINA CRAP !!!!!..IT'S NOT WORTH IT IN THE LONG RUN !. I know, your broke...just like me ?, soooooo ??..whats your point ?, if ya can't fix it right ?..THEN DON'T MESS WITH IT AT ALL !. i'd rather sit at home, than be miles from home, wishing I had bought that dang OEM c.d.i. !!!!..lol. some parts we can skimp on ?, but when it comes to electrical parts for our atvs ?, well gang..this is a no brainer !!!..stop throwing money at the china knock-offs !!.

#3 ·
It doesnt help a lot of companies have sold their soul to the chinese devil for the sake of cutting costs either. sadly this is a common trend these days, but we dont have to make the problem worse by replacing a good part with something that isnt worth its weight in scrap metal.

the carbs of chinese origin that are "retrofits" or "direct replacements" are not made from the same design or specification as the original. many of these use jets that are stamped the same size but in fact the holes are SMALLER leading to lean and poor running issues. even the carb bodies themselves have holes that are SMALLER than what is in the OEM carb, so even if the correct jet is installed it is still too lean to operate correctly.

as for CDIs, if you cannot get your hands on one that is OEM and dont feel up to snuff to try and repair it yourself (there is a thread here describing how to repair the solder joints in them, if its screwed anyway it doesnt hurt to try to fix it at this point.) then i understand your conundrum of ordering an aftermarket CDI. as for those that DO have the option of ordering OEM or aftermarket by all means DO spend the money on the OEM box. being stuck in the woods blows, i dont care who you are.

as for the performance community and those that have access to REPUTABLE aftermarket CDI boxes (Dynatek/Tokyomods etc.) this is not aimed at you, but rather the machines that dont have these mods available.

as for the aftermarket ECU/PCMs made by ProCom for fuel injected models, THESE ARE ALSO CHINESE JUNK. i have replaced wiring harnesses that have shorted in half because the ECU/PCM had an internal short. they are also tuned to only work at approximately 76 degrees farenhiet, otherwise its rich or lean and HECK to start. these should NOT even be an option for any of you EFI machine owners.

#4 ·
I totally agree! I had a starter that was bad on my 300, bought a cheap chinese knock off and installed it. It worked!... for a year... and I was right back where I started (no pun intended). Fortunately I had kickstart and was able to get home so I could order another cheap chinese knock off :icon_rolleyes: It also worked but I'm not sure how long it lasted because I sold it while it still worked :icon_ laughup:

#5 ·
I agree with shade, and in the long run its more expensive, like if you have to buy 10 ten dollar cheap cdis, you would have spent 100 dollars, and that money coulda been used to buy the right O.E.M cdi, so buy O.E.M. on 98% of your parts, and buy a part made in America, Canada, Britain, etc for the other 2% of parts, because most of the time they have more pride in there work, so its generally better than the cheap china knockoff part.

#9 ·
Darn Shade! I was going to order one of the items shown below. However, after reading your message, I'll cancel the order. Thanks for the warning. :) Kent
now...why the heck can't I ever see something like that ^^^ on ebay ??..lmfaooooooooo..i'd have to think twice about passing that china knock-off up !..lmfaooooo.

Reactions: kentco
#7 ·
Yeah Kent I've heard bad things about those don't last long very expensive to maintain and the customer service is not good

#11 ·
Run a china carb on a friends trx200 with no issues yet lol.

#14 ·
Even Craftsman has sold out...to China. I never thought I'd see the day that Craftsman tools were made overseas! It's so dang hard to find good parts for my '86...a lot not available anymore...totally frustrating.
yep. I was a die hard craftsman tool fan for many decades, even my dad raised me on craftsman, as he was a craftsman tool user as well. then I found out craftsman went to china ?, what a let down !!!. all my craftsman tools when I bought them many years ago, now if they break ?, I take them back to be traded for a piece of china crap !!!. and they have the nerve to tell me ..'' well sir...they are just as good if not better '' ?!. yeah...and you can call me Donald trump !!..lmfao no way in heck can they convince me they are the same tools !!!!. cheaply made, don't feel the same in your hands, and does not last nearly as long !. soooo..i switched to cobalt from lowes, pretty nice tools in my book !!.

#25 ·
non moving china parts

hammers have handles that fail an get loose, the hammer heads also are soft an get dents an such, as my head, though i am not made in china. ;~} //Ed

#20 ·
So this post got me thinking about my carb.

It was replaced by the PO and I haven't paid much attention to it yet.

Who makes the carbs for the trx300fw? Keihin?

This is the one on there, Made in Japan. Remember when that meant crap?

Anyone recognise this? Any good?
first pic is not a oem carb !. I say this, because Honda has NEVER..EVER..use plastic fuel inlets on the trx300 oem carbs. second pic also does not look to be a oem carb ?, the trx300 carbs never had a short piece of tube attached to the carb facing down. last but not least, you won't buy a oem carb off ebay for under 300 bucks if I am not mistaken ?..lol. china carbs ?.yeah..all day for under a 100 bucks, but not a oem carb !.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.