Honda ATV Forum banner

ring sequence on a piston

45K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  ostrx250 
#1 ·
I have a 2007 honda reacon es and I am replacing the piston and rings and was wondering if there is a certain order the rings new to go in? Like thickest to thinest, can anyone help with this?

#3 ·
Welcome to the forums. The two thinnest rings and the funny looking ring go in the bottom groove. That leaves two rings, a black one and a shiny one, the shiny one goes in the top groove. Any writing or markings on the rings faces up. The diagram in FloatingForeman's link will show more detail and where to position the end gaps.

#4 ·
Welcome to the forums

Make sure you check the end gap clearance on the rings before installing them on the piston. slide a ring in the cylinder keeping it even all the way around and with a feeler gauge check the clearance the top ring will differ from the second and so on. FYI install the accordion looking ring first then the 2 thin rings. Just my 2 liincolns

#7 ·
If everything else is correct ie cylinder bore. Ring end gap is a good indicator of bore wear and ring wear. But, the gap can be no less than the spec or else the ring gap will close upon heating up and can break. A larger than spec gap means that there is wear.

#6 ·
Welcome to the forums!

#8 ·
I agree with Exaviator. Always check the end gap. If the cylinder is worn, the ring gap might be out of spec, in which case, you need to bore the cylinder and fit oversized piston and rings to match. The end gaps on new, standard size rings are set to match a new cylinder, but will work in a used cylinder, as long as the end gaps don't measure out of spec in the cylinder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.